Maggie Lakes via Summit Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(51)
Golden Trout Wilderness

Maggie Lakes via Summit Trail is a 18.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 18.6 miles Elevation Gain: 4,150 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is great, if you like hiking up hills to false summits over and over again! Lol

Hiked on Sept, 28-29th. Caught in the first cold front of the season made this trail a challenge. dense fog, rain, hail, high winds and temps from mid teen nights to low 30 afternoons. From start to finish it's a constant change in scenery and surroundings with the rise and fall of elevation. 4000ft gross gain is accurate but according to my buddies pedometer we did 30mi out and back from the 2nd lake which felt very accurate by time we got back to the trail head. in warmer weather I'd carry more water but on this trip a 32oz water was enough to get through to a stream to fill back up at. a couple long uphill stretches take the biggest toll on you but for the most part it's pretty easy going between these parts. Definitely going back to do this one again but not till next season.

Beautiful lake great campsites next time im taking a horse

8/31/19 What a wonderful backpacking trip this was. The trail is absolutely gorgeous the entire way! The trail is very well-maintained. Though there were several downed trees, there was always an easy path around them. There were plenty of wildflowers, lush green Meadows, and a whole bunch of butterflies. There really weren’t that many places to get water late in the summer. But 2 L of water should be able to get you to the farthest stream. When we went, we lucked out and there weren’t that many mosquitoes or gnats. But you definitely want to find out before you go, because they can be horrendous from what the reviews have said. This hike is pretty strenuous because it has a lot of ups and downs. The net gain in elevation from trailhead to highest point on the trail was only about 1000, though the gross gain was 4100 ft. That should tell you that the return trip is not simply a downhill hike. As many of the reviews have said, the fish in the first lake are extremely hungry. I had a nibble my very first cast! In fact, I brought in two rainbow trout in seven casts, and I fried them in olive oil for dinner. They will bite at anything. I was using spinners, Kastmasters, and spoons. It might be a good idea to pinch or file away the barbs on your hooks, especially if you have treble hooks, since you will be catching so many. I switched to a single.hook spoon in the morning before we left since I knew I was going to release them all. For anyone curious about the drive to the trail head, about 10 to 15 miles of the drive is going to be on a dirt road. You do not need a 4 x 4 when it’s dry, but it’s advisable to have at least a crossover’s ground clearance. A sedan may be able to make it if lines are chosen carefully.

Such an amazing hike, when we went there were very little bugs and the weather was fantastic, a small rain shower one night but it cleared up by morning. If you're a beginner I would think twice before doing this hike and make sure to pack efficiently! the elevation gain is pretty high, especially on the way to the lakes. We were able to drive out to the trail head in a sedan just be careful, the last quarter mile of the dirt road is a bit tricky.

Did the whole out and back with a 27lb pack in about 6hrs. Lake is beautiful and well kept! Definitely coming back for some trail running!

Hiked from the Summit Trailhead at the end of Forest Service road 21S50. The road was a little rough but doable in most cars if careful. The trail started nicely with a couple of small trees across the trail at the begging but nothing major. Jacobsen and Mowery meadow was very green and had water flowing so good and easy places to get water if needed. After Griswold meadow trail goes through a large area of downed trees and the trail get a little hard to find, luckily there are rock stacks to help you along the way. Trail gets a little better as you head down towards Pecks Canyon and there is a creek right before the junction with Pecks Canyon trail(i think that's what that's called but heads to Pecks Cabin.) The trail once again gets difficult to find here. There are some rock stacks but I think due to the fallen trees some seems misleading. But once you start heading up towards the lake it clears again. Great looking campsites right off the lake. Only visited Lower Maggie but seemed like water was flowing out of lower pretty good so they are probably full. All in all a beautiful hike.

That shit sucked, we hiked 10 miles and werent even 2/3 of the way, i almost died due to snow on the trail and the cliff near by, the trail is very good in the spots you can see, ill have to come back sometime later in the year when the snow melts

TRAIL CONDITION UPDATE just got back last night after trying to do this trail. constantly lost the trail due to snow. eventually ran into so much snow that I gave up. lots of mud everywhere off the trail. Also, the road to the trail was blocked by fallen trees, had to start hiking 2 miles before the trailhead. Ran into a black bear too while lost off trail, so don't stray from the trail. Also, bring a bear canister if backpacking and bear spray

Sat Jan 12 2019

Ok ... no real review but to note road closed (far from trailhead) for THREAT of snow 01/12/19

Sun Oct 14 2018

I’m ok shape, middle age, 20 lb pack. Got to Summit Trailhead at 2:00 Friday. Camped about 2 miles from Lakes at 5:00. Saturday hiked around all three lakes and back to car by 3:00. Middle Lake is prettiest. Some snow, a few hunters. Very similar to Dinkey, Cliff and Jenny Lakes, but no other people.

Mon Aug 13 2018

Pretty nice hike. Drove up Friday night and slept maybe a mile before the trailhead. The road getting to the trailhead was rougher than I expected. Some decent sized rocks. I saw a sedan at the trailhead so I guess any car could make it, but there was a piece of a broken off skid plate from a car up there too. We left Saturday morning and it took us about 5 hours to get there. It’s mostly shaded and the trail is well defined. Some meadows and flowers. The lakes are very pretty plenty of good campsites. The upper lake reminded me of something out of a fairy tale. It’s small with a tiny island and a single funny looking tree. We stayed the night and made it back in 4.5 hours. Overall it’s a really nice hike!

Fri Jun 08 2018

My favorite place. Easy hike from shake camp along the Tule river, lots of water. The trail crosses the river maybe three times, The last three miles is up, after the switch backs there is summit lake. After catching Brook trout and turning in for the night we wake up and head out over sheep mountain, up then down to twin lakes, after a nice break its Maggie. Maggie is awesome, three lakes to play with, trout fishing is ok. Nights are nice, afternoons are nicer, naps in my hammock was very nice. Bears, deer, coyotes. Scouting the area fishing the creeks below for Golden Trout, then packing out the trail to quaking aspen cause its shorter. The pack station at Balch park, is why the trail to summit lake and Maggie is open, not the Forrest service, there was no trail from twin to Maggie after the fire, I was there and the pack station new where it used to be and made the trail to Maggie. I would also tell you to have them pack you into Maggie in a day, stay longer with extra food, then backpack out and enjoy. Its an easy trip, plenty of water sources, and ok fishing. I would recommend this for first time and seasoned packers all. Depends what time of year, mosquito head net is a must, and I use mosquito wipes, they work ok for a while. I like the pictures here, I saw the rocks I made around my tent in the pics. You must have went after I did, what happened to the big yellow pot with lid? I found it at one of the old camps, brought it to mine, used it to boil water for dishes and clothes and stuff.

Thu May 24 2018

Hello, first time using this app, have been on this hike before with a different buddy and loved it. Just one concern does the map take you right to the trail head?

Wed May 23 2018

great hike, seemed like we went uphill both ways. the views at the lake were great and you could see the trout cruzing the banks. the trail is challenging to follow in a few flaces and theres a lot of down trees to walk over or around. plenty of water supply along the way

Mon Dec 04 2017

Difficult with a heavy pack but views and the lakes (lower and upper Maggie) were awesome!

Sun Aug 20 2017

We set up base camp at the 1st creek crossing approximately 1 mile in. Then we ran to Maggie Lakes 8 miles. Did some swimming and fishing with no luck. Ran back and had fire going by 5pm. Weather was perfect and views spectacular. Did another 4 mile run before coming back home.

Tue Jul 04 2017

First of all, the trail you take is not called Maggie Lakes. You take the summit trail all the way. Wish I knew this in advance because once you get up there, there is no reception and I had to drive back down to Nelsons camp to get figure out what trail I really needed. I used this app and it had me at a completely wrong point so don't rely on the "get me there" coordinates. Go to the summit trail. This was tough. I was definitely not prepared for the uphill battle. Beautiful scenery and lots of wild flowers and beautiful meadows. However, it is definitely not a horse friendly trail. Having been on a few tough trail rides I give horses a lot of credit. However warning to you would be equine trail enthusiasts, I wouldn't take a horse on this one because there are too many downed trees that don't have a way around and once you reach the lake there isn't anywhere to set up a fence or hobble to allow grazing. I took my dogs on this trip and wish I had gotten booties for them. Careful if you bring a dog to mind their paws. The tree sap causes some real damage between their paw pads. And lastly, make sure to bring plenty of water. There is only a reliable source at the beginning and end. I ran out and had to melt snow as it took me two days to get back instead of one. Again, I'm a little out of shape and my pack over weighted to have made this my first hike of the season, but if you're looking for a challenge and a beautiful vista I would recommend it.

Wed Jun 28 2017

Parts of the trail were difficult to follow due to snow and winter. We had downloaded the map from AllTrails and had no problem finding our way. I would highly recommend downloading the map before you go.

Tue Mar 14 2017

Round trip in one night with my wife. We should have spent two nights. Took us about 12 hrs each way. Beautiful but rugged on the downhill. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Completed this in July of 2015.

Tue Jan 03 2017

Great hike well maintained the first steam is the only reliable one till the lake, amazing vistas and meadows with flowers of ever color

Wed Nov 16 2016

awesome and somewhat tough hike. did some fishing but didn't catch anything. the person camping next to me did tho