Mammoth Rock Trail

Mammoth Rock Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Great trail !

the first mile is pretty much uphill on soft drift/sand. it starts of at low elevation and as you climb you get higher and higher. I only made it 1.53 miles in and had to turn around to meet a friend in town. but the last half mile made the first mile worth it!! some ice and snow on the ground. so watch your step.

A really wonderful hike with great selection of different scenery. I took a small side ridge to get a view of the flowers in bloom. Definitely worthwhile. Left early to avoid crowds .. and allowed to take my dog off leash

Thursday, July 27, 2017

Good first hike when arriving at this elevation. I did not do the return portion of the round trip. Instead I walked into town on Sherwin Creek Road so I missed the up-hill portion of the hike. As a result, it was an easy hike.

Saturday, July 22, 2017

Lots of xc runners and mountain bikers present. Can't really blame them as this is better suited for trail running and biking. Enjoyable trail, relatively mellow with some nice views of the valley and ski area. Feel like it should be rated as "easy" though. The gain is only noticeable on your return assuming a start at old mammoth road. Saw a good sized buck near Sherwin Creek Road.

Friday, June 09, 2017

We were able to hike most of the way through the meadow and sagebrush and forest, but did stop at a big pile of snow blocking the path before we could see Mammoth Rock. However, it didn't matter to us because it was a beautiful trail. The best part though was all the deer! We were walking at around 4pm and saw at least 14 deer happily munching their dinner and watching us walk past. We had a great afternoon.

Saturday, June 03, 2017

Pretty straight forward climb around the golf course and past the Snowcreek properties to bring you right up to Mammoth Rock. Pretty sandy at the beginning of the trail. This time of year there are still patches of snow with some being pretty significant. Some you can walk right over, others are too difficult and you'll need to walk around the snow to get past. Then right before the bend in the trail that sets you up for a straight shot at the Rock, there's steep, icy snow blocking the entire path and no routes around it exists (as of today). I had to stop at that point as I was ill prepared. If anyone is planning on doing this trail in the next week or two it might be a wise idea to bring some crampons and maybe even an ice ax to help lean on.

There are some beautiful wildflowers along the trail (especially at the beginning) and tons of opportunities to photograph wildlife. Came up on quite a number of deer during 5 or so encounters with them. Was never able to get a stable picture of them so I decided to go slow and quite. That's when I came across a blonde colored bear roughly 100ft. ahead climbing up towards the trail. So I backtracked a bit, "got loud", and started heading back in his direction. Pretty amazing sight.

There are TONS of deer out here right now due to the massive migration that just happened.

Thursday, June 16, 2016

This was a great trail the views were spectacular. About a half mile in we seen a group of deer and as we entered into the pine trees we heard branches breaking and looked up into a tree above us and there was a brown bear staring down at us. So we moved along and let him be. Beauty at its finest.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

This hike is ok. It's probably a good hike for people new to Mammoth or those that prefer not to go into the wilderness. This trail has great views of the town and Mammoth Rock. Other than that, there is not a lot to see compared to other trails. Most of the trail, starting at Old Mammoth Road, is easy, with sections of large rocks. The end, getting near Sherwin Creek Rd, starts to look and feel more like Southern California. Lots of dead scrub brush, few trees, sandy and quite painful on a hot day as there is little shade. There are 2 unsigned junctions. To stay on the official trail, stay left at the first junction, and take a right at the second one. You should come out at Sherwin Creek Rd near the Mammoth Motocross area.

I was the only hiker that day. I saw 2 runners, and 5 or 6 mountain bikers. This trail is probably much more fun on a mountain bike, though it has exposure and certain sections are a bit technical.

Sunday, September 20, 2015

One of my favs when I'm home.

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Great views of Mammoth Mountain, Mammoth Rock and the valley, including views of Snowcreek Golf Course. Weather was a little breezy at the start of the trail, but as we gained altitude, the mountain sheltered us from the wind. Views are truly remarkable, and except for a few gains in altitude, I found this trail easy. Although it was mid May (shoulder season), we met half a dozen mountain bikers, all very courteous to make sure they didn't run us, or our dog, off the trail. Very few hikers, so you get a lot of privacy on this trail. Including photo opportunities, allow 5 hours for this fun hike.

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Nice trail with great views. I have friends who run this trail without a problem. Not a lot of shade.

Monday, July 30, 2012

beautiful...good weather !!!http://www.mattressland.co.uk/

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Moderate out and backing starting from the Sherwin Creek side. Sandy and steep near the start. Rest of the trail is relatively smooth with a gradual uphill. A lot of open views of Mammoth town and mountains including of course Mammoth Rock. Watch for cyclist.

Friday, October 14, 2011

Beautful trail with fantastic views. Easy

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

This is a multi use trail. You should expect to see horses,hikers and mountain bikers. This is a epic trail that will offer you spectacular views! I have mountain biked this trail numerous times. I have had close encounters with Mule Deer! Because my bike is rather stealth, I have gotten within 30 ft of deer. You could out/back or up/down hike this trail or you could get dropped off at the top and Hike/bike down. I ride from my house up to the top and then ride down. This trail requires intermediate/advanced skills to safely mountain bike. Great trail!