Learn more

McKinley Firebreak Trail is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Highland, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,456 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed
private property

This is NOT a legit trail. It’s a firebreak that was scratched out years ago during a wildfire. It’s not safe due to the ridiculously step incline and high probability of getting bitten by snakes because you can’t see anything. Also the guy at the end of the street posted signs so he might tow you. Don’t hike here! Let the vegetation grow back.

great trail but really overgrown in some areas. after starting the trail, there is a steep incline, and near the end of the hike it is a little steep (and fairly overgrown). watch out for wildlife.

Just perusing old hiking trails from when I was a kid in Highland, California-- 1956-1962. Neighborhood boyz and I did this hike to this awesome mountain McKinley. Back then we could roam freely and go almost anywhere -- just when they were lots of orange groves (but we're getting slashed to make developments), we'd go up past Patton (loony bin) and up and up. Probably exaggerating if I said we did it a lot -- in fact maybe once I made it to the top. It was glorious and cemented my lifelong love of hiking and nature. Glad I checked this. Haven't been in Cali for decades. Live in Central New York. You gotta go to the top!

recorded McKinley Firebreak Trail

Moderatly difficult because of two steep inclines, some parts of the trail are overgrown and washed out. Worth climbing over the last hill to have a 360 scenic view.

Wed Mar 27 2019

Beware of snakes. Great workout. Great views. Bring plenty water

Sat Jan 05 2019

Loved this hike. A lot of steady incline but the beautiful views make it worth it.

Wed Aug 23 2017

The trail is very easy to find n there's no trespassing signs or anything like that but there was a recent fire that burned some of this area n it's barren n sad looking to the left. The first incline it's pretty steep so I think this hike is on the harder end of moderate. Once u get past that first scare the rest is easier. I didn't venture that far in n I saw a coyote. I could hear water by where the trees are but there's kind of tall grass n brush n it looked to steep to try venturing down

Sun May 28 2017

Not well maintained, I think we need to set up a work party. We only hiked a small portion.

Sat May 27 2017

Trail was easy to find but very quickly we can see that it was not maintained and overgrown making it impassable.

Thu Mar 23 2017

We decided not to go all the way up because of the steep incline that may have required us to go on all fours in parts. But there are pretty views.

Sat Mar 11 2017

Easy

Sat Feb 25 2017

It was not bad good size trail at about 0.5 mile they is a good climb up, really the hardest part. All the recent rain has made it pretty green and nicer then expected.

Sun Apr 24 2016

Disappointing, this trail should be taken down. Found the trailhead easy enough, but it really only was 1/2 mile at the most. The fire road ends abruptly at a ravine and looks to continue further up on the other side. Maybe there is another way to access the fire road higher up the hill. This trail needs to be updated!!!!! Great views.

Tue Oct 06 2015

You can access the trail at the end of North La Praix Ave at coordinates 34.1423739 / -117.2004104. The posted trailhead is gated off. The trail has great elevation with wonderful views.

recorded McKinley Firebreak Trail