Marshall Canyon Trail

Marshall Canyon Trail is a 10.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Claremont, California that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Mix of Single Track and fire road.

A great and beautiful hike with tons of wilderness and plant life! A must do hike!

Amazing, one of my favorite hikes, except the portion where you’re walking on the side of a golf course for a short bit. Plenty of wild life, deer everywhere several crossing the trail in front of me. Most of the time you’re walking along a creek bed, very serene and peaceful the half way point is in direct sun so bring plenty of water and sun screen. Definitely an easy hike, just long, didn’t feel like it though. Good, even, well maintained trail great for running but you’ll want to walk through this one its beautiful. FYI this trail is shared by hikers, bikes and horses so be mindful and courteous to all.

To get to actual trailhead google MARSHALL CANYON STAGING AREA

* 9/6/18 my car was broken into and my wallet and personal items stolen!!! Put everything in your trunk when you leave to hike or bike. Shattered glass all over my car :/

Hike was great until that point but there’s very little shade so it’s not ideal for dogs unless you have cooling vests and water for them but incline is great :)

best trail around really. little bit of everything. couple small rock gardens, easy gradient at first and steepens up further on. creak runs through the trail a couple times and there's some decent berms further up. park at the elementary school lot. mind the horse poop and some sketchy drops. could definitely use a community day of trail maintenance, but still great.

I did a little backpack weight training on the trail starting at the biker entrance. It was around a total of 10 miles out and back. There are a lot of different mostly shaded trails/dirt roads you can take depending on what you want to do for the first 5 miles or so.

Once the elevation gain starts, make sure you have water and sun protection because there is no shade like mentioned in previous reviews. However, there is a nice, shaded rest area towards the end of the gain with benches and outhouses. The bathrooms were locked when I was there during the week.

If you hike the part where the elevation gain starts, I would rate this hike more as moderate just because of how exposed to the sun you are.

For Hikers, google "Marshall Canyon Staging Area" and start from there. Alltrails' map starts off at an elementary school that's so far from the actual trail for hikers.

Looking back at the map now, it would be best to go east on Stephens Ranch Road from the staging area. We ended up going south and then hiked north. It's all down hill and little shade.

Once we arrived at the 3.5 marker (according to Alltrails' map), we went the in a counter clock wise route. This is more difficult than going in a clock wise fashion as the east side of the trail is much steeper than the west/north side. I'll know now to check out the elevation map for better planning in the future.

The east side has little to no shade. The west/north has plenty of shade.

All the creeks were on vacation, we saw zero bodies of water on this hike during this time of the year, July 29. Was hoping to find a nice shaded hike with streams of water during the heat.

Saw a few bunnies, lizards, ants and snake skins on the trail.

Started at 3pm and got back at 7pm. Got real dark at 8-820pm in the area. Gates close at sunset or 8pm.

Looking forward to coming back here in Spring time.

I have entered the trail in La Verne, near Live Oaks—around the trail’s 3.5 mile market—and have gone both directions—towards the trailhead in Claremont and the other way up the mountain. It is easy in the Claremont side, but gets progressively more challenging the other way. Around mile marker 5, the trail starts getting steep and progressively steeper. Not easy for sure. I’d say intermediate is more accurate. Also around there is shade no more! Good workout, but be prepared and know what you are getting into!!

Parked at Oak Mesa Elementary School off Wheeler Ave. Access to the trail through the park over the wash bride takes you to Los Robles right, to Via De Mansion right, to Orangewood St left, trail head half ways down the block on your left. Find the trail head on Google Maps “Marshall Canyon Biking Trail”

Trail has good shade throughout first 4 miles in then it opened up. Not to technical, some loose trails closer to the the top loop. Carful on Roller Coaster Trail coming down.

Great trail to get some cardio in. Be on the lookout, I had a bear pop out on to the trail today when I got to the top.

Loved this trail! Had some trouble finding it...Yes, you should go over the bridge and walk through the neighborhood...but once found it was great! This will be a repeated trail absolutely. I hadn't been hiking in awhile and this trail was easy enough that it didn't kill me. Great trees, some old stables and lovely scenery

Very easy and shady !!! Trees cover the trail the whole way so it’s not to hot . Nice stream of water at some points of the trail .

this is a great walking trail. perfect for beginners, bike riding, dogs, kids, and anyone who just enjoy quiet nature. It doesn't get too crowded and is always clean and peaceful. lots of shade and trees and grass. I grew up In la verne and have been coming to this trail for years and it's still just as beautiful as it's always been. especially after rainfall. Very easy but very peaceful

I really enjoyed this hike with my wife. There is tree coverage in certain parts of the trail as well. We started the hike past the golf course where there is a dirt parking lot at the end of the road. It's an easy hike.

Great for all ages

Nice easy trail. Arrive early to beat the crowds. We started at about 7:30 & had the trail to ourselves but by the time we finished there were lots of people & we were being constantly buzzed by mountain bikes (even though there last fews miles they're supposed to go 3mph…)

used this trail for biking and hiking for last 16 years. after a bad crash in chantry flats I quit for awhile. but I got a new bike, and i'm back. trails for great last week. conditions are nice. good size crowd. doing upper section next week. this is always my go to trail for a nice mountain bike ride for some lite cardio. lower half is shaded. entrance close to via de mansion.

Still confused about how to get to the lower trailhead for the Marshal Canyon trail. The green dot on the map begins at a park off Wheeler and the trailhead from there was too difficult to find and seems to go through a suburb. Finally ended up at the mid section off of Stephen Ranch Road. This trail head is not the Marshal Canyon trailhead, but the Spur Trail which ultimately connects to part of the Marshal Canyon Trail. Looking forward to hiking this trail, but honestly, even the trail map could do better at clarifying where all of the trailheads can be accessed.

Awesome trail with lots of terrain.

Great level of challenge. Not necessarily easy—more like moderate. The best part is the feeling of accomplishment. You’ll like it. If you want a shorter hike, park at the Regional Park. That should be a bit under 5 miles or so. If you want about 8 mile challenge park by Lowell Brandt Park. Have fun!!!

Love this spot. Also good for hikes

Fun good beginning trail.

Nice hike.. there were a few killer hills. Beware there’s lots of cross country teams training & mountain bikes but everyone was respectful of each other. There was a lot of shade so it’s not too hot. Didn’t finish the whole hike because one of the members of our group knee gave out.

I did a 5 1/2 mile version of this trail, as featured in John W. Robinson's famous book, "Trails of the Angeles." Avoid it on hot and sunny days, as there are many exposed sections.

One of my favorite trails. Not easy though and if you are hiking gotta watch out for bikers, they speed down the trail. ⛰

loved this trail, it's rated as easy it didn't feel easy to me. It was a great work out.

Love this trail for some mountain biking!

Nothing to crazy. This is the trail that sparked my hiking hobby. Good beginner trail. Tons of wildlife and rattlesnakes. ALOT I mean ALOT of horse poop on the trail watch your step. No crazy views but it is very scenic near the stream. I usually park on Stephens ranch rd , after the golfcourse in this dirt parking lot and start my trek down.

We love this trail! plenty of shade, challenging enough for a good cardio workout. We took our shihtzu and he loved it, especially the spot where the stream crosses the path. we'll be back! 10.9.17

With dog.

Will DEFINITELY come back to hike the whole thing and/or bike to Claremont loop. Peaceful running creek water and serene atmosphere of trees and rock