EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Marion Mountain to San Jacinto

Marion Mountain to San Jacinto is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Full Day hike! Definitely separates the avid from the casual hikers, this is one hike you want to be acclimated for, or allow extra time to reach the peak. If there's a hint of bad weather, make sure you are prepared for it with at least a windbreaker and 10 essentials. You need to get a permit to enter the San Jacinto Wilderness. Get it from the station in Idyllwild. If you can't get a permit for the hike, Marion Mountain Campground might be a way to sideline the 9 to 5 type restriction on permitting. If you get a campsite pass, you are supposed to be able to hike the Forest as well. You will still need a State pass for the area after about a mile and a half on the trail going up the mountain... Get both, or just stay at a campground and then get the State pass. There are several routes up San Jacinto. Most people take the Palm Springs Aerial Tram up from the desert floor and begin their journey in Long Valley. The lesser-travelled Marion Mountain trail skips the tram, beginning a few miles north of Idyllwild. It's the shortest route up Mt. San Jacinto. It's also steep, relentlessly climbing over 4,000 feet in under 6 miles.

My boyfriend and I started hiking being of this year, February 2017. so we weren't the most experienced hikers. We started hiking this trail as a way to get physically ready to go to Yosemite national park. I have to say that this Trail had changed the way I see hiking forever. Our first attempts, we were only able to go a little more than a mile in. But we came back every weekend and now we are physically able to make it to the summit.
Info on the trail:
There are many switchbacks the whole trail, so you will get a decent workout. The trail will often give way to beautiful lookout points where many hikers will stop to take a break and take in the amazing scenery! This trail is well shaded and is especially cool in the summer months compared to the surrounding desert areas. It is a well known trail and if you hike it often enough you will get to see the same dedicated people each week. So a happy and fun community of hikers will be present here. be sure to bundle up and stay warm if you come anytime in the fall or winter. The best time to hike this area is from June to October but even now in September it gets rather cold in the mornings. of you can bring trekking poles with you, pls do. They can really help you during the elevation gain. All in all though, my boyfriend and I absolutely love this trail. It has made hiking a lifestyle for us. I will forever say this place is near to our hearts.

Beautiful 360° view at the summit!

I completed this trail as my first peak of the SoCal Triple Crown in 24 hours. A friend and I started at about 1:30 AM and went slow and steady pace which took us 5h33m to complete. We measured the total distance from the parking lot to the summit and back to be 12.5 miles with EG to be 4,423'.

We had never been on this trail before so we drove to the trailhead at first but realized it was a campground so we drove back down and found the hiker's parking lot.

When hiking this trail it is possible to lose track and go down the wrong path at junctions. Have a good map and GPS handy to save yourself time and energy. Enjoy the view and the hike.

It was tough and technical with rocks and roots throughout. A very tough downhill!! The view at the top is spectacularly sweeping. And yes you can see Catalina, desert, mountains and basically most of SoCal. There are lots of side trails so keep your bearings and route with checks especially at the junctions.

This is an all day hike. We moved at a good/medium pace with a few short stops and 20-30 minutes at the peak...left at 8:20 am and finished at 6:00 pm. As part of the six pack challenge, this was our favorite. Also don't believe any of the mileage tracking you read...this is for sure at least 12-13 miles. Not sure why AllTrails tracked my miles and time moving at the times it shows. When I finished the hike it said 12.5ish miles and just under ten hours moving. Bring poles and prepare for warm and cool weather...and don't forget to look up from the trail...it's so so beautiful up there!

Very steep but pretty trail. Lots of rocks and tree roots,,, more like 12 miles

Tough hike but very doable. Pace yourself and you'll do fine. Poles helped a lot on the steep sections. One thing regarding wilderness permits, you don't have to go into Idyllwild ranger station. There is a kiosk at the Stone Creek Campground near the Campground station where you can fill one out and drop into the box. Saved me a half hour coming from I-10.