Mammoth Rock Trail

Mammoth Rock Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

the first mile is pretty much uphill on soft drift/sand. it starts of at low elevation and as you climb you get higher and higher. I only made it 1.53 miles in and had to turn around to meet a friend in town. but the last half mile made the first mile worth it!! some ice and snow on the ground. so watch your step.

A really wonderful hike with great selection of different scenery. I took a small side ridge to get a view of the flowers in bloom. Definitely worthwhile. Left early to avoid crowds .. and allowed to take my dog off leash

Good first hike when arriving at this elevation. I did not do the return portion of the round trip. Instead I walked into town on Sherwin Creek Road so I missed the up-hill portion of the hike. As a result, it was an easy hike.

Lots of xc runners and mountain bikers present. Can't really blame them as this is better suited for trail running and biking. Enjoyable trail, relatively mellow with some nice views of the valley and ski area. Feel like it should be rated as "easy" though. The gain is only noticeable on your return assuming a start at old mammoth road. Saw a good sized buck near Sherwin Creek Road.

We were able to hike most of the way through the meadow and sagebrush and forest, but did stop at a big pile of snow blocking the path before we could see Mammoth Rock. However, it didn't matter to us because it was a beautiful trail. The best part though was all the deer! We were walking at around 4pm and saw at least 14 deer happily munching their dinner and watching us walk past. We had a great afternoon.

Pretty straight forward climb around the golf course and past the Snowcreek properties to bring you right up to Mammoth Rock. Pretty sandy at the beginning of the trail. This time of year there are still patches of snow with some being pretty significant. Some you can walk right over, others are too difficult and you'll need to walk around the snow to get past. Then right before the bend in the trail that sets you up for a straight shot at the Rock, there's steep, icy snow blocking the entire path and no routes around it exists (as of today). I had to stop at that point as I was ill prepared. If anyone is planning on doing this trail in the next week or two it might be a wise idea to bring some crampons and maybe even an ice ax to help lean on.

There are some beautiful wildflowers along the trail (especially at the beginning) and tons of opportunities to photograph wildlife. Came up on quite a number of deer during 5 or so encounters with them. Was never able to get a stable picture of them so I decided to go slow and quite. That's when I came across a blonde colored bear roughly 100ft. ahead climbing up towards the trail. So I backtracked a bit, "got loud", and started heading back in his direction. Pretty amazing sight.

There are TONS of deer out here right now due to the massive migration that just happened.

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Thursday, June 16, 2016

This was a great trail the views were spectacular. About a half mile in we seen a group of deer and as we entered into the pine trees we heard branches breaking and looked up into a tree above us and there was a brown bear staring down at us. So we moved along and let him be. Beauty at its finest.

Sunday, November 08, 2015