Main Divide Road

Main Divide Road is a 20.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Lake Elsinore, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking, and off road driving and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Point to Point

off road driving

Did this trail Memorial Day Weekend 2017. This was a really fun Trail easily accessible to anybody in LA/OC. Check online to ensure the gates are open with the Cleveland National Forest Website. The start of the trail from the Ortega Highway route was pretty rutted at first but smooths out after a couple miles. Definitely has its challenges, but shouldn't have any issues with 2WD and decent clearance. Did it with ease in my basically stock 4Runner, used 4WD because I wanted to not because I had to. Santiago Peak is a nice stopping point to stop and grill out with a nice view. Went down the Maple Springs route which totaled out to a roughly 30 miles trail (20 on Main Divide and 10 on Maple Springs). There's a couple different combinations to get up and down including Maple Springs, Indian Truck Trail, or taking Main Divide Road the whole way. Will run this trail again.

off road driving

Did this trail in a Subaru Crosstrek (thank you Subaru for making rugged little cars capable of taking a beating) anyway, 91/2 inches of clearance and skid plates did help, wouldn't recommend any clearance below that. We went both from Ortega to just below Santiago Peak and from Maple Springs to Modjeska peak on different days,be warned, there is a NASTY NASTY rut about 400yds below the summit of Santiago Peak, it's all the way across the road and is very deep (probably a foot or deeper), we almost ripped the front bumper off trying to get through it and never did. There are some very tough spots that have had several rock slides and are only loose shale, parts of the trail are severely washed out, and there are some spots where you don't want to look down if you're afraid of heights (on the Ortega side, Maple Springs isn't as bad) the forest service does close this trail during the winter (Novemberish-Marchish depending on weather and trail damage from rains) and there is no OHV access during that time from Indian,Harding,Bedford or Maple Springs,(truck trails) or from off Ortega hwy. It's a fun trail, but it is trying at times and we took a couple pretty gnarly hits on the skid plates so be wary of loose rock, washes, and some nasty terrain. Beautiful view once you hit the peaks though that made it worth the beating.

off road driving

Very scenic but all of the dirt roads have been closed off to off-road vehicles only bikes and hikers were allowed

off road driving

Can't take Razors or Mavericks on the trail. Was told by forest service today. Couldn't rate the rest of the trail because I never got to do it. But getting there was easy.

off road driving

great trail glad to see it so active but lots of speeding drivers be safe yall

off road driving

Great trail for 4x4. If you don't have high clearance or a 4x4 you will struggle with the trail. Did it in a Ram Powerwagon, it was tight in some bits but made it with zero issues. You take the directions off the Ortega Highway for Bluejay campground, continue straight and once you hit a gravel road, there's a white gate on the left. Drive through and enjoy. Did there and back in about three hours. Lot's of scenic views and a good way to test different aspects of your 4x4.

This trail was so much fun! Tacoma double cab sport took it on. Some deep crevices but stock could prob make it. A little bit of everything on this one. Flat trail, rocky trail, scenic all rolled into one. Hard to find. Make a right at North main divide, it's a paved road, go up about three miles and it'll be on your left. Alot of fun!

Thursday, May 05, 2016

The directions on this app are wrong. This trail is a bit hard to get to but once you do there are great views! Trail traffic is almost non-existent. There are a few large ruts in the road, but my king quad had to problem going over it. I would suggest a 4x4.

Sunday, January 03, 2016

Great time...brought my Polaris RZR 1000 turbo had no problems with the terrain, great views!!

Thursday, December 31, 2015

Took my Subaru Outback out for a spin today on the trail. Saw some awesome views and beautiful terrain! Definitely doable with any 4x4 drive car, my Subaru did fine but definitely would have been helpful to have a little more ground clearance. Only got about 8 miles in before turning around so I didn't do the complete trail but had a great time! Very highly recommended!!!

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Very fun drive. My wife and I took our dogs out for some 4x4 fun. There were a few spots that you could tell people chickened out on, leaving some big ruts in the road while they turned around after being stuck. All in all the trip was beautiful and very easily managed outside of 4x4. We have a Toyota 4Runner. There's a lot of different routes to take. I'm not sure if it comes out on the other side, but we have spent hours out there having fun. We stop to let the dogs out regularly and they can't get enough! Stop often and hike up for some spectacular views, particularly during sunrise/sunset.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

we tried to off road today, but the white gate was closed.

Sunday, October 04, 2015

Update to my review for any first timers. If your following the apps directions through your smart phone it's going to route you to make a left or right turn into nothing/no entrance depending on where your coming from. Don't let this confuse you as there is a road with a sign that says main divide. For me coming from Lake Elsinore I needed to make a right into this road which was about a quarter mile before my Navigation said to make a left to get onto the starting road.

Now drive until you see I think it's called blue jay campground, pass that about another 1.5 miles until you wrap around a mountain and to your far left will see an open white gate leading up into a rocky trail. Now the trail actually begins (4x4 mandatory)

Monday, September 28, 2015

Had a great time yesterday with my kids and Fiancé off roading in our new 2015 Ford F-150 4x4 Sport. It was a nice break in course and close to home since we're from Lake Elsinore but definitely ready for some rougher terrain given how easy the truck took on this one. Overall great time though.

Friday, May 29, 2015

This is a great off road experience for my first time. Not too difficult, but a great place to get a good feel and learn your vehicle when off roading. Depending on what part of the road you start and head there were some steep roads (but uphill and downhill) with lots of rocks. Overall a very fun place to visit with lots of long trails. Found my way out at Indian truck trail. Have come back at least 2 more times since and visited the Santiago peak (radio towers)

Monday, February 16, 2015

Fun trail ride! It is really bumpy due to the rocks which can get old after a while, but the views are awesome! To get to the trail start on North Main Divide Truck Trail, not the one where the pin is. Besides that confusion it was pretty simple to find. Also once you get to the top you can take Indian Truck Trail out and it will drop you off close to I-15. This is shorter than following the main divide and similar in difficulty level. We had a great time though!

Monday, November 17, 2014

I did the south section of this trail. The trail was easy, that is if the highest and drop offs don't unnerve you. I was heading to the Wildomar OHV trail from Ortega hwy. I only did 6 mils of this trail and decided to turn back as it was getting late.