Learn more

Mammoth Crest Loop is a 12.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 12.7 miles Elevation Gain: 3,044 feet Route Type: Loop

I hiked this on Monday and the views were out of this world amazing but the wind was TERRIBLE. Do not hike this on a day when 60 MPH winds are projected! The winds and my lungs burning made for a very long and harder then usual hike but those views! Best I’ve seen in the Mammoth area. The slogs uphill were not to bad all considered. The trail was hard to follow in the scree areas past Deer Lakes though. Check out my blog for the whole tall tale. http://hungrymountaineer.com/elk-sweet-potato-chili/

Buetiful loop across the crest with amazing views. The trail is very faint above Duck lake but easy to navigate using geographic features. The George Trail is missing from the featured map and connects Emerald lake to George Lake via Bartlett. This route will keep you off pavement and shortens the overall distance.

This was an awesome hike! We started at 5am and didn’t see anyone until mile 8! However the last bit in the pack trail was awful I with I would have looked at the map better to go on the road the other way around Mary lake. It took us 6.5 hours and we got lost many times between the crest and duck pass. I’m glad I downloaded the map and did the recording!

Absolutely beautiful yet challenging. Lots of mosquitoes close to water / small lakes. Took about 11 hours doing the whole loop. Some trails are blurred or not visible that we were lost couple times. Download the map so that you know where you’re at whenever lost. Bring lots of water, we ran out of water for the last 3-4 miles.

Sun Jun 30 2019