Martis Peak Trail

Martis Peak Trail is a 9.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kings Beach, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1912 feet

A beautiful system of trails sitting below Matis Peak overlooking the North Shore ofLake Tahoe. Open year round.

Great spot. Beautiful vistas. Trail that continues towards Nevada is a bit icy, glad I had poles.

Take trail up to picnic spot. Sit on Rick formation and enjoy the views!

Beautiful, I thought there would be more shade with all the trees. I also would consider this a moderate hike.

Hike to the fire watch station amazing views

Went with wife and three kids. Trailhead is off highway 267. You'll have to park on the opposite side of the tralihead and run across the highway. My 8 and 6 year old boys managed to do the entire hike. Went to check out the small vista about 1.2 miles in, nice views, then back to TRT to get to Martis Peak.

I agree with another poster, I would not say this hike is easy. Roughly 2k elevation gain over about 4.5 miles up, with a few ups and then back downs on the way, then another 4.5 back to the highway. I enjoyed the hike. Martis Peak has an awesome view of Lake Tahoe. I'd do it again.

First time poster, long time user. I had to write a review to tell you...This hike is a lie, it's not easy. Moderate for sure but not easy. Beautiful view when you reach the top. The elevation gain alone should make this hike moderate. There was snow but didn't interfere with the trail. It's only small patches of snow. Have fun!

Nice trail in the woods, the 360 view is gorgeous at the top and the lookout is awesome. I liked the view but the hike to the top was not unlocking the best scenery also the start of the hike is noisy with the road below (hence the 3 stars). Easy hike for a worthy reward

Did that trail June 7. With so much snow we found the hike to be strenuous. snowshoes would have help. We stopped .6 miles under the peak. No regrets we had a great view from there.

Tons of snow still, with most of the trail covered, would use gps so you don't get lost. Becomes slushy in the afternoon, doable without snowshoes but pretty strenuous at the moment.

This prominence to which this trail takes you is NOT Martis Peak!!

Monday, February 13, 2017

Wonderful hike. Steep start through the forest. Altitude gain is all front loaded and fast. Which was really nice because once at the top you are rewarded with breathtaking views of Lake Tahoe and a nice 360 degree view of the surrounding countryside. Hike mellowed out quite a bit as we hiked along the crest and then into the forest. The forested part was also really pretty and secluded. Not much more we could have asked for. All downhill on the way back. Would recommend to anyone in decent shape and eager for an aggressive climb to an incredible vista with a mellow rest of the day.

Friday, November 11, 2016

My girlfriend and I did this in November with bright blue skies (mid 50*s) and no snow on the ground except for a few sparse areas. The trailhead was easy to find right off highway 267. The beginning of the hike was nothing special, but after the first mile it really is a nice trail. Moderate climb with easy to follow and well marked trail. This hike is part of the Tahoe Rim Trail and follows it for quite a few miles. When you get to the top, don't forget to walk up the paved road to the CDF fire lookout tower for a great 360* view. You have views of the lake, Northstar Ski Resort, and the Airport all from the lookout. I give this 5 stars due to the perfect weather and un popular time of the year. I could imagine when its busy and mountain bikers are flying by it could be an issue, but we saw about 4 people all day and two cyclists at the top who drove up.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Awesome 40 minute hike. Great views

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Beautiful trail- is a new top favorite for the family scenery wise. I carried my 2 1/2 year old in a pack for this hike. The last 1- 0.5 or so is on a steep paved access road. We came across a lot of bikers going way too fast- coming down as we were hiking up. Most didn't bother slow down, requiring us to quickly jump out of the way.

Saturday, October 22, 2016

Beautiful views nice moderate climb. We hiked during the week as suggested.

Sunday, September 25, 2016

There was a lot of downed timber the first 1/4 mile or so but after that it turns into a great little hike. Pretty rock formations and lake views at the top. Great hike if you're short on time.

Friday, September 23, 2016

Great hike! Some climbing but nothing too intense. Views at the top were great. Time of year was perfect. We saw less than 5 people on the trail and got both sunshine and snow flurries.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Nice little hike, although I wish I didn't hike it on the holiday weekend. Everybody and their mother were out on the trail. I'm sure during a weekday is much better.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Very quick hike and friendly people. Parking can get busy on the weekends. Overall great views and worth the trip.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Good quick hike with great views at the top.

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Unbelievable views. Moderate intensity.

Monday, July 04, 2016

Definitely worth a hike up to picnic rock - incredible views!

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Great views

Monday, May 30, 2016

Very nice moderate,nice view.

Saturday, April 09, 2016

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Absolutely amazing views from the Martis Peak fire lookout. The trail was in good shape all the way up. This I would consider a moderate level hike. Started at the Brockway Summit (Highway 267). When you reach the paved road up to the fire lookout, the climb gets steep. Be careful along the trail for mountain bikes coming down. Bikers get dropped off at the lookout and travel down to Brockway Summit. Along the trail you come across some nice views of Lake Tahoe. But the real views are from the fire lookout. From there, you can see Lake Tahoe, Donner, Prosser, Boca and Stampede Lakes. My son and I had a picnic at the picnic table below the fire lookout before heading back down the mountain. There is also a public bathroom at the lookout. A great hike with amazing views.

Monday, August 17, 2015

The first lookout loop "Spur Trail" is only about 5-10 minutes off the trail and gives great 360 views of Lake Tahoe and the surrounding areas.

Trail continuing on is easy-moderate and has a good amount of shade from the trees. Peaceful trail and we didn't see many other people when we hiked past the lookout point, except for a few mountain bikers.

Wednesday, May 06, 2015

Started at the trailhead 2.75 mi up from the traffic light at the intersection of highway 89 and 267 in Kings Beach. We did the 3.6 mi round trip and it was amazing. You can keep going to Martis if you want but that was too far for us that day . At the top there are huge piles of boulders where we sat and enjoyed a cold beverage. People were picnicking with their dogs and kids. There is an almost 360 degree view looking down on Lake Tahoe and on the other side you can see the Truckee River. We went in early March so there were a few patches of snow, not much due to the sad lack of snowfall this year. I did get a bit winded being from San Diego and acclimating to the elevation but the top of this mountain made it all worth it. We encountered a few people and even a dude riding his bike UP the trail. You go buddy!

Thursday, February 19, 2015

Completed this hike today and 99% of it was in the snow. Started from the 267. Enough snowmobilers and snowshoers have gone up this road to where there was a path all the way up. Plus, the snow made a novice hike somewhat of a work out. Even with the snow my moving time round-trip was 2 hrs 45 min. The views at the look out next to the summit are unreal. Almost a 360 degree view of the north Tahoe area. I definitely recommend this hike as a warm up for another adventure. Don't drive up! Get out there and enjoy the outdoors.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Rode Monday the 4th in the rain at 40 degrees with no body else on the entire mountain! Survived a really cold decent from Martis but returned on Friday the 8th for sun and 80 degree plus temps. A bit more crowded on Fri but not a problem except at the decent on the steep trail down to the pipeline road trailhead. East end of the trail system was deserted and spectacular!