Martis Peak Trail

Martis Peak Trail is a 9.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kings Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A beautiful system of trails sitting below Matis Peak overlooking the North Shore ofLake Tahoe. Open year round.

Take trail up to picnic spot. Sit on Rick formation and enjoy the views!

Beautiful, I thought there would be more shade with all the trees. I also would consider this a moderate hike.

Hike to the fire watch station amazing views

Went with wife and three kids. Trailhead is off highway 267. You'll have to park on the opposite side of the tralihead and run across the highway. My 8 and 6 year old boys managed to do the entire hike. Went to check out the small vista about 1.2 miles in, nice views, then back to TRT to get to Martis Peak.

I agree with another poster, I would not say this hike is easy. Roughly 2k elevation gain over about 4.5 miles up, with a few ups and then back downs on the way, then another 4.5 back to the highway. I enjoyed the hike. Martis Peak has an awesome view of Lake Tahoe. I'd do it again.

First time poster, long time user. I had to write a review to tell you...This hike is a lie, it's not easy. Moderate for sure but not easy. Beautiful view when you reach the top. The elevation gain alone should make this hike moderate. There was snow but didn't interfere with the trail. It's only small patches of snow. Have fun!

Nice trail in the woods, the 360 view is gorgeous at the top and the lookout is awesome. I liked the view but the hike to the top was not unlocking the best scenery also the start of the hike is noisy with the road below (hence the 3 stars). Easy hike for a worthy reward

Did that trail June 7. With so much snow we found the hike to be strenuous. snowshoes would have help. We stopped .6 miles under the peak. No regrets we had a great view from there.

Tons of snow still, with most of the trail covered, would use gps so you don't get lost. Becomes slushy in the afternoon, doable without snowshoes but pretty strenuous at the moment.

This prominence to which this trail takes you is NOT Martis Peak!!

Wonderful hike. Steep start through the forest. Altitude gain is all front loaded and fast. Which was really nice because once at the top you are rewarded with breathtaking views of Lake Tahoe and a nice 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside. Hike mellowed out quite a bit as we hiked along the crest and then into the forest. The forested part was also really pretty and secluded. Not much more we could have asked for. All downhill on the way back. Would recommend to anyone in decent shape and eager for an aggressive climb to an incredible vista with a mellow rest of the day.

Friday, November 11, 2016

My girlfriend and I did this in November with bright blue skies (mid 50*s) and no snow on the ground except for a few sparse areas. The trailhead was easy to find right off highway 267. The beginning of the hike was nothing special, but after the first mile it really is a nice trail. Moderate climb with easy to follow and well marked trail. This hike is part of the Tahoe Rim Trail and follows it for quite a few miles. When you get to the top, don't forget to walk up the paved road to the CDF fire lookout tower for a great 360* view. You have views of the lake, Northstar Ski Resort, and the Airport all from the lookout. I give this 5 stars due to the perfect weather and un popular time of the year. I could imagine when its busy and mountain bikers are flying by it could be an issue, but we saw about 4 people all day and two cyclists at the top who drove up.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Awesome 40 minute hike. Great views

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Beautiful trail- is a new top favorite for the family scenery wise. I carried my 2 1/2 year old in a pack for this hike. The last 1- 0.5 or so is on a steep paved access road. We came across a lot of bikers going way too fast- coming down as we were hiking up. Most didn't bother slow down, requiring us to quickly jump out of the way.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Beautiful views nice moderate climb. We hiked during the week as suggested.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

There was a lot of downed timber the first 1/4 mile or so but after that it turns into a great little hike. Pretty rock formations and lake views at the top. Great hike if you're short on time.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Great hike! Some climbing but nothing too intense. Views at the top were great. Time of year was perfect. We saw less than 5 people on the trail and got both sunshine and snow flurries.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Nice little hike, although I wish I didn't hike it on the holiday weekend. Everybody and their mother were out on the trail. I'm sure during a weekday is much better.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Very quick hike and friendly people. Parking can get busy on the weekends. Overall great views and worth the trip.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Good quick hike with great views at the top.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Unbelievable views. Moderate intensity.