McGinty Mountain Trail

McGinty Mountain Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Jamul, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

From northern or western San Diego, take the 54 East and merge onto the 94 East. The 94 eventually turns back into the 54, or, Jamacha Blvd. Pass the shopping centers and make your first right on Willow Glen Drive. Make your first right onto Steele Cyn Rd. where you will see signs for the Cottonwood Golf Course. Make your first left onto Jamul Drive. Drive carefully up the canyon for a couple miles and turn left into the dirt lot where the trailhead is located. From southern San Diego, or Campo area, drive up the 94 until you see Lyons Valley Rd. Turn right onto Lyons Valley, and left onto Jamul Drive. Right after you pass the Jamul Community Church, the trailhead parking lot will be on your right.

First hike with my gf and it was perfect!!!! We had a blast!!!

great exercise but not a wilderness hike. trail is surrounded by houses.

Overall fun hike. Some of the trail isn't in the best shape though. Can be a little confusing the first time you hike it.

one of my personal favorites in San Diego county short, sweet, tough, and great views

I started from the Jamul Drive trailhead and took the lower trail by the mine on the way up, since there were geocaches I wanted to get, then I went along the ridge on the way back. I did this during a July heat wave with temperatures well north of 100° and had over a gallon of water. I drained the last of it on the way back and was glad to have several more gallons waiting for me at the trailhead. This is a decent hike, and with the western view I can imagine you would get some nice ocean sunsets if you don't mind coming back in the dark, or moonlight.