Pyramid Peak Trail is a 9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Twin Bridges, California that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 9.0 miles Elevation Gain: 4,045 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I carried snowshoes and put them on once the trail turned to mostly snow. On the way up the snow was a little firm still, but on the way down it was very soft and I would have post-holed constantly without the snowshoes. The creek crossing was easy on the way up by hopping rock-to-rock, but on the way back down a couple of the rocks were underwater. So yeah, your feet get wet on the hike right now. The final boulder scramble was completely dry and super fun. The views, as always, are fantastic. The best in Desolation Wilderness!

This is my favorite peak in Tahoe yet also the most difficult (that I’ve done so far). Although very challenging, the views are amazing. Summited May 26, 2020- still a decent amount of snow but there are footprints to follow, so as long as you avoid the icy times and the post-holing times, you’ll be fine. There’s also a creek crossing that I couldn’t find a good crossing for so I had to walk through knee deep water but my shoes would’ve gotten wet with the snow higher up anyway so I’d suggest waterproof shoes or be prepared to get wet.

Hiked it Sunday 05/24/2020. No snowshoes, and summitted fine. Lots of postholing on the way down. Creek crossing was shallow, and underneath the stepping rocks in the morning. Some of the same rocks were submerged by maybe an inch or two in the afternoon. I brought 4 liters of water, and drank 2.5 liters by the time I finished. Could have hydrated more and drank all 4 liters, but I was distracted with photography and helping someone carry their bag.

Fun but tough. The first mile from the trailhead you are climbing at a pretty strong rate. After that it levels out a little but it is a leg burner. From a little over a mile up, there is snow all the way to the summit. We did not use snowshoes, crampons or poles and didn’t have any issues. The trail was pretty easy to find most of the way. The boulders at the top are a little sketchy right now because snow is melting and making them slick in some places. Went on a Thursday and saw 4 other people. It was a lot of fun.

the trail is hard to follow so use the app. rattlesnake almost bit me on the beginning of the trail. poles and boots recommend do to the snow.

This is a great hike for those in good shape looking for a rewarding cardio challenge. There is no easing into a warm up, as the climb starts right at the trailhead! VERY sketchy snow bridge across stream(s) as temperatures climb. Wisely turned back as we were post-holing in the snow field (we had trail crampons, but we were not equipped with snowshoes) just above the stream crossing. Live to hit Rocky Creek (one of my favorite trails) another day! It is opportunities like this that show me what equipment I need and why. Edit: parked at highway 50 electronic road sign just west of Twin Bridges (about half down unmarked spaces). Walked about 220 paces East on 50 shoulder to a storm drain. Trailhead easiest start right there (not marked).

Definitely a LEG day, but with amazing views and well worth it.

This was a really steep trail. Im in pretty good shape (could do a 10k without crying) and I was taking breaks once every 10 minutes. I only went up 1000 ft. The trail was tough but not technical. I recommend a pair of gloves for the decent so you can buttslide on the steeper parts. Poles would be smart as would crampons. It's a heck of a workout.

Ice about a quarter mile into the trail. Crampons and Ice axe needed. Snow bridge across stream is sketchy so be careful crossing it.

Great hike, I did this after Tallac so it kind of dominated me, but it was worth it. I decided to go through the boulders which rocked!

Hardest hike I’ve ever done, views were worth it. It felt good to say look what I’ve accomplished. Will I do it again? No. But I’m really happy I did it. Trail was well kept and there was a trail the whole time besides the top when you have to climb on boulders to the summit. Finding the trail head was a bit difficult. But If you look on the map on AllTrails you should be fine. Saw only 3 other hiking groups. Hard going up hard going down (because it’s so steep) I fell three times and I had hiking shoes and hiking poles. I would highly recommend hiking poles.

Now that I’m recovered I can give my review. This is 6 days following the hike of the Pyramid and it’s my first “sore free” day. This one got me. In its defense I wasn’t ready for it. It was painful, uphill the entire time, and I actually considered not summiting as I approached. I am not in terrible shape- I bagged a good 5 moderate hikes just prior to this but a few more squeezed in would have paid off comfort wise. 3 L water. The summit- by the way- was worth it. No wind, 60 degrees or so it felt... and some aerial looking views with the elevation and the low water in the lakes. So ultimately, yes, worth it. But be ready. We did it in 8 hrs, 6.5 hrs moving time.

This is tough. If there was an ‘extra difficult’ rating I’d give it that. It’s relentlessly steep all the way up, and all the way back down, and involves 4000’ total climb. The last few hundred metres to the top are scrambling through a boulder field. Fortunately, the view from the top is absolutely incredible and makes all the effort worthwhile.

Wonderful HARD hike. Two of us in good shape (I had just completed the 16.6 mile Grand Canyon rim-to-river-to-rim in a day, for reference) took 7.5 hours to go up and down, granted with diversions from the trail and many breaks. It is, indeed, only 7.5 miles for the main hike. The lake photos you see are if you decide to go off-trail and take the extra 1.5 mile or so to get to them. There is lots of green and running streams that is not apparent in all the summit pictures. The final ascent is a scramble which is also FUN but requires some sure-footedness. Strongly recommend; would do again.

Perfect conditions. No snow on trail and no bugs. T-shirt weather the whole way up. 4.5 hours total (including breaks). About 2 up and 2 down. ~7.5 miles car-summit-car. Get it before winter comes!

Hiked Pyramid Peak for the first time on Oct. 1, which also happens to be my birthday! We lucked out and had the trail and summit almost entirely to ourselves. We only encountered one other hiker who summited a few minutes after we did. The snow from the weekend made the rock scramble at the top a little more of an adventure, but the views were well worth the work. With snow on the trail I would definitely recommend taking GPA/map tracks to stay on the route. Overall, the hike was pretty strenuous, but not as hard as I expected.

Did in about 3 hours scrambling/trail running. Great view from the top of Lake Tahoe and a few of the smaller mountain lakes.

Great hike! “Leg day” for sure. The trailhead maybe hard to spot as it’s a single track right across the freeway from the parking spot. It’s all uphill from here. The map on the app helps and when in doubt as to where the trail is always stop and look at your map and look for those blessed trail cairns. The scramble to the top is just that. It’s always windy and wind breaks provide shelter. Views for days! Totally worth it now go ahead and add it to your list-

Car to car, solo, 4 hours with a lunch break. Steep and demanding at first, the middle is very scenic and much more moderate, enjoy it! The last section, when the trees start to thin; is equally as demanding as the first part, but not harder. Take care to stay on the highest point of the ridge for the easiest summit line.