McGinty Mountain Trail

McGinty Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jamul, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

From northern or western San Diego, take the 54 East and merge onto the 94 East. The 94 eventually turns back into the 54, or, Jamacha Blvd. Pass the shopping centers and make your first right on Willow Glen Drive. Make your first right onto Steele Cyn Rd. where you will see signs for the Cottonwood Golf Course. Make your first left onto Jamul Drive. Drive carefully up the canyon for a couple miles and turn left into the dirt lot where the trailhead is located. From southern San Diego, or Campo area, drive up the 94 until you see Lyons Valley Rd. Turn right onto Lyons Valley, and left onto Jamul Drive. Right after you pass the Jamul Community Church, the trailhead parking lot will be on your right.

I really liked the trail, but had a hard time actually discerning the summit. Unless I didn't 'hit it', it's just a tiny rocky area with NO summit/elevation sign. I also was a bit skiddish with the very narrow trails in the beginning, I so wanted to cut all that brush off so I could have a better view if any snakes were to be near. The houses did make me feel like I wasn't too far out in the great unknown, but the actual trail was very pretty. I had to wait at one fork to ask another hiker if I was headed in the right direction to meet the summit.

went on this last weekend with a buddy, a good little hike.

This trail was very challenging for me as I had my infant daughter in a baby Bjorn - I would NOT recommend doing that! That said, I did really enjoy this trail. Lots of incredible views and wildflowers. There were a few parts where discerning the trail was a bit difficult as there are a few forks, and it's true that the area has lots of houses which can maybe take you out of the "nature/wilderness" mindset. The views were incredible though, and I would love to do this trail again... without the baby.

First time out today. Beautiful views at the top.

Cool, overcast day so views were OK but we missed some of the awesomeness, I'm sure. Varied landscape was nice. Flowers abundant right now. Steep climb in parts. Trail is eroded so rocky lots. Saturday morning a dozen hikers. Trailhead parking accommodates a dozen cars. If you take the west fork, keep the map handy cuz you'll need it to get back on the trail. East fork is much more travelled. Sadly, saw lots of dog poop right in the middle of the trail! Come on people!

Nice peaceful trail.

Really enjoyed this trail. Will definitely be back to finish it.

First hike with my gf and it was perfect!!!! We had a blast!!!