Mesa Peak Trail is a 4.8 mile out and back trail located near Calabasas, California that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and offers a number of activity options.

Distance: 4.8 miles Elevation Gain: 1,430 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Fantastic trail- amazing scenery and wildflowers, great view of Malibu and the valley

Car got broken into. Cash and debit cars were stolen while my husband and I were hiking. BEWARE

Really great trail with a nice vista at the end. Definitely a good steady climb and was a great workout with lots of variation in scenery. Did want to let everyone know to be extra cautious here, as my car was broken into while I was on the trail. The lock was busted apart and my wallet and purse stolen. So hide your things or take them with you! And to the people who robbed me, I had some important work notes in that bag. You have my address I’d love to get those back.

It was a good hike for an early day. Would not recommend doing this when it’s incredibly hot out since there’s not much shade once you get up top. Paid parking was a bummer.

bridge out

Uh

Typical trail for this area: straight up a fire road with nice views of the mountains and beaches dotted with million dollar homes. Good exercise trail for sure but not much of a nature walk; you can hear the road most of the time. We were lucky and went up while it was overcast but in full sun I can see how this would be super hot. Also, you have to pay to park at the trailhead.

Awesome views. Some shade at the beginning but quickly becomes a fire road that's wide and clear with little to protect you from the sun. Went on a late morning on a Sunday in August, and it was both slightly warm (not too hot) and not too crowded (passed no more than a dozen people the whole time). The "peak" is basically a picnic bench with views of the ocean, but there's a lot more trail to keep going on along a ridge in two extra directions.

I really liked this hike to change up my normal all terrain hike usually done at Stoney point on Topanga. It’s is very peaceful, but get ready to put your gluteal, calves, and leg muscles in overdrive! I was dying my first time making all the way up on the first try. It’s like putting the treadmill on incline 15 or more the entire way.

Sun Apr 28 2019

beautiful views, gave it 4 stars because its a fire road, and you can hear the road most of the time.

Tue Mar 26 2019

Would definitely recommend this trail. It has an approximate 3 mile moderate uphill climb to the peak. There are a few shaded areas but mostly exposed to sun. The view at the top is a jewel not to be missed! Careful on the downhill as it’s a bit slippery in spots. Would definitely do again!

Mon Mar 25 2019

Great views from the top! Not too many people vs some other hikes I have done recently which was nice as well. The path has large sections as you get higher up that aren’t shaded so would recommend going earlier in the morning to avoid the full sun and heat.

Mon Mar 25 2019

Great peak trail. Pretty uphill but the views are worth it, so bring lots of water. Parked is $8 all day at the trail head and there is a picnic bench at the top to enjoy some lunch with such a nice view

Sun Mar 24 2019

Absolutely stunning views of the peaks. Perfect time of year to go in the spring when the flowers are blooming and all is still green. Would be a hot hike in the summer- not much shade over most of the trail.

Sun Mar 24 2019

Had a good time with some friends who wanted to do something other than their typical Runyon hike. This is a good introduction into the Santa Monica Mountains. The elevation is nice and the marine gave us ample shade as we closed in on the peak. Beautiful weather with good company.

Sat Mar 23 2019

Great hike! Good incline for a workout , wide open trails, and excellent views! Cool to see all the new life sprouting up after the fires last year. Nice contrast of the old growth and new growth on the mountains. Among my favorite SoCal hikes for a half-day hike so far.

Sat Mar 23 2019

This trail was basically 5 stars, but I'm giving it 4 to leave some room to encourage it to be better. Sometimes I give trails 5 stars and then they get all comfortable and never strive to be better — I don't want this to happen to Mesa Peak.

Mon Mar 11 2019

I’ve lived in LA for 10 years and hike a lot. I never tried this trail because I was turned off by all of the cars at the trailhead (I like to be alone) but finally did it and in my book, this is the perfect hike (with incredible views of the coast). The first third is a bit hard with relatively steep incline but then it flattens out and the way back is all down.

Sat Feb 16 2019

A bit muddy after all the rain but absolutely gorgeous. Not a lot of hikers.

Mon May 21 2018

Great hike for good views and a decent work out. Went up to the picnic table about 2.5 miles in. Have to come back and take the Backbone Trail even further! Good incline not strenuous.