Merced Grove Trail [CLOSED]

easyYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(93)
Yosemite National Park

Merced Grove Trail is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 4.1 miles Elevation Gain: 751 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

It has been reported this trail has a temporary closure due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

icy

Dirt road basically, some snowy patches but snowshoes or yaktracks not needed. Some trees down beyond the sequoias

icy

a great hike down to the giant sequoias and a cute little cabin. continued down the trail until we got to the creek. decided not to cross it. to the creek is 2.3 miles one way. some icy patches but not a bad hike. bit of a climb of the way back out (600ft) .

This was a nice trail with some beautiful trees. The cabin is pretty cool to see. There really isn’t much to see for a half mile past the cabin, and I think the trail should have ended at the cabin. If you’re trying to choose which grove to visit the Mariposa grove is much larger with the visitors center and hundreds more trees.

Agréable promenade. Départ tranquille pour une descente douce de 40 mns avec à l’approche d’un petit chalet de magnifiques alignements de séquoias. La balade se poursuit sur un sentier plus etroit sans difficulté. Retour par le même chemin pour 50 mns.

We did this hike at 5 p.m. The beginning is very flat, but then you have to go down to see the trees. We saw several clusters of enormous trees, but it would have been helpful if there were signs to let us know if there were more further on or if we had seen them all. The trail got narrower and started to look a bit overgrown, so we turned back soon after the cabin. The uphill hike back to the flat path was fairly steep in places.

Sat Apr 20 2019

Sun Apr 07 2019

Mon Apr 01 2019

Mon Dec 31 2018

we did it in December with little kids. really worth it. easy trail but it's a grove so you have to go down... and then up... but you get to see a lot of sequoias. good winter alternative to mariposa grove

Tue Nov 20 2018

Don't let the National Park description fool you! The Merced Grove of Giant Sequoia is far more impressive than the Tuolumne Grove. I counted at least 30 Giants and there are additional younger ones. The grove is only part of the fun. You can continue down this historic wagon trail all the way to the Old Coulterville road. The Twin Bridges no longer exist, but the foundation is still there. 7 miles, 3 1/2 hours, and a 1,000+ foot elevation gain in reverse!

7 Miles, four hours, 1,000 feet elevation gain in reverse, 30+ Giant Sequoia, and remnants of an old Wagon Trail. What a beautiful and special hike!

Tue Jun 12 2018

My boyfriend & I went on a road trip to Yosemite and came across Merced Grove Trail and decided to check it out. Trail wasn't difficult. It looked well maintained until you pass up the cute cabin and trail becomes very narrow and muddy and a lot of bushes and were not trimmed at all and you end up trying to swat flying bugs everywhere and dodging cobwebs. We didn't think it would be safe to keep going so we turned around and it's hike uphill back to the entrance. But otherwise it's a beautiful hike. You get to see the beauty of the Sequoia trees & gigantic pine cones.

Mon May 14 2018

Given that I’m more of a day trip hiker I would rate this probably moderate for the incline on the return trip. I pushed a jogger stroller though which was handy when our 3 year old decided she wanted a lift. The scenery is beautiful and shaded and you will find several groups of sequoias near the cabin. They are big but not like others we’ve seen. All in all we had great family time and would do it again.

Sun May 13 2018

This trail is just inside of the park with limited parking. We hiked to the river and turned around. The few sequoia trees you see are pretty cool but that is really all this trail offers. It is mostly a slight down hill most of the way; so expect the up hill return trip. Its a nice short hike.

Sun Feb 25 2018

nice short walk when I went in February it began to snow and there was half inch of snow on the ground which was pretty cool

Sun Nov 12 2017

Great bit of exercise on a nice trail. Seeing the grove at the end of the trail was well worth the walk.

Tue Oct 17 2017

Great hike. Trees are beautiful!

Wed Aug 23 2017

This was a nice stroll in the woods I went on 8/22/17 and I hardly saw anyone else which I loved. I went a little past the cabin trying to get to "twin bridges" which is an extra mile but there were too many spider webs and flies buzzing around my head so I turned around but wish I had time to have seen what was at the end. All in all there is beautiful scenery but be prepared the uphill is a whole mile before it levels out again. I would rate this a tad harder than easy but very doable but the uphill part does get your heart going. Bathrooms at the parking area. Nice hike I'd do it again.

Wed Jun 21 2017

a nice walk in the woods

Tue May 30 2017

Easy hike esp with kids, less crowded on weekdays. Since Mariposa Grove is closed for the season due to restoration and I need to show my children Grove of Giant Sequoias. The snow still melting so par of the trails are wet. The trail is a nice quiet walk among the trees.

Fri Apr 07 2017

This is a sweet little walk that doesn't take long at all. I think if I were to do it again, I'd start there about 9:00 am then finish about 11:00, have a picnic lunch, then go over to Hetch Hetchy for that hike. The trail is all dirt and we had to climb over a couple of trees. There was some snow on the ground, but nothing to really think about.

Sat Jun 11 2016

The trail starts off rather flat then reaches a fork in the trail and you will turn left. After this turn, it is downhill from there and you pass by some sequoias along the trail itself. You will also pass by some sequoias that are behind fencing in attempt to manage the site. The trees are large and the trail is well maintained.

Mon Oct 12 2015

A nice hike through wooded area with a few groves of some wonderfully large trees.

Wed Jan 15 2014

This was a great day hike. Did it with my 10 year old son. Hiked down to the grove and continued on for another 1.5 miles to Old Coulterville Road. Mostly flat from the grove with some fallen trees that we had to climb over or around. Started to very lightly rain as we turned back, a nice touch to a fun hike. We took frequent breaks to eat snacks, hydrate, and explore a little off-trail. Out and back took us roughly 5 hours.

Sun Jun 30 2013

Lovely hike on a maintained dirt road. Easy walk down to the sequoias then a workout for the uphill return trip. Beautiful forest with many giant sequoias among other plants native to the Sierras!