Maggie Lakes via Summit Trail

Maggie Lakes via Summit Trail is a 18.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Springville, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Pretty nice hike. Drove up Friday night and slept maybe a mile before the trailhead. The road getting to the trailhead was rougher than I expected. Some decent sized rocks. I saw a sedan at the trailhead so I guess any car could make it, but there was a piece of a broken off skid plate from a car up there too. We left Saturday morning and it took us about 5 hours to get there. It’s mostly shaded and the trail is well defined. Some meadows and flowers. The lakes are very pretty plenty of good campsites. The upper lake reminded me of something out of a fairy tale. It’s small with a tiny island and a single funny looking tree. We stayed the night and made it back in 4.5 hours. Overall it’s a really nice hike!

My favorite place. Easy hike from shake camp along the Tule river, lots of water. The trail crosses the river maybe three times, The last three miles is up, after the switch backs there is summit lake. After catching Brook trout and turning in for the night we wake up and head out over sheep mountain, up then down to twin lakes, after a nice break its Maggie. Maggie is awesome, three lakes to play with, trout fishing is ok. Nights are nice, afternoons are nicer, naps in my hammock was very nice. Bears, deer, coyotes. Scouting the area fishing the creeks below for Golden Trout, then packing out the trail to quaking aspen cause its shorter. The pack station at Balch park, is why the trail to summit lake and Maggie is open, not the Forrest service, there was no trail from twin to Maggie after the fire, I was there and the pack station new where it used to be and made the trail to Maggie. I would also tell you to have them pack you into Maggie in a day, stay longer with extra food, then backpack out and enjoy. Its an easy trip, plenty of water sources, and ok fishing. I would recommend this for first time and seasoned packers all. Depends what time of year, mosquito head net is a must, and I use mosquito wipes, they work ok for a while. I like the pictures here, I saw the rocks I made around my tent in the pics. You must have went after I did, what happened to the big yellow pot with lid? I found it at one of the old camps, brought it to mine, used it to boil water for dishes and clothes and stuff.

Hello, first time using this app, have been on this hike before with a different buddy and loved it. Just one concern does the map take you right to the trail head?

great hike, seemed like we went uphill both ways.
the views at the lake were great and you could see the trout cruzing the banks.
the trail is challenging to follow in a few flaces and theres a lot of down trees to walk over or around.
plenty of water supply along the way

Difficult with a heavy pack but views and the lakes (lower and upper Maggie) were awesome!

Sunday, August 20, 2017

We set up base camp at the 1st creek crossing approximately 1 mile in. Then we ran to Maggie Lakes 8 miles. Did some swimming and fishing with no luck. Ran back and had fire going by 5pm. Weather was perfect and views spectacular. Did another 4 mile run before coming back home.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

First of all, the trail you take is not called Maggie Lakes. You take the summit trail all the way. Wish I knew this in advance because once you get up there, there is no reception and I had to drive back down to Nelsons camp to get figure out what trail I really needed. I used this app and it had me at a completely wrong point so don't rely on the "get me there" coordinates. Go to the summit trail.

This was tough. I was definitely not prepared for the uphill battle. Beautiful scenery and lots of wild flowers and beautiful meadows. However, it is definitely not a horse friendly trail. Having been on a few tough trail rides I give horses a lot of credit. However warning to you would be equine trail enthusiasts, I wouldn't take a horse on this one because there are too many downed trees that don't have a way around and once you reach the lake there isn't anywhere to set up a fence or hobble to allow grazing. I took my dogs on this trip and wish I had gotten booties for them. Careful if you bring a dog to mind their paws. The tree sap causes some real damage between their paw pads. And lastly, make sure to bring plenty of water. There is only a reliable source at the beginning and end. I ran out and had to melt snow as it took me two days to get back instead of one. Again, I'm a little out of shape and my pack over weighted to have made this my first hike of the season, but if you're looking for a challenge and a beautiful vista I would recommend it.

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Parts of the trail were difficult to follow due to snow and winter. We had downloaded the map from AllTrails and had no problem finding our way. I would highly recommend downloading the map before you go.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Round trip in one night with my wife. We should have spent two nights. Took us about 12 hrs each way. Beautiful but rugged on the downhill. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Completed this in July of 2015.

Tuesday, January 03, 2017

Great hike well maintained the first steam is the only reliable one till the lake, amazing vistas and meadows with flowers of ever color

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

awesome and somewhat tough hike. did some fishing but didn't catch anything. the person camping next to me did tho

Monday, August 01, 2016

We did the entire 18.1 mile trail in one day. Did it in 5:35 hrs of moving time but we stopped and enjoyed the scenery. Beautiful!!!!

Thursday, August 06, 2015

Awesome hike!!!! Lots of beautiful views especially on top of the summit. We used the summit trailhead to get to the lakes. I really enjoyed this hike because it challenged me physically. It's the longest hike I have ever done and I can't wait to go back. Defiantly put this trail on your to do list.

Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Went out to Maggie Lakes with my girlfriend, Cheryl, and dog for an extended weekend and was the best trip we have been on to date. We live in San Diego and don't get too many opportunities to see the big trees and mountains, so it was well worth the 6 hour drive up. We went in August, so it was pretty hot on top of it already being a severe drought year and we were excited to see a "real" lake that hadn't completely dried up yet. The lakes were amazing and there were a good amount of trout biting in the second lake up the hill from our campsite. The third, and largest, lake was completely absent of any other people, so we had a great time fishing, sunning, swimming, and playing with the dog in the cold alpine water.
The area around the lakes is magnificent and I recommend exploring off the beaten path a bit. We didn't have a GPS or anything, just our compass, map, and a general idea of the landscape and we were completely fine getting around and even found an old hunting and fishing camp that had been in the same family for over a hundred years! We met the owners while out exploring and they were incredibly nice, they even gave us some special bait for the trout (who were not being very cooperative up to that point). When we got back Cheryl was super excited to try her luck with the "special" bate so she and the dog went fishing while I tried my luck at Maggie Mountain which had been mocking me all weekend from our campsite....Turned out to be one of the highlights of my weekend! If you have experience scrambling and feel confident soloing without any safety lines I say "go for it!" There were a few areas I couldn't spot and ended up having to retrace my steps (an action I do NOT recommend), but overall it was a fairly moderate rock scramble until the last 100 feet where there were some pretty sketchy traverses and a few straight-up jumps over a gap from one rock to another where you had to grab on or fall down a pretty nasty drop onto a rock slide. But, when I got to the top I saw one of the most beautiful views in my life of Golden Trout Wilderness and into Sequoia National Park. When I came down Cheryl had caught us few keepers and we had an amazing trout dinner under the stars.
The next day we packed up camp took one last view of the area and hiked out. We took our time hiking out and stopped a few times at the meadows along the way and played out Cheryl's The Sound of Music dreams while running through the meadows, haha. I can't wait to go back and try our luck fly fishing in the Kern River!

Monday, September 22, 2014

Completed it this weekend as a backpack, spent the night at the northernmost lake. It was a challenge both ways, but doable - slow and steady. I was with a large group (15), it took us 5 hours to get to the lake, then we decided to summit North Maggie Mtn at just over 10K ft. (approx 3.5 rt from camp) Well worth it - the views were epic. Afternoon clouds were rolling in as we got to the summit and we made it about half way back down before the thunderstorm started. .. we cooled off with some rain and hail, and it cleared up shortly after we got back to camp. The weather was perfect this time of year, lake was chilly but invitingly so - and mosquitos were pretty much nonexistent! Couple small creek crossings on the well-maintained trail. Elevation gain at a glance might be deceiving as it's up / down all the way in, it's not a steady ascent of 1500 ft over 9 miles. But there's lots of shade on the hike, which was appreciated on the way in and out. Overall, a really great weekend backpacking experience, if i had one more day out there, it would have been nearly perfect. Highly recommended if you want a challenging overnighter, close to LA area - but far enough to feel like you're really getting away.

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Hiked this trail in July 2013 and weather was great. Mosquitos weren't a big problem. Going up the total ascent ascent is actually 3700' with about a 2900' descent. Based on my tracker the total length is 22.5 miles.

Monday, January 13, 2014

Great trail!!!

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Maggie Lakes is nice, but, a bit of a hike for some. It is beautiful. About one mile short of the lake is a nice stream where you can camp. Supplies were once flown into the A-frame about a half-mile up the road to the north, but, I think the B&B went out of business. There are hungry rainbow trout in the Lakes. Be careful of false banks in the back near the fallen trees. You can fall through into 5 feet of very cold water, if you step off the log. Note: If you don't want to hike that far, Mowery Meadow is nice. You can hike down the hill to the creek and catch small golden trout in pools as small as a few feet across.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012

This is a good well maintained trail. After the big snow year last year where it took down alot of trees those have been all cleared away. Its 9 miles one way to the lakes and it is a beautiful spot to camp and fish and there are peaks to bag in the area also.

Sunday, July 30, 2017