McIvers Road OHV Trail is a 12.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Onyx, California that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 12.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,935 feet Route Type: Out & Back

ohv / off road driving

This is an OHV trail. The road has sections of large whoops which makes it difficult for any vehicle to hit speed. There are sections of old broken asphalt and you will want to have a 4WD to get through this route. High clearance is recommended. If you stop at McIvers Cabin, it is a popular shelter stop for PCT hikers.

ohv/off road driving

Road is in good condition but I’d recommend short wheel based 4x4 beyond the point I stopped. There is easy access along my route but the road becomes more difficult due to the many quads and Razor type vehicles that have turned the road beyond my point into high banked, deep rutted roads that are more difficult to traverse with a standard long bed truck. Nice area with good views of the Upper Desert area with Pinion Pine and other shrubs.

Sun May 26 2019

Cool little trail. There are a few roads leading to the trail head from the 14. In this case I used Horse Canyon Road. Like other reviews mentioned, the road has sections of whoops, too large for any vehicle without long travel suspension to hit at speed, so it makes it a bit slow. There are also some pretty good sections of corrugations. Low tire pressure and keeping a descent pace will help soften the ride. Just before you start to climb you will start to hit real chunky sections. Some sections of old asphalt, some really soft corners and some rocky sections. Once you begin the climb it is pretty deceiving how steep it is. My 4Runner is a pig, carrying 700+lbs in equipment, so the I could really feel the climb. The sections of broken asphalt continue, and some sections of the road are really chunky. I we got to the trail head late. The sun had begun to set and portions of a storm were moving in. So I definitely got to put my auxiliary lights to work. The wind was blowing 30+mph with driving rain. It didn't take long for that rain to turn to snow. Yes snow on Memorial Day Weekend, in the desert. I was losing traction at the rear wheels early in the climb, once in 4WD it was easy. The road surface is loose when wet. There is a decent washout early in the climb so keep an eye out for that, plenty of room to get by though. In dry conditions I'd say a 2WD with a locker would be exciting, but not impossible. You really want to have 4WD. High clearance is a must, anything lower than a stock SUV might struggle with some of the whoops. As for the hard rating, I'd say this was moderate, it only earned a hard rating once the weather moved in and took away traction. I didn't encounter any on this trip but I could see signs that a lot of UTV's use this trail, so keep an eye out for those.

Wed May 01 2019

I give this trail 3 stars because of all the whoop-ti-doos at the beginning. And there were a lot. If there wasn’t those, I’d give this 5 stars. I don’t really have a desire to do those again, unless I’m on a motorcycle. This was a cool trail and we met a ton of PCT thru-hikers camping at McIver’s Cabin. We offered to take out any trash that they’d been carrying and they were all very grateful. There was water at the cabin too but I don’t know if it required any treatment.

Thu Dec 27 2018

Great trail, we drove it in December and we ran into a little snow. Must visit this place. We did it in 4x4 Jeeps.

Mon Sep 30 2013

One of our all time favorite trails, bring your 4x4 it can get rough but the cabin is sweet at the end. Not a loop.

Sat Mar 09 2019