Manzana Trail is a 29.3 kilometer loop trail located near Los Olivos, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 29.3 km Elevation Gain: 1,004 m Route Type: Loop

We hiked in with our 10 & 12 year old daughters and camped at Coldwater Springs. The river had a good flow and made the 2-night stay particularly enjoyable. We hiked a little past Jeep Trail, exploring the river; found lots of turtles and frogs.

Did the loop counter clockwise, starting from Hurricane ridge - coming down school house campground - then going out on 2nd day. The ridge hike was super over grown and dry with no shade. The trail was good for a low elevation weekend trip to condition your legs, preparing for the prime summer season. But if you want to enjoy with pleasure, I'd suggest doing the creek in and out, not the ridge loop.

private property

Did the full loop, day 1 hiked clockwise and camped at the schoolhouse. The second day from the schoolhouse to the summit and to the parking lot was brutal. Totally overgrown. No shade. No water. Not for the faint of heart! Creek had some decent swimming holes but campsites were crowded.

We did the 18mile loop in one day. Strenuous but doable for avid hikers! Hiking out to the school house youll find tons of places to stop and swim. Awesome campsite around mile 4.6 with beautiful swimming pools and views. The climb to the ridge is very overgrown but the views from the summit are so worth it! We got to the ridge for sunset and I was not disappointed. We hiked the last 4 miles in the dark. Saw tons of spiders and ticks but made our way out safely! Lots of poison oak so beware and come prepared. I would do this hike again counter clockwise as hiking the summit at mile 13 is exhausting!

This was my first backpacking trip and I can verify what previous commenter Mike outlined if you plan to go Potrero - hurricane deck - Manzana schoolhouse camp route. My friend and I who are in our mid thirties and run regularly / are in decent shape drank about 269 ounces of water between us from Nira to Potrero camp to Manzana Schoolhouse. While we underestimated the time it would take / effort required we at least prepared with plenty of food and what we initially thought was too much water. Was more like just right amount of water. Note that weather was warm but not blistering. Also, I highly recommend wearing pants and gators. The trail overgrowth on hurricane deck slashed up our legs and we had to take several long pauses to pick all the stickers out of our shoes. The last 1/4 of hurricane deck was the most overgrown and rather tough at times to navigate - would be even more difficult going in reverse I’d say. The awesome views, unusual wildlife (horny toads x5, arroyo toad, green water snakes x2) and the experience we gained made it well worth it though.. Dry firewood was also plentiful at Manzana schoolhouse camp (check seasonal fire restrictions online). The next day we took the much easier path to Nira. Water was flowing and we too gave up in staying dry and just waxed through the water at each crossing. Once you give in its rather refreshing. I have so much respect for those who maintain trails and even when I was most frustrated with trail conditions I thought how difficult it would have been to hike up to hurricane deck and then have to work a tough job AND hike as you go, probably without pay as well. Thank you folks who made this trip possible.

Thu Apr 18 2019

Great loop. Make sure you are physically ready, and bring PLENTY of water! My 21 year old son and I did this loop counter-clockwise from April 18 - 20. It was our first overnight trip together and it was excellent. The first night we stayed close to the trail-head at Portrero Camp. Just past the Portrero Trail you'll find a perfect camping spot with a picnic table and fire pit. Next day we cruised up the Portrero Trail which was very well maintained and easy to follow. The Portrero Trail ends at Hurricane Deck Trail and 3600 feet elevation. We originally planned on going East to White Ledge Camp, but due to us going through so much water already, we decided to go West on on Hurricane Deck down to Manzana Schoolhouse. Full exposure and no water sources at all on the Hurricane Deck Trail. Also bring lots of sunscreen. We got fried and I quickly realized that I should have trained more prior to the trip. Ran into a Diamondback Rattlesnake about 30 minutes into our westbound progress. There are some pretty steep descents so make sure your footwear is on point. Mine were not, and I'm sure I'll lose a nail because of it! Made it to the Schoolhouse and more importantly the Manzana River. Spent 20 minutes lying on my back in the middle of the river (only 6 inches deep) trying to get cool. Worked! Camped in the schoolhouse meadow at another great site with table and fire pit. This campground also has a door-less outhouse with a great view of the mountains. Hiked out on our 3rd day. No elevation and TONS of river crossings...at least 2 dozen. No crossings were deeper than a couple of feet or so. Most were around calf depth. Ran into a few day hikers on the last day. Worst part of the trail were the black flies. They were out in droves, but luckily no biting. Picked up one tick. Would definitely do this loop again.

private property
Sat Apr 06 2019

Awesome trail. Very lush with a mix of shade and sun. TONS of cross backs over the river, though. We removed our hiking boots and put on sandals for the first two, then heard from a passerby there were 25 more to go, so we just trekked through all the streams in our boots and pants. Feet were soaked but worth it. Very pleasant, long hike!

Sat Mar 09 2019

The river is too deep at Potrero Camp...it's not crossable as of 9 March 2019. Hopefully the water level lowers soon! It's beautiful otherwise and the poppies are starting to bloom on the edges of the trail, but the river was just too high and forceful today.

Sun Jan 20 2019

Well maintained trail with many creek crossings and beautiful Mountain View’s. Would not recommend hiking through hurricane deck if you do not regularly backpack. It was pretty challenging compared to the trail back with creek crossings.

Sun Dec 02 2018

I hiked this loop in December and went in the clockwise direction. There was little to no water in the river so the crossings were not difficult but I can see how it would be a challenge with the rivers flowing. The first 8-9 miles were beautiful and relatively flat. The leaves had all turned fall colors. Once I got to the schoolhouse campground I decided to continue on and complete the loop rather than backtracking. I wish I had turned around. Across the campground you connect with the Hurricane Deck trail and climb! The trail along this section was poorly marked and looked like more of a sad goat path than an actual trail. Plus, since it had rained a few days ago there were parts of the trail that were slippery with mud. Then it was a relentless climb up to the ridge. The views are wonderful but other than that I couldn’t wait to get off the ridge. My GPS marked this loop as 17.8 miles rather than 20.3 like the description says but who knows. Overall this was a very enjoyable hike in a secluded and beautiful area. I would highly recommend.

Fri Aug 17 2018

Went in June, however much that shapes the experience, and had a difficult time with water. For anyone going, just know the last stream you'll run across is 2 miles before the schoolhouse and the school house is the final camping spot. We made the mistake of traveling on from the school house, thinking there might be water further along and another campsite and were forced to turn back. Cool hike though.

Mon Apr 02 2018

I traveled east on Hurricane Deck and connected with Manzana Trail near the schoolhouse and headed east. The flat terrain and ample water crossing was nice after a long hike up Potrero to the Deck. If you’re looking for a hard elevation trek this isn’t what you’re looking for. Be prepared to cross water 25+ times if you plan on going to the school house from the Sun Valley trailhead.

Mon Oct 09 2017

Great hike. Make sure to bring enough water. I wish that I had worn gaiters, lots of brush that gets in your boots. Great wide open views

Sat Sep 24 2016

Beautiful in the spring when wildflowers are blooming and water is flowing! Great for backpacking and day hikes. Lots of river crossing, so be prepared to get your boots wet!

Thu Sep 08 2016

Not sure if I had a unique experience, but this trail is definitely sketch! It's not hiked very often so the trails is overgrown in a few places leading up to the school house. The trail leaving the schoolhouse east is really hard to see! My friend and I got lost and had to back track. Also, watch out for wild donkeys

Fri May 22 2015

Good hike and great for beginners

Mon Jul 01 2013

Went backpacking on this trail took around 4 1/2 hours to hike all the way out to school house. Went in mid June it is very dry and was minimal flowing water but still some at certain stops (use filtration tabs and drank the flowing water felt good didn't get sick) I do recommend bug spray and sunscreen it was around 80 degrees when I went and feels like it!! But all around great hike!!

Sun May 06 2012

Great hike. Bring sunscreen and bug spray. Took me about 5 hours one way. Lots of creek crossings being extra socks and shoes!! Sometimes it's hard to find the trail but just follow the stacked rocks. Thank you to whomever started stacking them they helped a lot!

Tue Mar 27 2012