Malibu Springs Trail to Nicholas Flat Trail

Malibu Springs Trail to Nicholas Flat Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Malibu, California that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding.

the , teal fun, not to strenuous!!! thanks for the heads up,Jen.

awesome Jen, thanks

awesome thanks to a wonderful friend, JENNIFER

This was an awesome and challenging hike! Be aware that the initial path is very overgrown with some kind of tall grass and I would recommend wearing hiking pants. I had shorts on because it was very hot out and I was fine but my legs got a bit chewed up by all the overgrowth, while my sister had spandex leggings on and she was much better off (and much sweatier). We cut off about half a mile by taking a shortcut a little past the pond instead of doing the full loop. It was a great workout and some very pretty views and the pond was a nice reprieve after all the uphill. As other reviewers have said, take the left at the fork!

Great trail. Took around 4.5 hours with my 11 yo. Some challenging steep sections. Definitely take the left / lower path on the fork. Otherwise you’ll have a really steep climb! The pond is very lovely. Take a break from the set trail and explore the rocks at the back side off the pond. You can climb up to get the very best views of the hike and sit on the huge rock overlooking the pond to take a break. Like others we used the app throughout to make sure we were on the right trail and pretty sure we would have taken some very wrong turns otherwise.

Went on 12/21/17

This trail is definitely an adventure with a little bit of everything... mountains on one side and Pacific Ocean (Leo Carrillo) on the other with a beautiful pond in the middle. Yes, the beginning of the trail has not been maintained but it's really not that bad if you wear actual hiking pants vs leggings. The few trees blocking the trail were easy to go under or climb over and added to the adventure. It took us about 4 hours including a stop to take in the pond (there's a nice bench) and have a snack as well as stopping for quite a bit of photos. We definitely needed to use the app map at some points to make sure we were going the correct direction.

As for the fork in the "road"... Yes, go counter clockwise but that means to the LEFT (lower path) not the right as was mentioned in a previous review.

the trail is there just over grown with straw bush and like 5 fallen trees all which are a simple jump hurdle except for one that you kinda have to climb over....this goes on for the first 40 minutes of the hike but it's not that bad...where it is bad it's only for a few yards but it worth the hike and going to the pond to rest...no real great scenery...but I kind enjoyed it

There is no Trial. Full if bushes and fallen trees.

Amazing hike! Go counter clock wise so to the right at the fork trust and believe the end of the loop is worth it. Save the best for last. I love nature so going through the overgrown vegetation was fine with me. The lake on top is very relaxing and perfect for a break and a snack. This hike is about 80% overgrown but it's nothing you cannot deal with. There is a small part where you walk through a flower that has spikes. I had tights on and I felt it through but it's just a tiny poke and that's all. There are a few bees working away some flowers on the trail but if your slow they just fly to another flower. I went over 8 fallen tree trunks nothing too bad. I absolutely recommend the explorers to do this one. Happy Trails!

Great hike. Go counter clockwise.....I have done it both ways so trust me :)

Nice trail. We were there on a Saturday and saw two people the whole hike. Trailhead is marked but only parking for three or so cars. Trail itself is clear and easy enough to follow, but somewhat overgrown with grass. A few small tree trunks to climb over, thistle and prickles, as well as poison oak near the trail, so wear long pants. Nice views of the mountains and ocean views at the top.

The Malibu Springs section was most of the challenge of this trail. It ascends steadily from a few hundred feet to ~1800ft in a 2-3 mile span. That part of the trail is narrow and overgrown in many areas, with a few fallen tree crossings. Once you get to the top of the hill and see the pond and meadow, the rest of the trail is easy and dare I say relaxing. There is a nice spot by the pond to stop and break for food or whatever. You'll know it when you see it, trust me. I thoroughly enjoyed this hike and I will return.

Lot of overgrown bushes/plants in the way of the trail. Heard rattlesnakes all over which made the hike pretty sketchy and unenjoyable. A lot of the bushes that were in the way were the spiked ones that make your skin have an itchy/burning sensation for a while afterwards. My dog also had 3 ticks on her after the hike. Didn't even make it to the lake & had to turn around because the trail was that unenjoyable.

Sunday, March 26, 2017

This hike is amazing. Beautiful views of Santa Monica Mountains and ocean.

Monday, February 27, 2017

Nice hike and some good views.

Monday, January 30, 2017

good trail to hike. Nice and peaceful hike

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Our favorite trail so far, it only could have been better if there was water in the lake. We will be back. Only thing is All Trails says dog friendly, but the trail head is clearly marked no dogs. Not quite sure what is up with the incorrect information.

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Too much brush , path is hard to see and seemed A bit sketchy.

Sunday, February 21, 2016

LOVED IT

Sunday, February 21, 2016

1st two miles is 90% of the elevation gain, Very narrow shady trail. awesome Hike

Thursday, July 09, 2015