Malibu Lake Trail

Malibu Lake Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Calabasas, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Some of the highlights along Malibu Creek, in central Malibu Creek State Park. Malibu Creek State Park is a sprawling 10,000 acre park that protects 25-mile long Malibu Creek, the largest watershed in the Santa Monica Mountains. The creek itself is somewhat unusual in that it has cut a path through hard volcanic rock instead of the softer sedimentary rocks north of the Goat Buttes, which makes for some spectacular scenery during any time of the year. More than 30 miles of trails and fire roads are available throughout the park for hikers, mountain bikers, and equestrians. There are also a few areas to swim and fish, and many rock climbers also practice their craft here. The area used to be a country club, and some of the buildings and landscaping from that era remains to this day - including the Visitor Center and Century Lake - originally built as a recreational lake and now a unique freshwater marsh that provides a stop-over for migratory birds in the winter. The park has also been home to filmmakers over the years. Movies like "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Planet of the Apes," and the television show "M*A*S*H" were all shot here - and several setpieces from M*A*S*H are still here. This route follows the namesake of the park as it meanders through several areas of spectacular scenery. This is an outstanding example of Southern California terrain that's definitely not to be missed.

The kids and I love hiking here!

Parking is 12 dollars. Some people park on Mulholland Dr and walk in to avoid the fee.

This trail scales closer to easy. There's no dramatic inclines or excessive rough terrain. Family friendly!

Pretty straight forward with on and off shading. Century Lake was my favorite point of interest. The 50 ft dam can be accessed with some easy trespassing, but there's no safe way to get to the base of the dam.

The set of M*A*S*H is half way through the hike.

Unfortunately the ending is rather lackluster as you are dropped off on the tip of Malibu Lake which is gated off completely. No point to the end other than to reach it.

Cool hike. Starts off pretty easy, and then gets a little more fun. We took our 5 and 7 year olds, and they enjoyed it, too. I love MASH, so that was fun for me and the rest of the family.

I'm going camping there soon so I'll see if I like it.

Loved the hike and will go again for sure

Closed today.

Hiked this trail yesterday. Loved it. Will do it again.

Beautiful - I did it once before and it was totally manageable. But I was there last week post rain storms and a majority of it was impassable due to the water.

If anyone went to this trail today (2/25) can you please post an update on the condition of the trails

Thanks

Malibu State Creek

So we attempted to Hike the M.A.S.H site at Malibu Creek State Park but with the storm we had it completely washed out the trail. So we were unable to access it. The Trail leading up to the bridge is a puddle. Just to cross the bridge you had to go over several fallen trees. To cross to the other side of the bridge you have to cross a steam knee high and along the rest of the way you will have to walk through water. We went as far as the caves that are on the left of the trail and couldn't go any further unless we were willing to walk through waist deep in water.

We did get to visit the Dam and explore other areas of the park. It's definitely one of those places you can go back to and hike several trails. We got there before it opened, so we just bought our parking pass through the parking machine which is $12. If you want to avoid the cost, you can park on Mulholland and walk in. I also bought the park map on the way out, which was $2. So next time I return we can explore new trails.

The whole park is gorgeous. This is a relatively mellow hike with lots of photogenic scenery.

A nice local hike and not too tough for the kids. Beautiful scenery and the creek seems to have more water that normal given the recents rains. A very nice family hike.

Beautiful scenery

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Great park to explore. It costs $12 for a day pass and extra for a park map. I came on a Saturday late morning and hiked by myself. The park and trails were moderately populated - just enough to make you feel safe, but not crowded. The trails were pretty well marked. I explored all around - to the M.A.S.H. Set, century lake, rock pools and Reagan ranch. I was able to do this in less than 3 hours as I mixed hiking with some trail rubbing. The hike is pretty moderate, though there is some good terrain to do hill sprints. Also good hike to do as a group as the trails are pretty wide. Also saw a handful of mountain bikers.

Saturday, October 15, 2016

Easy long hike with a very nice view all through out.. MASH site is there too.. mostly shades and there's a lot of dears and blue birds.. creek is a little dried up right now.. but all in all i was satisfied with the hike

Saturday, October 01, 2016

I haven't been here since the big drought, so it was a real disappointment to see so many shades of death along the trail. It appeared that all the trees were dry and bare, the riparian landscape was muted and bleak. It's not the place I remembered, but the hike was easy and light.

The MASH film site was in good order! I would warn you that the hike is a bit anticlimactic as it dead ends at a chain link fence without a view of the Malibu dam.

As far as wildlife goes, we saw a few turtles in the stagnant ponds along the creek, but few other signs of life.

If you're coming expecting the same old Malibu Creek, I would suggest waiting until Spring.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

There is a small creek resivoir which is accessible but the Malibu lake is actually a closed private community so you can't even get there and they fail to mention that. After 3 miles of hiking we found out that we can't even get there.

Monday, September 05, 2016

Great trail

Monday, August 01, 2016

I like this hiking trail , but the lake water was not clean!

Thursday, June 09, 2016

It's a nice place to go hike