Martis Peak Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kings Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A beautiful system of trails sitting below Matis Peak overlooking the North Shore of Lake Tahoe. Open year round.

*pretty unpopulated trail in october- YEY!
*last bit of trail is a road that takes you up to the fire lookout station at the top. Views up there are wonderful!
*bring all the water you'll need- there isnt any on the trail.
*gorgeous views in the last mile and a half!

Beautiful

Our rating is based on our shortened hike. We only hiked to about the halfway point of the full trail, then turned back toward the Lake Tahoe view spur trail on our return. The forest trails were pretty and easy to hike. The views from the spur trail were really nice. The rock formations at this lookout point were beautiful.

Beautiful day! Great hike, but you do end up on a road for the last 1/4 mile. Thanks to the folks that found my phone! You guys rock!

Great hike this morning to top of Martis Peak from Brockway Summit trailhead (just below heading towards KB). Gorgeous views on a gorgeous day.

Really peaceful trail for the most part! Snowshoes aren't necessary but I'd recommend them for some parts of the trek. I was not fully prepared so I got stuck in snow in some parts.
If you look at the trail where it splits near the beginning, going left will take you on a road, while going right is more trail. I did this hike in early May so there still was some snow on the ground! It made it pretty difficult to see exactly where you need to go. At this time of the year I recommend going left and staying close to the road.

Very nice trail. I hiked it in April 2018 and most of the trail was snow covered, but it was frozen enough that I did not need my snowshoes. There’s a great viewpoint of Lake Tahoe just off a little trail about 1 mile down the TRT. I hiked to the Fire Lookout and up the last few meters to the summit of Martis Peak. About 10 miles and 2,000 feet of elevation gain, round trip. Make sure you know where you are going when there is snow on the ground.

Great spot. Beautiful vistas. Trail that continues towards Nevada is a bit icy, glad I had poles.

Thursday, October 19, 2017

Take trail up to picnic spot. Sit on Rick formation and enjoy the views!

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Beautiful, I thought there would be more shade with all the trees. I also would consider this a moderate hike.

Sunday, September 10, 2017

Hike to the fire watch station amazing views

Monday, July 03, 2017

Went with wife and three kids. Trailhead is off highway 267. You'll have to park on the opposite side of the tralihead and run across the highway. My 8 and 6 year old boys managed to do the entire hike. Went to check out the small vista about 1.2 miles in, nice views, then back to TRT to get to Martis Peak.

I agree with another poster, I would not say this hike is easy. Roughly 2k elevation gain over about 4.5 miles up, with a few ups and then back downs on the way, then another 4.5 back to the highway. I enjoyed the hike. Martis Peak has an awesome view of Lake Tahoe. I'd do it again.

Sunday, June 25, 2017

First time poster, long time user. I had to write a review to tell you...This hike is a lie, it's not easy. Moderate for sure but not easy. Beautiful view when you reach the top. The elevation gain alone should make this hike moderate. There was snow but didn't interfere with the trail. It's only small patches of snow. Have fun!

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Nice trail in the woods, the 360 view is gorgeous at the top and the lookout is awesome. I liked the view but the hike to the top was not unlocking the best scenery also the start of the hike is noisy with the road below (hence the 3 stars). Easy hike for a worthy reward

Friday, June 09, 2017

Did that trail June 7. With so much snow we found the hike to be strenuous. snowshoes would have help. We stopped .6 miles under the peak. No regrets we had a great view from there.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Tons of snow still, with most of the trail covered, would use gps so you don't get lost. Becomes slushy in the afternoon, doable without snowshoes but pretty strenuous at the moment.

Saturday, April 15, 2017

This prominence to which this trail takes you is NOT Martis Peak!!

Monday, February 13, 2017

Wonderful hike. Steep start through the forest. Altitude gain is all front loaded and fast. Which was really nice because once at the top you are rewarded with breathtaking views of Lake Tahoe and a nice 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside. Hike mellowed out quite a bit as we hiked along the crest and then into the forest. The forested part was also really pretty and secluded. Not much more we could have asked for. All downhill on the way back. Would recommend to anyone in decent shape and eager for an aggressive climb to an incredible vista with a mellow rest of the day.

Friday, November 11, 2016

My girlfriend and I did this in November with bright blue skies (mid 50*s) and no snow on the ground except for a few sparse areas. The trailhead was easy to find right off highway 267. The beginning of the hike was nothing special, but after the first mile it really is a nice trail. Moderate climb with easy to follow and well marked trail. This hike is part of the Tahoe Rim Trail and follows it for quite a few miles. When you get to the top, don't forget to walk up the paved road to the CDF fire lookout tower for a great 360* view. You have views of the lake, Northstar Ski Resort, and the Airport all from the lookout. I give this 5 stars due to the perfect weather and un popular time of the year. I could imagine when its busy and mountain bikers are flying by it could be an issue, but we saw about 4 people all day and two cyclists at the top who drove up.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Awesome 40 minute hike. Great views

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Beautiful trail- is a new top favorite for the family scenery wise. I carried my 2 1/2 year old in a pack for this hike. The last 1- 0.5 or so is on a steep paved access road. We came across a lot of bikers going way too fast- coming down as we were hiking up. Most didn't bother slow down, requiring us to quickly jump out of the way.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Beautiful views nice moderate climb. We hiked during the week as suggested.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

There was a lot of downed timber the first 1/4 mile or so but after that it turns into a great little hike. Pretty rock formations and lake views at the top. Great hike if you're short on time.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Great hike! Some climbing but nothing too intense. Views at the top were great. Time of year was perfect. We saw less than 5 people on the trail and got both sunshine and snow flurries.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Nice little hike, although I wish I didn't hike it on the holiday weekend. Everybody and their mother were out on the trail. I'm sure during a weekday is much better.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Very quick hike and friendly people. Parking can get busy on the weekends. Overall great views and worth the trip.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Good quick hike with great views at the top.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Unbelievable views. Moderate intensity.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Definitely worth a hike up to picnic rock - incredible views!