Mastodon Peak Loop Trail

Mastodon Peak Loop Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Desert Center, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until October.

This is a relatively easy hike. Lots of desert plants and flowers to see along with beautiful views. On clear days you can see the Salton Sea. There is an old mine to explore (only from outside as entrance has been sealed).

worthwhile scenic walk/hike, easy to moderate. large rock formations and gratifying views. Salton Sea view at peak. Southern entrance to Joshua Tree not as infamous, visitor center friendly.
Be prepared for some soft sand in washes. Agree good introductory to this park.

I did this trail in September. It was my first short day hike of my 12 day road trip as I just arrived in San Diego the day before to start the journey. The part from the trailhead to the peak is relatively easy as the trail is super clear. It's a beaten path with stairs. The trail past the peak (where you can find a mine ruin) is pretty tricky. As I climbed over the peak on the west side, I wandered off more towards the west on the trail and followed a dried up riverbed, or wash instead and got myself lost. I only found out about it when the rocks were getting steeper and steeper. I couldn't image this being a part of an 'easy' rate hike. It definitely scared me for a moment. Luckily the gps on my phone worked so I could find the right direction to the trailhead. I ended up right behind the palm tree oase and had to bush wack for a bit. So, even though it's rated as an easy hike please be careful with the washes past the mine ruins / Mastodon peak. Get an offline or paper map.

I did this trail on a relatively cool day (lower '70s with a breeze). The conditions couldn't have been much better. I ended up extending the hike by walking on the Lost Palms Oasis Trail for about a mile and then coming back to finish the loop. The loop itself is fairly easy, but make sure to bring a hat and plenty of water.

Hiked this trail from Cottonwood Campground last week. Its an amazing hike, took about 2 hours all in all, and there are a few areas where you have to climb/navigate rocks. There a few posted signs with directions but definitely download an offline digital/paper map as well. Beware though that on the loop back to the campground after scaling the peak, one can easily walk off the trail if they're not paying attention. And in the summer temperatures that is really dangerous.

Nice place to go without the crowds.

I did this loop on the way back from the Lost Palms Oasis trail, which shares the path for about 0.6 of a mile from the parking lot. The Mastadon Peak trail T's off to the east. It's clearly marked.

The way up the trail has some steep parts, but it's well-maintained. There are stairs cut in the rock at a few points.

If you're going to go to the top of the rock formation, you'll need to go the back side (east). The way up is not immediately obvious and is not maintained. You'll need to do some scrambling to get up there, some of which is a little close to a nice drop off the east side. I wouldn't recommend this for kids, or anyone that's too limited in their physical ability.

Just to the west of the rock formation is an old mine. It's worth a look.

Much of the rest of the loop north from the mine was through washes, with nothing much new to see. Towards the end, there is another mine area, but not much to see there. I don't care much for walking through washes as I get weary of rocks in my boots. If I do this trail again, I will probably do an out-and-back between the parking lot and the rock formation, and avoid the wash portion of the loop altogether.

Pretty neat trail, loved the old mine too. Several sightings of desert wildlife.

Great hike to couple with the lost palms oasis trail.