Marin Municipal Water District: Kent Trail along Alpine Lake is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Fairfax, California and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I normally don't review trails but there doesn't seem to be very much info on this one. This is a very long hike with some very steep areas. Most of the trail was up and down, sometimes steep and narrow. Make sure you start early! It took me, my husband, and two dogs 6.5 hours to hike the whole thing with no stops. This was definitely on the slow side because there was a lot of doubling back and waiting to allow other hikers and dogs to pass (narrow trail!). It was a sunny but cool day when we went. If coming from Bolinas-Fairfax Rd from the Fairfax direction, it's later in the morning, and the weather is nice, find parking before the actual trailhead but after the dam. If you pass the trailhead, the road gets steep and there's no space to turn around. Parking gets difficult and walking up a steep road to get to your car after a 9 mile hike isn't something you want to do. There's one portapotty at the trailhead. Bring your own toilet paper and hand sanitizer. The first mile or so was crowded from people trying to get to the falls but after that we saw maybe 10 people. Most of the trail is shaded but there is a good 2 miles of full sun on an uphill climb when you hit the Rocky Ridge Fire Road near Bon Tempe. About a mile before that is also pretty exposed but it's the flattest and easiest part of the whole trail. We kept our dogs on leash and almost everyone I saw had theirs on leash too. The terrain is narrow and challenging enough that they'll probably be forced to stay near you. There are trail markers at all the forks. There is no cell service once you leave Fairfax. There's a bit of signal at the beginning by the falls and another taste of signal at the top of the fire road. Make sure you download the map on Google or have a printout. This is all stuff I wish I would have known before my hike and I hope it helps.

Tuesday, May 03, 2016

I really wanted to do this trail from the direction instead of staring it at Bon Temp(since I've done Bon Tempe). I've never hiked the Kent Trail or Cataract Trail & thought this would be the perfect opportunity to do both. However, I guess the app doesn't realize the road is closed right when you inter the Mt. Tamalpais Watershed park. I'm sure this trail is beautiful & I didn't want to rate it since I didn't get to actually hike it, but do want to let ppl know that road is closed & if you'd like to hike it plan on starting at Bon Tempe Lake or find a way to drive in from the other end of Fairfax-Bolinas Road. You won't get there coming through Fairfax.

Sunday, May 01, 2016

Dog friendly !! A regular hike ... And lovely place for meditation by the lake...
Feels like I am in the sierras

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Nice hike with beautiful scenery. Deceptive in that it appears shorter than it is. Bring water. With no stops we made it around the loop in an hour and forty five minutes.

Monday, June 27, 2016