Marshall Canyon Trail

Marshall Canyon Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Claremont, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,407 feet Route Type: Loop

Mix of Single Track and fire road.

Very fun ride lots of shade and some small water crossings

fun trail. fair amount of up-hill climbs on the bike. nice to have a lot of shade. some of the switch backs on the single track stuff come up quick so be careful on your descent.

Great trail. We wanted a trail that was close to where we live, that we could complete in the morning of July 4, that had shade because we knew it was going to be hot. This did it. LOADS of shade. Beautiful trail runs right by a creek (which does have flowing water). There are a couple places you can park. We parked in the Oak Mesa Park parking lot on Wheeler.. you cross the big park field and go through the gate at the far right corner of the field. Follow the streets. Los Robles.. right on Via De Mansion, left on Orangewood and you will come to a wash with a gate.. Go through the gate, and walk to the trail head. (I suspect you can park on one of those streets too, but I think most park in the Park. Its an easy hike. Very little elevation gain. Beautiful trees, and creek. You pass through a tunnel under a road at one point. Heads up.. it is popular with trail bike riders.. but everyone in our experience was super cautious,friendly, and courteous, so it was not a problem at all. Highly recommend for a nice day hike.

This has to be one of the most beautiful hiking trails in Southern California...... if not the most outstanding one. The vegetation alone is simply breathtaking with quite a few wild flowers! It even had a Mulberry Tree that was fruiting as we stood there and ate the ripe berries. It’s a good 10.4 miles from the Oak Mesa School parking lot to the infamous Claremont loop and back. The lovely sounds of streams a flowing with their gurgling sounds all around you gives way to the abundance of songbirds. I passed many friendly hikers, bikers, and horseback riders, which gave way to the feeling of a large family adventure. This trail way is addicting and I’ll be back for sure!

I did the 10.4 mile hike, not quite sure if i went a longer way but my phone show it was a 12.55 mile hike instead.. The hike was very pleasurable some parts had hard elevation areas. Lots of bikers please be careful specially when you get to the top area path become very small and bikers come at a very fast speed.. Take lots of water and a few snacks. Make sure you follow the map on the (Alltrail app)you can easily get lost if is your first time. We park at the Oak Mesa Elementary School parking lot which is free.

This is a long but exhilarating hike! There is parking at the Oak Mesa Park nearby or if you avoid the permit parking areas around the trailhead on Orangewood, you might find a spot. (I used Oak Mesa Park and exited the park on the SE corner, crossed the foot bridge, followed Los Robles east, a short right on Via de Mansion, then left to the trailhead on Orangewood). The vast majority of the hike is shaded by beautiful oak trees as you are serenaded by quiet streams. The upper Cobalt Canyon Motorway reveals steeper inclines with not much shade, so bring plenty of water. Also, you will be sharing the trail with quite a few mountain bikers and trail runners. All in all, very invigorating!

I started this hike at the equestrian staging area, past the golf course. Making a nice loop of about 5 miles. Suggest you go clockwise as the grade is more gradual. To the left of the picnic table, continue up the hill into the claremont wilderness loop and quietly smile at the people who paid five bucks to park! Continue clockwise, past the lookout till you see a path to the right head down that till you see a good size trail on the right, head down and you'll be on a real trail,and before long you'll be in the trees and there's so many birds I felt like I was in an avary, this will lead you to the aforementioned picnic table then back

Very beautiful hike. I do think the All Trails App is different than the actual trail. I followed the app version. I definitely needed to look often at the app to make sure I stayed on the right trail. There are a lot of little trails connected. Had to backtrack a couple times. Plenty of shade before the loop. Not too many people on a Monday which was nice! #socaldirtpathchallenge

It’s an okay hike, just too much poop from horses and dogs. Bring plenty of water especially if it hot

Nice trail, didn't really struggle with the stroller until the last mile of the loop (went clockwise) when we started hitting the washed out switchbacks on the descent. There were some signs of recent mud and rockslides throughout, but they didn't severely affect the fire road or foot trails. Good spot for wildlife, tons of birds and we were dodging lizards the whole time. Don't go off trail, though, there is poison oak absolutely everywhere and a man on horseback warned us about a rattlesnake he saw on the shoulder. Sand flies were a minor issue, especially at rest areas and in the turn outs on the fire road.

This trail is awesome for biking. I have never hiked it, but if I can bike, you can hike. There is plenty of shade when you hit the canopies and its very green. It is usually moderately packed. Compared to other hikes it is safer - not out in back country somewhere.

Very nice trail. Lots of shade. It gets a little confusing with all the other trails meeting up as you get up by the Claremont loop. May want to have the trail map handy.

I was skeptical about the trail due to the fact that it starts in a residential neighborhood but it’s a fantastic hike. Nice scenery, some really nice views. Last, not sure how a 11-12 mile hike qualifies as “easy”. This should be listed as moderate.

Don't really care for the lower part near Oak Mesa, but I don't mountain bike either. Upper portion near Marshall Canyon parking area is a big spider we of trails, but after enough visits, it's easy enough to figure out how to get back to where you parked. Definitely more crowded once you cross over to the Claremont side and into the Claremont Wilderness park. Most of the bikers here seem to be real good with their trail courtesy.

I thought this was a beautiful hike lots of photo ops and beautiful spots. It was easy for the most part with a couple inclines for good measure.

Easy. Nice. But easy to get lost too. We somehow turned it into a 15 miler....in the dark.

Love this trail! It’s so beautiful, lots of scenery. My 5 year old son hiked it and he loved every second!

Really peaceful hike

Excellent steady climb with several stream crossings.

love this trail

A great and beautiful hike with tons of wilderness and plant life! A must do hike!

Amazing, one of my favorite hikes, except the portion where you’re walking on the side of a golf course for a short bit. Plenty of wild life, deer everywhere several crossing the trail in front of me. Most of the time you’re walking along a creek bed, very serene and peaceful the half way point is in direct sun so bring plenty of water and sun screen. Definitely an easy hike, just long, didn’t feel like it though. Good, even, well maintained trail great for running but you’ll want to walk through this one its beautiful. FYI this trail is shared by hikers, bikes and horses so be mindful and courteous to all.

To get to actual trailhead google MARSHALL CANYON STAGING AREA * 9/6/18 my car was broken into and my wallet and personal items stolen!!! Put everything in your trunk when you leave to hike or bike. Shattered glass all over my car :/ Hike was great until that point but there’s very little shade so it’s not ideal for dogs unless you have cooling vests and water for them but incline is great :)

best trail around really. little bit of everything. couple small rock gardens, easy gradient at first and steepens up further on. creak runs through the trail a couple times and there's some decent berms further up. park at the elementary school lot. mind the horse poop and some sketchy drops. could definitely use a community day of trail maintenance, but still great.

I did a little backpack weight training on the trail starting at the biker entrance. It was around a total of 10 miles out and back. There are a lot of different mostly shaded trails/dirt roads you can take depending on what you want to do for the first 5 miles or so. Once the elevation gain starts, make sure you have water and sun protection because there is no shade like mentioned in previous reviews. However, there is a nice, shaded rest area towards the end of the gain with benches and outhouses. The bathrooms were locked when I was there during the week. If you hike the part where the elevation gain starts, I would rate this hike more as moderate just because of how exposed to the sun you are.

For Hikers, google "Marshall Canyon Staging Area" and start from there. Alltrails' map starts off at an elementary school that's so far from the actual trail for hikers. Looking back at the map now, it would be best to go east on Stephens Ranch Road from the staging area. We ended up going south and then hiked north. It's all down hill and little shade. Once we arrived at the 3.5 marker (according to Alltrails' map), we went the in a counter clock wise route. This is more difficult than going in a clock wise fashion as the east side of the trail is much steeper than the west/north side. I'll know now to check out the elevation map for better planning in the future. The east side has little to no shade. The west/north has plenty of shade. All the creeks were on vacation, we saw zero bodies of water on this hike during this time of the year, July 29. Was hoping to find a nice shaded hike with streams of water during the heat. Saw a few bunnies, lizards, ants and snake skins on the trail. Started at 3pm and got back at 7pm. Got real dark at 8-820pm in the area. Gates close at sunset or 8pm. Looking forward to coming back here in Spring time.

I have entered the trail in La Verne, near Live Oaks—around the trail’s 3.5 mile market—and have gone both directions—towards the trailhead in La Verne and the other way up the mountain towards Claremont Wilderness. It is easy in the La Verne side, but gets progressively more challenging the other way. Around mile marker 5, the trail starts getting steep and progressively steeper. Not easy for sure. I’d say intermediate is more accurate. Also around there is shade no more! Good workout, but be prepared and know what you are getting into!!