Mastodon Peak Loop Trail

Mastodon Peak Loop Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mecca, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a relatively easy hike. Lots of desert plants and flowers to see along with beautiful views. On clear days you can see the Salton Sea. There is an old mine to explore (only from outside as entrance has been sealed). [Closures Due to Storm Damage Heavy rains caused flooding in the park on October 12th-13th. The south entrance (off I-10) is open but restricted to one lane of traffic. Use an alternate route, where possible. Some dirt roads are closed. The north and west entrances are open.]

So awful! Do NOT hike this trail when it’s hot out! There is no shade AT ALL and the views are non-existent! The trail is so poorly marked I got turned around several times and came out a mile away from my parking lot. Nursing my minor heat stroke and taking it upon myself to warn all other hikers to STAY AWAY.

Make sure you bring water with you. There is no where on the trail to cool down. We did this hike at 700hrs, when it was still pretty cool. The mine site was pretty cool. We did a scramble and climbed to the top of Mastadon Peak! Such beautiful views!!

The mastodon loop was more or less similar to the Lost Palms Oasis trail, but showcases the plant species less. However, Mastodon Peak was absolutely worth hitting on the way back from Lost Palms and climbing the rocks and basically following a very loose guideline of a trail up the small rock mound was a lot of fun

Nice hike

recorded Mastodon Peak Loop Trail

Trail was a perfect Mother’s Day hike! Did the loop and took the advice of others and went counter clockwise- start to the right at the trailhead. A mile in is where the mine is. It’s a pretty steady incline, to include rock stairs, in elevation from trailhead to the mine. I would say that was the most difficult part of the “easy” trail. I consider myself average and generally in good physical condition (but bad knees) and the elevation and upward elevation from the start got to me a bit, but I traveled from Virginia which is at 80ft above sea level. I wish I would have brought hiking poles. Trail was well maintained and I thought well marked. Saw lots of beautiful colors of flowering flora, lizards, a snake, hare, and birds. We encountered only a few people at the beginning but had trail to ourselves. You won’t see Joshua Trees at this part of the park! This trail is on the southern end. It’s another 27 miles north, or 45 minutes. I didn’t really know that (first time visitor), so that was a bit disappointing, but didn’t diminish the great day. One item to note - the black flies were particularly bad - I was getting dive bombed almost the whole hike and my fellow hiker did not. Difference was likely my use of tropical scented sunscreen. A perfect day in low 80’s and fluffy clouds, so in and out of shade. Nice short hike!! Very much Recommended!

For such a simple hike with a small amount of bouldering you get spectacular 360 views of the southern part of Joshua Tree all the way down to Salton Sea. This is a fairly easy hike until you get near to the peak where there is no official trail and you have to climb up several boulders. Take your time to find the right route as there are some natural steps and even the biggest boulders are manageable by older kids. The view at the top is out if this world, barren, rock covered desert which feels like another planet. The loop back goes past the gold mine and turns into more of a sand trail.

I enjoyed the views from Mastadon Peak! Fairly easy trail however I have short legs, so some of the steps were high probably due to erosion. Honestly I’d rather walk on a steep slope than do large stairs. I say a lady fall because she didn’t get her foot up high enough for the stair step. The mine was cool.

Really nice hike, my companion and I did Lost Palms in and Mastadon Mine on the way out. Not too hard on the elevation but still a great workout!

What a great hike right before entering Joshua Tree! Gorgeous flowers and scenery throughout!

closed

Easy, scenic little loop trail with lots to see and enough intricacy and elevation to be interesting for the experienced and downright wxciting for beginners. Great views on the portion that skirts the eponymous peak/rockpile, .looking down Cottonwood Canyon and across at the Orocopia Mountains; Toro Peak in the Santa Rosas is clearly visible, and even a piece of snow-covered San Jacinto. A perfect introduction to the Colorado Desert portion of JTNP, with abundant wildflowers in 3/19 after the late winter rains. Not much shade in any season, so prepare accordingly.

Fun, fun, fun! Terrain is on a sand wash, trails, and rock stairs and boulders. Easy to loose trail in rock areas. Loved having this app. Lots of wildflowers and ocotillo was in bloom.

great trail, very windy so bring layers with an outer shell. family friendly, too us about 4 hours with a 10yo boy stopping every few minutes to check out a rock :)

For the most part it was a well marked trail. I agree that taking the hike counter-clockwise is easier on the knees since the last portion is a sandy wash. Beautiful views and from the peak one can see the Salton Sea. Desert Hares and birds early in the morning.

Beautiful of course, but the trail markings are a little confusing if you leave from the parking lot. I did this hike in the spring and the flowers were beautiful.

Great little hike. I warmed-up on this trail after entering Joshua Tree on the south side. I scrambled to the actual top of the rock, which offered nice views but requires using all extremities!

nice views. not to much traffic. easy to moderate trail

Great hiking experience with a lot of amazing views of the southern part of Joshua Tree. We had a clear view of Salton Sea. And from the Mastodon peak itself that view is gorgeous. We did the hike with a 7 and 3 year old - no problem.

the trail itself was mostly a wash basin. There we're some well maintained stairs for most of the climbs. There were plenty of places to do some bouldering, and side excursions. we ended up making it a 3-mile loop. Moderate is a very good description, nice for adults and still kid friendly.

Did as beginning and end of Lost Oasis hike. It was lovely with the mine, many flowers and many hummingbirds near the yellow flowered bushes. End is a little confusing because it says trail is closed due to flood damage.

We did this hike leaving into the Lost Palm Oasis trail because the road to lost palm trail head is washed out. I'm glad we did this anyway, the trail is great. However, it does add about 2 miles to the Lost Palm Oasis out and back hike for a total of 10 miles.

I give this a 5 even though it was rather difficult to navigate this past weekend. We ended up getting a bit lost because the areas that were flooded ended up looking like they could be part of the trail. However, such is nature and we still got to experience the beautiful landscape. We started from the Cottonwood Springs campground so we used that as our landmark as we navigated back.

The view from Mastedon Peak is terrific, although you have to be comfortable with a little boulder scrambling to achieve the absolute top. As of October 2018 the portion of Mastedon Loop which coincides with the Lost Palms Oasis Trail is closed due to minor flood damage. There is no signage to indicate this if you start the Loop at the campground and go clockwise. Don’t know why, with all those rangers hanging out at the visitor center none thought to inform the hikers.

Unbelievably beautiful!! Worth the trek to the top

rock climbing
Saturday, April 21, 2018

This was one fun trail with family. Multiple peaks overlooking Salton sea and 360 degrees breath taking views. Passing the mine and walking counterclockwise in the loop through the wash back to the parking lot. I would say an hour and a half hike (walking time).

Sunday, April 01, 2018

we only had one afternoon to check out this park as we were staying with family while on vacation in palms springs. Great views and some interesting old mining memorabilia and debris. Very cool hike. wish we had the time to hike to the oasis. Not shaded so wear sun screen, and bring covering: hat, lightweight long sleeve, etc.

Sunday, March 18, 2018

I did this as part of the Lost Palms Oasis hike and would definitely recommend doing the two of these together, as they offer some great views of the southern side of the park and the environment beyond. The path up to the very top of the peak is just a bunch of boulders that need to be scrambled over, but it isn’t very challenging and is very much worth it. The view from the top is absolutely amazing.