Manuel Peak Trail

Manuel Peak Trail is a 9.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sur, California that offers scenic views and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until September.

Distance: 9.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,395 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This was the most worthless hike , nothing to see , a good workout but not for someone that has never hiked before . It can be challenging in some parts and no shade best if you do it in cooler weather. Wear long pants and long sleeves had to dinghy my way thru a few spots very overgrown and obviously not really maintained well .

This trail was challenging but worth it. Bring PLENTY of water! Rarely any shade until you get towards the top. This is not a trail for kids!!

This is a hard trail that requires both physical and and mental stamina. You need mental stamina to fight the overgrown weeds especially the last mile. The good news is the trail slopes are moderate so not hard on your muscles going up nor on your knees going down. about two thirds of the trail is exposed, no shade at all, so don’t do it in a hot day unless you are accustom to it. Bring a lot of water, I would recommend about 3L each. The trail is narrow and washed out at many places, we did not feel any danger although you have to pay attention. You are not likely to fall off trail unless you are drunk-hiking or taking a stupid selfie for your Instagram followers. Don’t do in a wet day as it can be slippery. Wear long sleeves, pants and a hat as you will be scratched by all sorts of overgrown bushes and weeds or get your hair caught in twigs. There is no « Peak » as such, so disappointing. I would really recommend turning back at the mini radar/weather station about 0.3 miles to the top, it’s not worth going all the way, there is nothing to see. We hiked down at sunset and had amazing views on the ocean. Bottom line, Very long and narrow trail, challenging but not much interesting, I won’t do it again.

This is tough. Bring water and food, and please be careful.

3L of water for this trail for sure. About 4 hours for us. I love this trail. I've done it twice now with friends and we finally properly summited. The trail will level off at the top beside a rockier scrambling peak. 100% you need to make your way up that taller peak. Views are 360. All this said, long pants and socks are a must. We had to forde our way through huge overgrowths that are pretty sketchy sometimes.

This is a pretty killer hike. I would give this hike a 5/5 if it were better taken care of. That being said, it’s not. There is A LOT of poison oak. Poison oak everywhere. The trail for a lot of it as you gain elevation is pretty washed out. But man I gotta say, it offers beautiful views.

This trail is HARD, and is actually 11 miles out and back if you go to the peak (which has no marker and an anti-climactic view due to vegetation growth) with very little shade throughout. I took off at 9:17am and was soaked due to the fog and wet vegetation by the time I gained 500 ft of elevation — that lasted through about 1,500 ft of gain. The trail is not maintained well at the higher elevations. I’m 5’9” and many times the vegetation was over my head and tough to move through. You’ll encounter ticks en route and an insane amount of flies as you near the peak, also the terrain gets rockier and more treacherous as you climb. Oh, and three different climates: cold/wet; hot/humid; very hot/dry, in that order. This trail is NOT a casual hike by any means — be prepared! Oh, and yeah — I would do it again, but as a through hike to Molera.