Mandeville Canyon Trail

Mandeville Canyon Trail is a 7.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Los Angeles, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 7.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,102 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

historic site

Great views of the coastline and the greater area of Los Angeles

Moderate level, primarily up-hill hike (down-hill in return). Beautiful for 1-2 times, but I won’t be returning. Scenery is all hills with some views of the city (barely any ocean, though that wasn’t expected). There is no shade (at all) and the heat is definitely felt as you continue up the hills. Do not recommend it for dogs at all, unless at a very early hour with morning fog. Disliked there is no cell signal — Specially worrisome for cycling accidents or heat-exhaustion. The trail is amazing for cycling though. However, as a hiker, I didn’t like the trail has many fast turns and blind spots, which can increase the risk of accidents for cyclists, hikers, and dogs. Overall, won’t be returning. Lack of cell service and shade are major no-nos for me.

Very very hot

Phone read 7.44m in 1:37:51 with 1131 ft of gain. Fire road the entire way to the top. Top has a cool overlook that used to be part of some sort of Cold War era missile defense system. If you go early the majority of the hike will be shaded, if you do not there will be zero shade.

Overall moderate leveled hike. I took the old fire road to the top of San Vicente Mountain and it was a decent climb there with some incline on the way back. However, please DO NOT bring your dogs unless you are going early (think 7 am) or evening (after 5 pm) when it is cooler. There is absolutely no shade the entire trip. Today I saw dogs being carried down, crying, just stopping and laying down because it was too hot for them. I repeat, there is NO SHADE.

Just a fire road. Didn’t love the views. Meh.

Although it was 74, the ground got so hot for our Beagle’s paws that we had to carry him back down. We parked easily at 1pm and it is a mild elevation up hill with some mountain bikers around. We got a lovely cool ocean breeze, which definitely prevented us from realizing that our poor dog was struggling on the burning dusty ground :-/ A good hike otherwise and would do again after we’ve bought some dog booties!

One of my favorite easy go-to’s. Always find parking right at the base, and the views on a clear day are great. Watch out for some disgruntled bikers who don’t yell or use bells to tell you they’re coming, just get mad when you don’t hear them. No shade- bring a hat. And maybe don’t bring your huskies or dark furred dogs in the middle of July (I hate those people).

I wasn’t hiking there but running. All I can say its a good trail to run, but the parking is almost non existed. A restroom is only on top of the hill close to the Nike Missile Site. Nothing at the bottom. Sure its a nature, but you have been warned.

One of the best LA area trails. Unlike other LA area trails, you can actually find parking along the residential streets. If you start at the bottom, it is uphill just about the entil lenghth of the trail. It's about four miles one-way to the top where you will see the cold war era missile defense that protected LA and the surrounding basin throughout the Cold War. Needless to say, the views of Malibu, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Will Rodgers Beach and the Pacific Ocean are spectacular. There are lots of wildflowers you will encounter so it's a pretty trail. There are actually two primary trails you can take...the easier fire road or the.much steeper mountain bike trail which offers unparalleled views of the area. For those who like "celebrity spotting" this is your trail. Many celebrities live in the area and like to hike it because they are pretty much anonymous out on the trail. For the trail runners out there, I recommend using a hydration pack since there is no shade out on the trail and it does get warm.There is a working water fountain at the top by the old missile silo to fill back up. This is a great workout for training runs.

Great hike with LOTs of off-leash dogs. Most of the dogs were amazing and made us jealous, but a few had bad owners who did not call their dogs back when we mentioned our dog is not friendly. Our leashed dog gets nervous near big dogs, so owners should understand wen we ask them to call back their "mine's friendly" dogs, because unfortunately, mine is not. We went early, started at 8:30, and the hike was perfect; no crowds, overcast and cool. By the time we got back at 10:30, the paths were more crowded and the sun was getting hot. The parking lot is very tiny, but there's tons of street parking, and if you're there to hike, a few blocks of walking to and from the car can count as warm-up/cool-down time.

Definitely out in the sun. I did 2.5 miles in 5 round trip and there was a really good view at a small peak. Entry way does have a lot of dog poop. Overall good hike

Started the opposite way from Nike missile site. Great view at the bottom. Limited shade, easy hike.

I’ve done this trail twice with my dog. Lots of people by 9am. Lots of bad ass women hiking alone early. I feel totally safe and will do again. Off leash dogs ok.

A very unlovely hike. Exposed wide road up, nothing really to look at. At least on the way back you get a view of the ocean, but that's not exactly unique around here.

If you take the fire road is a very easy hike. No challenge at all and imposible to get lost. If you take the ridge it adds up to make it a moderate hike. It took me 2 hours and 40 to finish the whole hike. Perfect for dogs! There is water at the end of the trail, on Mt. Wilson but it’s super exposed so to really enjoy it try to go when it’s not too sunny/hot and bring water. Definitely a great, easy and beautiful hike! :)

I come here with my dog often. My dog loves it. What I like about this hike is that there are two path options to take: the one on the left is a steady incline, it's more of an inclined walk, and it actually does get shade for the early part of the day until the sun gets high enough. The path on the right offers a somewhat challenging bunch of hills that has steep inclines/declines. The nice thing about having these two paths is they meet up every 1/3 mile or so so you can ditch one path for the other frequently.

This was a great trail. It’s a gradual uphill if you take the fire road to the top. My pup and I didn’t make it all the way up because it go too warm for her (no shade). However, there are tons of off-leash dogs all over the place and the views were incredible.