Mendocino Headlands Trail

Mendocino Headlands Trail is a 4.2 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Mendocino, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

beach

cave

Beautiful place with lots of birds!

Gorgeous. Stopped in briefly, wish we had more time to spend there! Terrific view, easy walking along the meadows and headlands. Can walk down some stairs to the beach at Big River as well.

Absolutely gorgeous easy hike along the coastline. Stunning views of the Mendocino coast. Pretty wild flowers growing along the way. It's a point to point so have a game plan for when you reach the end. I chose to run back to the trailhead through town.

This is such an amazing place to take a walk and just forget everything around you. You have a great view of the bluffs and you can hear the waves crashing on the rocks. When I lived in Mendo I would grab a coffee at Moody's Coffee Bar and walk down to The Headlands. So relaxing.

Easy trail along the bluffs. Great views

Amazing sunrise and sunset views of the coast. There were a few spots where you could get down to the beach as well. A very easy trail with almost no elevation change unless you go down to the beach.

Beautiful scenery

Absolutely beautiful! So many beautiful spots and a couple beach access trails. 100% recommend this trail it's so pretty! Everywhere you look there is an amazing view. If you visit Mendocino you should definitely visit this trail and even if you only walk a little part of the trail it is a must do!

Monday, March 28, 2016

Awesome views of the bluffs and the ocean with several hidden beaches! Spectacular sunset! Our dogs love the trails!

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Friday, April 26, 2013

A great walk with spectacular views of the rocky coast, assuming the weather cooperates. This is what I think of when I think of Mendocino, CA, and whenever I get the chance to visit, I always go back to these trails. Very accessible, and often crowded, but the reason for its popularity is pretty clear. We did this on a windy Wednesday, when the fog had just let up, and despite the weather, it was still pretty amazing.

Monday, January 14, 2013

This is an easy walk that can be started from any number of locations including the Ford House Museum.
This is where I started my most recent walk on Jan. 1 2013--this was a special State Park guided hike with a history lecture included. Interestingly, even though it was windy, our tour guide brought photographs of the lumber mill and timber loading chutes remnants of which she pointed out as we walked.

Even without the guided history lecture this is one of the most beautiful spots on the north coast. I rate it a 4, even though it can be somewhat crowded on weekends, due to its exceptional beauty. Also, you can bird watch, whale watch or just take in the scenery with or without a camera. On New Years Day at 8:30 AM there was no crowd at all.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Spectacular beauty! Nice walking trail with incredible ocean edge views.