Marion Mountain to San Jacinto

Marion Mountain to San Jacinto is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Full Day hike! Definitely separates the avid from the casual hikers, this is one hike you want to be acclimated for, or allow extra time to reach the peak. Calories and water count. If there's a hint of bad weather, make sure you are prepared for it with at least a windbreaker and 10 essentials. You need to get a permit to enter the San Jacinto Wilderness. Get it from the station in Idyllwild. If you can't get a permit for the hike, Marion Mountain Campground might be a way to sideline the 9 to 5 type restriction on permitting. If you get a campsite pass, you are supposed to be able to hike the Forest as well. You will still need a State pass for the area after about a mile and a half on the trail going up the mountain... Get both, or just stay at a campground and then get the State pass. There are several routes up San Jacinto. Most people take the Palm Springs Aerial Tram up from the desert floor and begin their journey in Long Valley. The lesser-travelled Marion Mountain trail skips the tram, beginning a few miles north of Idyllwild. It's the shortest route up Mt. San Jacinto. It's also steep, relentlessly climbing over 4,000 feet in under 6 miles.

We did it 2 days ago, 6/17, and luckily it was 15-20 degrees cooler in the mountains with this recent heat wave. Runkeeper app clocked it at 12.2 miles. Great views, tough incline (2nd mile 1,000 ft gain), and I felt the effects of the altitude...did get kinda crowded at the summit. great views in all directions from the top. It took almost 5 hrs up and to our surprise going down took longer than expected...nearly 4 hrs...just seemed to go on and on.

This is one of the best trails in Southern CA, in my opinion. It has some very steep and challenging sections but also provides good straightaways to give your legs a breather. My buddy and I completed the hike in 5 hours going up; 3.75 hours going down. We typically average 45 min - 1 hour miles on our hikes, which include multiple stops throughout our hikes for catching a breather and enjoying the scenery, as well as a halfway extended break and time at the top of the summit. The Marion Trail offered a variety of views which kept our interest, wondering what would be around the next bend. Multiple "waterfalls" were a bonus. The last 1/4 mile to the top is basically straight bouldering with no marked trail -- just get to the top somehow. While it wasn't incredibly hot, I did go through 2L of water before reaching the halfway mark heading down. My buddy filled up water from one of the streams going down and used his UV filter. He brought poles and found them very useful on the way down. I suggest wearing pants (even if it's hot) as a couple sections require a tight passage through some spiky plants. We hiked as part of Whitney training, but would honestly do this hike again just for fun.

Enjoy the journey!

Very steep incline for the first 2 miles. The next 2 aren't bad and the final mile is excruciating

Very scenic, but very difficult. The hike was definitely more than 11 miles, my gps recorded 12 while other people recorded 15 miles. Takes about 5 hours to summit

Very hard but worth it

Fun challenge. Treated it as a training hike for the sierras with our packs on!

This was my favorite hike of all from the 6!peak challenge. Yes it is steep, yes I it is hard from Marion but my goodness it is gorgeous! Loved the wide trails through the campgrounds and the views on top!

Very challenging! Very steep! Going up was very hard and coming down was very painful… views are worth it especially at the peak when you look down to the desert floor of Palm Springs.

This is a beautiful hike. Most the snow has melted as of May 29. Just a few patches. The water flow in the creeks is going strong so yo you can filter water. First part of the trail is the steepest until you get to the Deer Springs trail. A lot of debris and rocks but all easily passable. Not crowded. Weather was perfect. Wore shorts and took a windbreaker I didn't use. Took us 9 hours round trip with multiple breaks. Don't forget your free permit at the ranger station.

San Jacinto peak was a challenge!