Lyons Ranch Trail

Lyons Ranch Trail is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Waseck, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Chilula, Hupa, and Yurok Indians sustained themselves on these grassy hillsides for thousands of years. They deliberately burned the oak woodlands to enhance the growth of acorns, berries, and grasses that they used for food, baskets, netting, and string. When settlers moved into the area, they established sheep ranches, where prize-winning flocks thrived on grasses created by the Indians’ prescribed burns. Jonathan Lyons, who married Hupa Indian Amelia Misket, adopted many of her family’s practices and used them to improve his large ranching operation.

Really enjoyed the panoramic views of the trail mostly in a prairie. Getting over a calf sprain (3x in 3 months), achilles tear (10x in 2 yrs) on the opposite leg this time but usually on the other and the recently acquired Bell's Palsley which has 1/2 of my face paralyzed so I did some relatively flat trails today. The area has an awesome amount of elk, deer, coyotes, mountain lions and a few bears by all the sign and tracks I saw on the trail after the recent rains. The only human tracks I saw on the trail were my own. Lyons Ranch and the structures were incredible... Makes you wonder what it was like back in the day. Definitely worth seeing...

Fantastic trail for scenery. Path is a dirt road and is easy in that respect. We detoured to make a better loop of it and ended up climbing straight up about a 500' elevation in long grass, which I don't recommend. Otherwise we had a great time exploring.