Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Matterhorn Peak is a 12.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bridgeport, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from June until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.2 miles Elevation Gain: 5,147 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Directions from Bridgeport: Follow the Twin Lakes Road until it ends at the Mono Village Resort. Parking is available at the far end of the resort area at no charge for day use, with a $5 fee for overnight parking.

Certainly tough, with route finding being the most difficult aspect. Completed in a full day.

One of the more difficult hikes I've done, but so worth it. Lots of hiking over loose rock. The trail disappears several times along the way. I recommend having the map downloaded for the hike. The hike took 10 hours with 3 of us. Started at 10 am and hiked out in the dark with headlamps. I was the only one to summit and that was at 4pm, so the climb was 6 hours and 4 hours on the way back down. Only took a few short breaks to eat. I recommend leaving early. Bring plenty of water, food, a headlamp and extra layers, especially a wind breaker. The scenery along the way and at the top is breathtaking.

Did this one solo today. Took me 8 hours and 45 minutes. It is a tough one. I recommend going with somebody. Solid day hike.

this recording is from our bivy to the climb /summit amd the descent and hike out.

Sun Oct 28 2018

The official trail dies out about 2.5 miles in, but many different use trails can be followed pretty much to the top. As a day hike, this is a pretty tough one! The summit block seems to be about a class 3, but the views are sensational. Route finding skills and a high level of fitness required, it’s a lot of elevation gain to the summit!

Tue Sep 11 2018

Epic climb. The trail is tough but it’s very navigable. As significant as the elevation gain is, didn’t seem too bad. Car to summit to car in under 7hr. It’s certainly longer than 11!

Wed Sep 05 2018

One of the most beautiful hikes I've ever done. It's pretty hardcore so make sure to come prepared. A water filter and plenty of food/snacks are required. I did it as a day hike and drank about 4 liters of water and burned a huge amount of calories. Trekking poles and gaiters will be very helpful as there is a lot of sand/talus. It took me about 11 hours to day hike so starting early in the morning is also a good idea. There was no snow on the trail in the beginning of September.

Wed Jul 11 2018

The hike is extremely difficult to complete in a day, especially if you haven't spent much time at elevation prior to attempting it. There is still some snow on the way up, but it is either soft enough to walk on or avoidable. All trails says it is an 11 miles in total, but we logged 14 miles. After about 2.5 miles, the trail basically disappears and the rest of the way involves quite a bit of scrambling. In total though, the hike is gorgeous and well worth the challenge.

Sun Jul 08 2018

The trial was tough. Easy to find the trail in the beginning but we lost the trail after the big scree field and had difficulties after our GPS failed in the middle of the hike, so attempted to use all trails with no service. Accidentally found a beautiful lake to camp at, but we were day hiking. Recommendations: Make it a two-day hike and park it at that lake at 9790ft vertical, about 4.2 miles in. Bring water filter because there is literally water everywhere and best to play safe than sorry.

Thu Dec 14 2017

This time of the year made the hike incredibly difficult mostly due to the lack of trail markers along the trail. We took the trail posted and honestly, it was a shit trail to take. It's worthless near the peak. We began at 6am and didn't finish until 9pm with 14.5 miles logged. Snow on the slopes were a huge time factor as was the class III scrambling, climbing. I recommend an alpine start and downloading a proper route via gps to prevent climbing the last 1.5mile.

Sat Sep 23 2017

The trail starts just south of Mono Village Campground at Twin Lakes, CA. There's no cell reception there, so I wasn't able to check in via the app. GPS is still fully intact for recording purposes, however, and pictures can be saved in the app for later uploading. This is by far the most visually astounding hike I've been on. The views of the Sierras and numerous waterfalls and lake vistas at points along the route are absolutely breathtaking. It's a continuous, switchback ascent to the top. We electively stopped our uphill trek about 1.8 miles from the base, although the trail continues for another 3.7 miles and climbs an additional 4,400 vertical feet from our turnaround point. We climbed 948 feet in elevation during our less than two-mile ascent. It took us around 2 hours to make the out-and-back trip. It's late September and there was a light dusting of snow on the ground at our finish elevation (~8,000 ft), which was the first we had seen on the trail. This one is a must see, even if only traveling part of the way.

Definitely a difficult hike. We didn't see anyone else on the trail. We started at the trail head in Mono Lake village (really just a campground). The beginning of the trail was very poorly marked, so I was glad we had downloaded the Alltrails map. We wouldn't have found the trail otherwise. Eventually the trail peters out and you just have to rely on your map from there. We did it all in one day, and it took us 12 hrs. I guess people also do it in two days, which would probably be easier. It nearly destroyed me to do it in one day, although my wife seemed fine. She's a super-hiker though, so that doesn't count. Even though it was August, there was still plenty of snow on the upper slopes. The trail only takes you half way, and then you have to scramble over rocks and snow patches the rest of the way. This is a little exhausting, and makes the climb more difficult. Definitely bring some sort of emergency beacon device because it is very rugged and isolated up there. Like I said, we didn't see anybody the whole time. Things to consider: - Bring a water filter. There is a stream almost the whole way up. - Be prepared to deal with snow. The snow was icing up on our way back in the late afternoon and made it a little treacherous coming back down. It was very steep. - Bring mosquito repellent. Haha. They are relentless . - Just be safe because it would be difficult for anybody to find you up there. All in all though, it was a gorgeous hike and definitely worth the effort. Lots of cool rocks on the way up and a great view at the top.

Wed Oct 12 2011

Hiking the Matterhorn is a great peak to climb! The hike starts out at the Twin Lakes area outside Bridgeport, CA and quickly ascends up along the Horse Creek. After 3 miles it is mostly rocky paths with some good campsites between the ridges at 10,000 feet. From there there is another two miles of hiking up rocks to the SW base of the mountain. The SW face is mostly scree up to the base of the peak where you must scramble up the last 300 feet. The peak is pretty small, and you get an absolutely amazing 360 degree view of the the surrounding mountains and valleys. The weather was great. The hike is definitely challenging due to route finding and rock, but not that dangerous as long as you know where you are going!

recorded Matterhorn Peak