Mammoth Rock Trail is a 8.2 kilometer moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.2 km Elevation Gain: 236 m Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail

Looking great. Very little snow 3 trees down, but easy to navigate. Smiling.

This is a great trail to knock the rust off your mountain biking legs. Fun single trails - easy.

icy

Very pretty views on the top ridge. A little to sandy, rocky, exposed in some parts. I tripped several times. It’s not good for running or mtb in my opinion. Nice for a hike-walk other than the deep sand which is a bit frustrating

its an ok trail. nice view from top but not much ar bottom.

great easy trail. well marked and maintained. little sandy and rocky in places and totally dry in mid-October

Beautiful trail to hike in the morning. A bit chilly in the shade, but well worth the hike for the dogs.

Great trail with nice views. Saw 1 other hiker and 5 bikes.

I went out on this trail after reading reviews not realizing that most of them came from hikers. I consider myself a decent mountain biker but climbing is tough for me. We rode from the bottom up then passed by Mammoth Rock onto the downhill trail head then onto another trail that led to Twin Lakes. (About 6 miles total). It’s very loose soft dirt so the climbing was super tough and fast turns downhill are sketchy. I bailed off my bike a couple times because of the mix or loose dirt and big rocks on turns. If you are beginning to intermediate from the bottom up I’m going to say it’s more than moderate. If you’re a leisurely rider it will be hard. The views were spectacular and worth the work. I wish I would have known I could have gone in the other direction but I got a great work out. Had to stop and rest a ton but did it. Also there are some very narrow sections up high as well. Hopefully you can see it in the pictures.

Popular trail for hikers and bikers. I’ve never encountered bikers that are as polite as the ones you will find on the eastern sierras.

Mountain biked this trail with my husband and son (12). Some steep parts off to the side and sections with rocks to manouver around, so you need to be fairly experienced on a bike. Spectacular views, great to start off Old Mammoth Rd trail head for good down hill.

Great hike along the ridge with beautiful backdrops. Saw a deer roaming along the sage bush fields toward the bottom. No snow

Hiked only in the downhill direction. Great views and the bikers were all polite with encountered hikers. Be warned if accessing from the Mammoth Lakes Basin use Old Mammoth Road and not the trails because those trails, although short, have lots of snow and require good boots or poles. However, the Rock Trail has no snow.

Sat Mar 16 2019

Great views, very beautiful. Tough snowshoe going across the mountain!

Fri Oct 26 2018

My wife and I hiked down this easy trail as a warm-up for more difficult tails. It’s a great first hike of a season. The views are very nice and the trail passes through three different kinds of terrain. Note that while we were on the trail at least 80 cross country runners ran by and we were constantly having to step off the trail to allow the runners to pass; there were also a number of trail bike riders as well. This is a seasonal issue as I have done this trail many times before and rarely seen anyone on the trail.

Tue Jul 31 2018

Great trail !

Tue Nov 21 2017

the first mile is pretty much uphill on soft drift/sand. it starts of at low elevation and as you climb you get higher and higher. I only made it 1.53 miles in and had to turn around to meet a friend in town. but the last half mile made the first mile worth it!! some ice and snow on the ground. so watch your step.

Wed Aug 23 2017

A really wonderful hike with great selection of different scenery. I took a small side ridge to get a view of the flowers in bloom. Definitely worthwhile. Left early to avoid crowds .. and allowed to take my dog off leash

Thu Jul 27 2017

Good first hike when arriving at this elevation. I did not do the return portion of the round trip. Instead I walked into town on Sherwin Creek Road so I missed the up-hill portion of the hike. As a result, it was an easy hike.

Sat Jul 22 2017

Lots of xc runners and mountain bikers present. Can't really blame them as this is better suited for trail running and biking. Enjoyable trail, relatively mellow with some nice views of the valley and ski area. Feel like it should be rated as "easy" though. The gain is only noticeable on your return assuming a start at old mammoth road. Saw a good sized buck near Sherwin Creek Road.

Fri Jun 09 2017

We were able to hike most of the way through the meadow and sagebrush and forest, but did stop at a big pile of snow blocking the path before we could see Mammoth Rock. However, it didn't matter to us because it was a beautiful trail. The best part though was all the deer! We were walking at around 4pm and saw at least 14 deer happily munching their dinner and watching us walk past. We had a great afternoon.

Sat Jun 03 2017

Pretty straight forward climb around the golf course and past the Snowcreek properties to bring you right up to Mammoth Rock. Pretty sandy at the beginning of the trail. This time of year there are still patches of snow with some being pretty significant. Some you can walk right over, others are too difficult and you'll need to walk around the snow to get past. Then right before the bend in the trail that sets you up for a straight shot at the Rock, there's steep, icy snow blocking the entire path and no routes around it exists (as of today). I had to stop at that point as I was ill prepared. If anyone is planning on doing this trail in the next week or two it might be a wise idea to bring some crampons and maybe even an ice ax to help lean on. There are some beautiful wildflowers along the trail (especially at the beginning) and tons of opportunities to photograph wildlife. Came up on quite a number of deer during 5 or so encounters with them. Was never able to get a stable picture of them so I decided to go slow and quite. That's when I came across a blonde colored bear roughly 100ft. ahead climbing up towards the trail. So I backtracked a bit, "got loud", and started heading back in his direction. Pretty amazing sight. There are TONS of deer out here right now due to the massive migration that just happened.

Thu Jun 16 2016

This was a great trail the views were spectacular. About a half mile in we seen a group of deer and as we entered into the pine trees we heard branches breaking and looked up into a tree above us and there was a brown bear staring down at us. So we moved along and let him be. Beauty at its finest.

Sat Oct 10 2015

This hike is ok. It's probably a good hike for people new to Mammoth or those that prefer not to go into the wilderness. This trail has great views of the town and Mammoth Rock. Other than that, there is not a lot to see compared to other trails. Most of the trail, starting at Old Mammoth Road, is easy, with sections of large rocks. The end, getting near Sherwin Creek Rd, starts to look and feel more like Southern California. Lots of dead scrub brush, few trees, sandy and quite painful on a hot day as there is little shade. There are 2 unsigned junctions. To stay on the official trail, stay left at the first junction, and take a right at the second one. You should come out at Sherwin Creek Rd near the Mammoth Motocross area. I was the only hiker that day. I saw 2 runners, and 5 or 6 mountain bikers. This trail is probably much more fun on a mountain bike, though it has exposure and certain sections are a bit technical.

Sun Sep 20 2015

One of my favs when I'm home.