Mastodon Peak Loop Trail

Mastodon Peak Loop Trail is a 2.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mecca, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October.

Distance: 2.4 miles Elevation Gain: 367 feet Route Type: Loop

This is a relatively easy hike. Lots of desert plants and flowers to see along with beautiful views. On clear days you can see the Salton Sea. There is an old mine to explore (only from outside as entrance has been sealed).

We did the loop through Mastodon mine. Fun trail with a nice view of the Sultan Sea from Mastodon mine.

we went in the opposite loop direction as the map indicates and glad for it. This is an easy hike, but in sandy DG. From the trail the bouldering to Mastedon Peak is about .1 mile and well worth it. Nice view of Salton Sea & Pinto Mountains. Definately front country but not as crowded as sites around Park Blvd. No joshua trees in the part of the park. Notes above about washouts outdated, all open and clear as of Veterans Day weekend.

Nice morning hike - temperatures varied a lot. Wear layers. Very windy in parts of the hike.

Beautiful scenery! This is our first time to Joshua tree. We will definitely be coming back. Loved using this app, it helped us along the way. The previous reviews were very helpful.

Great trail! nice loop through an oasis, abandoned mine, and rocky peak! the peak is “not maintained” by the NPS but we found it easily climbable

. We did this last weekend in sept. Awesome. Lower part of park is not as crowded. We mostly had place to ourselves. Bring water and salty snacks and heat gear. Time it right to for temp. Will be hot at base but windy and nice climbing to peak. Peak is some boulder scrambling which is fun. This app was crucial for navigation. The “loop” was a bit confusing. Basically like the head to the peak, come back from the peak to where you went off trail and head toward the signs for camp sites. Lotta micro terrains. Old mine shaft. Oasis Super fun.

fee

beautiful

So awful! Do NOT hike this trail when it’s hot out! There is no shade AT ALL and the views are non-existent! The trail is so poorly marked I got turned around several times and came out a mile away from my parking lot. Nursing my minor heat stroke and taking it upon myself to warn all other hikers to STAY AWAY.

Make sure you bring water with you. There is no where on the trail to cool down. We did this hike at 700hrs, when it was still pretty cool. The mine site was pretty cool. We did a scramble and climbed to the top of Mastadon Peak! Such beautiful views!!

The mastodon loop was more or less similar to the Lost Palms Oasis trail, but showcases the plant species less. However, Mastodon Peak was absolutely worth hitting on the way back from Lost Palms and climbing the rocks and basically following a very loose guideline of a trail up the small rock mound was a lot of fun

Nice hike

recorded Mastodon Peak Loop Trail

Trail was a perfect Mother’s Day hike! Did the loop and took the advice of others and went counter clockwise- start to the right at the trailhead. A mile in is where the mine is. It’s a pretty steady incline, to include rock stairs, in elevation from trailhead to the mine. I would say that was the most difficult part of the “easy” trail. I consider myself average and generally in good physical condition (but bad knees) and the elevation and upward elevation from the start got to me a bit, but I traveled from Virginia which is at 80ft above sea level. I wish I would have brought hiking poles. Trail was well maintained and I thought well marked. Saw lots of beautiful colors of flowering flora, lizards, a snake, hare, and birds. We encountered only a few people at the beginning but had trail to ourselves. You won’t see Joshua Trees at this part of the park! This trail is on the southern end. It’s another 27 miles north, or 45 minutes. I didn’t really know that (first time visitor), so that was a bit disappointing, but didn’t diminish the great day. One item to note - the black flies were particularly bad - I was getting dive bombed almost the whole hike and my fellow hiker did not. Difference was likely my use of tropical scented sunscreen. A perfect day in low 80’s and fluffy clouds, so in and out of shade. Nice short hike!! Very much Recommended!

All the prior reviews were spot on. What a great hike. Saw lizards, hares and amazing scenery. Weather was perfect and very few people on the trail.

For such a simple hike with a small amount of bouldering you get spectacular 360 views of the southern part of Joshua Tree all the way down to Salton Sea. This is a fairly easy hike until you get near to the peak where there is no official trail and you have to climb up several boulders. Take your time to find the right route as there are some natural steps and even the biggest boulders are manageable by older kids. The view at the top is out if this world, barren, rock covered desert which feels like another planet. The loop back goes past the gold mine and turns into more of a sand trail.

I enjoyed the views from Mastadon Peak! Fairly easy trail however I have short legs, so some of the steps were high probably due to erosion. Honestly I’d rather walk on a steep slope than do large stairs. I say a lady fall because she didn’t get her foot up high enough for the stair step. The mine was cool.

Really nice hike, my companion and I did Lost Palms in and Mastadon Mine on the way out. Not too hard on the elevation but still a great workout!

What a great hike right before entering Joshua Tree! Gorgeous flowers and scenery throughout!

closed

Easy, scenic little loop trail with lots to see and enough intricacy and elevation to be interesting for the experienced and downright wxciting for beginners. Great views on the portion that skirts the eponymous peak/rockpile, .looking down Cottonwood Canyon and across at the Orocopia Mountains; Toro Peak in the Santa Rosas is clearly visible, and even a piece of snow-covered San Jacinto. A perfect introduction to the Colorado Desert portion of JTNP, with abundant wildflowers in 3/19 after the late winter rains. Not much shade in any season, so prepare accordingly.

Fun, fun, fun! Terrain is on a sand wash, trails, and rock stairs and boulders. Easy to loose trail in rock areas. Loved having this app. Lots of wildflowers and ocotillo was in bloom.

great trail, very windy so bring layers with an outer shell. family friendly, too us about 4 hours with a 10yo boy stopping every few minutes to check out a rock :)

For the most part it was a well marked trail. I agree that taking the hike counter-clockwise is easier on the knees since the last portion is a sandy wash. Beautiful views and from the peak one can see the Salton Sea. Desert Hares and birds early in the morning.