Maidenhair Falls via Hellhole Canyon Trail

Maidenhair Falls via Hellhole Canyon Trail is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Borrego Springs, California that features hot springs and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, camping, and nature trips and is best used from October until May.

hot springs

Just dont forget a hat or something to shield the sun!! Cant recommend that enough!

We went the second weekend in March during the super bloom on a Sunday when everyone on the planet descended on the teeny town of Borrego.
We parked at the visitors center so, added over a mile to the total distance.
I loved this hike! Of course, all the flowers were amazing but, the amount of water we encountered in the desert was the big reward.
It was an extra warm 92 degrees for early Spring so, I struggled a bit (I'm 52) on the long, slow incline.
BRING PLENTY OF WATER!!
I finished off my 2 liter camelback.
Again, we started from the visitors center. I would recommend starting from the trailhead although, the visitors center is great if you've never been.

Really fun hike...The waterfall although small it was beautiful...Get there early to avoid crowds and bring plenty of water, especially if it's a hot day.

Highly recommend going out some time soon while all the flowers are blooming. I started on the trail at sunrise and i was the only car in the parking lot, but by the time I was leaving the place was jam packed (even though it was a weekday). Definitely recommend going early! You'll get the sunrise (and that golden hour light), cooler temps, and less crowds!

Completed this hike today 3/25/17. The wildflowers were in bloom. The winds and cool weather made the trek easy to moderate today. Im sure during the summer this trail could be difficult if one doesn't prepare for the heat and bring plenty of water. Today though the weather made this trail inviting. I almost wished Maidenhair Falls was a few miles further. The trail gets lost several times during the final leg of the hike as you will encounter several areas where you must rock scramble at the palm oasis. Stay to the left and you'll have an easy time relocating the trail.

Fun trail. As a newbie the bouldering near the end was a little intimidating but overall a great hike!

Go early! This is a popular and crowded trail.