EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Marion Mountain to San Jacinto

Marion Mountain to San Jacinto is a 13.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild-Pine Cove, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Distance: 13.1 miles Elevation Gain: 4,520 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Full day hike! Definitely separates the avid from the casual hikers, this is one hike you want to be acclimated for, or allow extra time to reach the peak. If there's a hint of bad weather, make sure you are prepared for it with at least a windbreaker. You need to get a permit to enter the San Jacinto Wilderness. Get it from the station in Idyllwild. Day permits are also available at the Stone Creek Campground for this hike. There is a kiosk to the right just before you enter the campground registration area. Permits are unlimited, and they are free for day hiking. There are several routes up San Jacinto. Most people take the Palm Springs Aerial Tram up from the desert floor and begin their journey in Long Valley. The lesser-travelled Marion Mountain trail skips the tram, beginning a few miles north of Idyllwild. It's the shortest route up Mt. San Jacinto. It's also steep, climbing over 4,000 feet in under 6 miles.

The snow was too thick and I could n’t find the way back.

Did this hike a week ago! Enjoyed the hike and the views at the top! The way out felt like it took forever— potentially due to taking a few (six) wrong turns.

icy

icy

Started at Marion trail... no trail due to snow took me about 6 hours up! Rested 4 times and 4:15 hrs to come down! Took longer going up than I expected. Will due it again views were amazing.

Great! it was a really nice hike, yesterday it was the first time I hiked Mount San Jacinto via Marion trail even though I hiked before via the Tram, I must say that it's a little more demanding than Mount Baldy but it's only my opinion. right now there is two tiny streams of water at two thirds on the way to the Summit. The only sad think for me I lost my watch on my way up but the best thing I connected with amazing RNs from St Mary's Hospital and for me that's hiking about to connect with people that share the same things like I do. Happy Trails to All of you. Maurizio.

Completed on 11/13/19 This was a great trail that I can’t wait to come back and do again. It’s a steady uphill climb with a few switchbacks and even fewer non vertical walking paths. I took this trail for my first time summiting San Jacinto, and I’m truly glad I opted out of the aerial tramway. The views on the way up were amazing! There were a few sections where I thought the bugs were going to be an issue, but they ended up going away the higher I got. You can also use this trail to backpack on, but you will need permission to use designated camping sites along the way. There is an outhouse that you can find on the AllTrails map that you really can’t miss while you are on trail. The very end is an easy rock scramble to the summit. If you have done Cucamonga Peak or Mount Baldy (San Antonio) than you can for sure do this trail. The extra elevation really makes you feel accomplished at the end. Add me on Instagram: @InfiniteMountainPursuits

Trail is still in great condition. Cold and crisp in the morning, still a great hike until the snow starts coming down

rigorous. great views.

Beautiful butt-kicking trail with great views

Amazing views! Did it in 6 hours and 20 mins with my husband. Definitely a steep hike!

Amazing views from the top but getting there is a grind for sure.

Very strenuous hike but worth it for the views! It took forever due to our frequent rest breaks and photo opps. Steady continuous elevation climb which made for a knee jolting decent. My son and I now have completed 5 of the 6 pack of peaks. I would suggest a good pair of hiking/trail shoes, trekking poles and wear pants due to low brush/narrow trail.

fee

Wonderful hike... will do this one again and may camp this time. Nice little campground. Rock scramble at the top adds to the uniqueness of this trek....Loved it! I recorded 14.3 miles.

This is definitely a difficult hike, but it’s worth it. The hardest part for me was the hike down (which was a first). There were several creeks for filling up water. There are even a couple of out houses toward the top. I suggest wearing pants - there’s a good amount of scratchy bushes that you need to hike up against. There are also lots of lady bugs at the top! It took my group about five hours up and three and a half hours down.

Great day hike! Started early enough that the entire ascent was in full shade. The peak was surprisingly warm with no wind. Took 3 and a half hours up and 3 hours down. Coming down was definitely worse, especially on the knees. I tracked 14.5 miles rather than the advertised 13.1, but that may have been due to where I parked and improper calibration of my GPS.

Amazing experience. This peak pushed ourselves to the limit, and it was worth it. Camped at Little Round— several small streams along way to filter water. camped at little round. Temps in upper 30s at night. woke up at 5am to catch the sunrise at summit. Had the mountain top and the whole world to ourselves.