Mentryville: Pico Canyon Trail

Mentryville: Pico Canyon Trail is a 7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Stevenson Ranch, California. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and trail running. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If you'd like some extra mileage, park your car outside the main gate and walk to central Mentryville before continuing on up the trail.

Easy walk, lots of trees. Beautiful and hardly anyone there during the week.

Parking is 5$, payable in cash, apart from that, absolutely brilliant hike.

great hike for a newbie like myself. Did it alone early in the morning and was happy to have the trail almost all to myself. up hill the whole first half. lots of wildlife and birds.

I did this trail on a Tuesday afternoon. It was clear sunny skies in the mid 80's. I passed a handful of people in the first mile or so. But once I started going deeper up the trail I only passed 1 bicyclist. There's a short offshoot trail about half a mile in, that's a nice dirt path and a bunch of small wooden bridges over a stream bed. At the end of it you can climb straight up the side of the mountain for 100 feet but you'll have to get your hands dirty. I did this and it kicked my ass. I had to rest for 10 minutes at the top before coming back down and continuing back up the main trail. Including this smaller trail my Apple watch says I exerted 927 calories to complete exactly 8 miles of hiking while climbing 15,39 feet. It took me just under 3 hours to complete. Great views of Santa Clarita valley all along the last mile of hiking. I completed the hike without bringing any water, but I would recommend bringing some.

First half of the hike is a newly paved road with a slight incline. Once you make that first sharp "U" at the western most point you start going up a steeper incline on a semi paved road that's probably seen north of 50 winters since it was last maintained.

Good workout. Great history and such. Much more challenging once blacktop ends. Best cooler weather or morning hike. Not much shade upper part.

Nice fire road trail where you can walk and talk, while enjoying the scenery.

Interesting hike lots to see but all road walking

Monday, November 21, 2016

Decent hike. Would prefer there be no pavement but it was still nice once you started up the mountain. Great for cooler weather. Hiked to the picnic bench at the top and ran it all the way back. Great views.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Great place to run!

Monday, September 05, 2016

Excellent walk, don't be deceived by the easy asphalt walking, it gets more difficult.
Great to be out in the open air

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Nice, mostly paved trail near my home. I've hiked and biked this several times. My dogs love it, too. Interesting history including several old buildings and the site of the first commercial oil well in California. Consider adding to your hike (and save a few dollars on parking) by parking outside the park. Watch for rattlesnakes and coyotes...I have encountered both in this area.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Great steady uphill for mountain bikers. Will record the route on my next outing

Sunday, January 03, 2016

This is a nice out and back trail with historic significance. Ran across several bikers but all had good trail etiquette.

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Good all level trail with an old fire road that leads all the way to the summit. The final 2 mile incline gives you a moderate cardio workout. I saw picnic tables at two different points along the trail, nice secluded shaded areas for a picnic. Beautiful view from the top.

Monday, August 19, 2013

too much overgrrowth and snakes

Monday, June 25, 2012

No cell reception and I got rattled at just on the walk from where i parked on the road to the trail sign! Too spooked to go on beyond the gravel parking lot since I didn't have a buddy with: next time I will, just in case i have another rattler run-in.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Very wide hiking trail. Elevation gain 1800 ft. Cyclists ride up and down, amazingly to me. View from the ridgeline is spectacular. I walked to the trail from Fairfield Inn off I-5, and all the way up Pico Canyon Rd, up the trail and back. Lots of hiking but well worth the trip.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Fun bike hide or hike. In the summer watch out for snakes. Lots of fun stuff to see: old structures, pumps, BBQ, etc. Last mile a hard climb. Enjoy