Lyons Creek Trail

Lyons Creek Trail is a 12.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pollock Pines, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until August. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 12.3 miles Elevation Gain: 2,286 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Pretty nice trail. It was cold in the morning and lots of smoke today. Completed this trail in four hours with a decent pace. The swim holes are cool and lots of places to catch some rays. The trail was pretty wooded so the scenic view were limited to the later part of the trail.

A great beginner backpacking trip. Pretty easy hike except for the last .5 mile before Lyons Lake. Overall, the hike was mostly shady with gorgeous swimming holes, lush meadows & trees. Some parts can be rocky especially 3-4 miles into the hike. I wish the wind let up so I could of taken a dip into beautiful Lyons Lake! The wind was brutal in the evening & throughout the night, but overall a gorgeous trail & lake that I would highly recommend for the outdoor enthusiast.

Great shade for the dogs almost the entirety of the trail to Lyons, not too difficult. It was pretty frosty the first morning so bring layers!! There is Plenty of water for the dogs along the way, and the lake was beautifully clear..... and I even saw fish feeding as the sun went down!!! Seems to be a pretty popular location, but luckily people didn’t show up until well after 2 in the afternoon so I had the whole lake to myself for a few hours after arriving! I will absolutely be going again because it’s so close to home and amazing views. Remember to get desolation permit ahead of time online.

Took my son to Sylvia for two nights. it was great! Not to hard of a hike in, getting up to pyramid peek from there is a challenge, didn't quite get to the peak but made it to the ridge. Beautiful views from there, bet the ones from the from the top would be amazing.

Just did this as a mellow overnight with my dogs and partner! Printed out the permit Friday and hit the trail early Saturday morning. Only went to Lyons Lake to keep things chill. I would rate this as an easy backpack even if you were to do both Sylvia and Lyons. It’s a pretty mellow hike until the short climb up to the lakes with Lyons I think being steeper. A couple swimming holes in Lyons Creek along the way as well as wildflowers. The campsites at Lyons were nice and spread out with a good view of the lake. No mosquitoes at all probably because it was a bit windy and got chilly at night.

We did this as an overnight backpacking trip with our dog over Labor Day weekend 2019. We skipped Sylvia Lake and went straight to Lyons, making it just 5 miles there, 10 miles total. Gorgeous trail. First 3 miles are mostly in shaded wooded area, dirt trail along creek, gentle incline, nice breeze. Good swim hole exactly 1 mile in. Creek crossing was very easy. Rocks to step on. Our dog is afraid of water but was able to cross by herself. Last two miles up to the lake start more of a climb, and becomes more rocky. Final half mile is a super steep approach—fine for a day hike but was definitely challenging with back packing gear and full sun! But views back are worth it though and on return hike down! Found a great camp spot overlooking the lake. Good swimming (cold), but nice clear water. Perfect little route for a low-mileage overnight! Some mosquitos along first miles, but none at Lyons.

The creek runs along the trail during the first third of the route. There are some places to safely take a dip in the cold water (assuming it’s not after a rain and the snow at the top has been melted for a while; you probably wouldn’t want to be there in a deluge).

Great trail with my 6 yr old. Made it about 2.75 miles in. Flowers abundant with butterflies and grasshoppers.

Super fun. Great views. You can run most of it. Lots of water. Great views.

Beautiful hike! Wildflowers & Butterflies still vibrant. Wear bug protection. Views. Amazing Lake!

We were going to do Mt. Price, Aggasiz, and pyramid peak. We did the first two then dropped off the ridge back to the trail. We had an early start and the weather was awesome. The crystal range is one of my favorite places to head to in Lake Tahoe. If you looking for a route for price and aggasiz you can look at my map. If you want to continue up to pyramid just follow the ridge. There is some scrambling.

good hike. last stretch get a little steep. fishing poor

This is a beautiful trail. Great views, alot of butterflies to enjoy. We hiked to Sylvia. I could have sat there all day and enjoyed the beauty around. There are mosquitos, however, I sprayed my clothes with promethean (spelling) and had no problems with the mosquitos. Enjoy....all that hike this trail. This is day 1of 5 hikes. Off to Mount Ralston tomorrow.

ended up going to sylvia and lyons lakes only. mosquitos were eating us alive from start to sylvia. none at lyons though. snows not a prob

The trail is good, still some snow on the trail at lake sylvia on 7/27/19. The climb to Lyons lake is a calorie burner! caught 0 fish at lyons and caught a bunch in sylvia.

My BF and I enjoyed this hike. It's best to arrive before 9 or 10 am to get parking on the weekend. At the top, going to Silvia Lake, we had to cross a couple of creeks (I had to go in to cross two of them --squish squish) and due to the snow some of the trails were confusing but we found the lake. Overall, we had a wonderful time following the creeks with wild flowers blooming along the paths.

beautiful day for a hike. left trlhd at about 10:30am. plenty of parking. first few miles are beautiful, green, lush, flowers with Lyons Creek roaring off to our left. Plenty of shade, totally mellow climbing grade (almost flat). several places on the creek that you can get to wonderful slip rock formations and pools for snack breaks. no significant snow on the first 3-4 miles of trail.. finally about 3-4 miles in, you have to cross Lyons Cr. it was probably about 8' wide, we could find no rock crossing, had to take boots off and used hiking poles to wade across. After that smooth sailing again, took the trail to Lyons. Much steeper and more exposed, but the climb is maybe just over 1/2 mile. Lake is well worth climb, beautiful cirque lake. The views from the trail up to Lyons are fabulous! Had late lunch on lake shore and hiked back to the junction. Tried to get over to Sylvia, but more snow, and another Lyons creek crossing, which we were unwilling to do. There is still lots of run off going on up here, but the sounds of rushing water are so nice to hear in the Sierras again! long, beautiful hike back down, boots off at Lyons, then back down to the trailhead. sorry for mile estimates, my AllTrails download failed...?

I have always passed this hike up in favor of the lakes off of Rockbound and Twin Lakes trailheads, but this is a gem. Lovely hike up, and the lake is a stunner. Some snow on the trail, but not much. There's a boots-on crossing of Lyons Creek possible on logs and rocks a little south of where the main trail crosses the creek. Many of the flat tent spots on the west side of the lake are still soggy. Hiked up and peeked over at Grouse/Hemlock/Smith on the other side.

I did the trail 7/11/19. It is in good condition. Some snow drifts remaining above 7500’ but not bad at all. Only a few patches on the trail The trail is almost completely dry. Some water still draining on the trail but negotiated. A few seasonal creeks crossing the trail, easily crossed

We attempted this hike on 6/18/19. We were able to drive down wrights lake road till we hit snow blocking the roadway that kept us out in our ford focus, a 4x4 would have no issues. Access to the trail head was close, less then a quarter mile on the road. we walked in about 3 miles untill we decided to turn back due to snow coverage on the trail. due to the high temperatures we have been having the snow should be melting of by mid July.

Tough, long hike in the snow but very much glad I did it. Trail completely covered in snow after first 1 1/2 miles. If there is no snow on the trail it is like a stream with flowing water. Be sure to wear waterproof boots or you will be miserable as entire valley is saturated. Be careful with your footing as there are numerous water crossings covered with delicate snow snow bridges. Wright’s Lake Road impassable about 1/4 mile from trailhead. Wild flowers just poking up out of the ground and will be beautiful very soon.

Lyons Creek Trail to Lyons Lake still 80% covered in snow as of 06/14/19. No need for snow shoes nor crampons, but it’s definitely a slog up to the lake. Worth it.

This trail is great! My group hiked it to Lake Sylvia and back (this was in July 2018). It’s a pretty gradual incline the whole way, so I wouldn’t say it’s strenuous (only in a few parts with somewhat steeper incline) but it is long. I clocked about 13 miles round trip. Lake Sylvia, however, is SO worth it. I don’t think I’ve seen a more pristine, beautiful lake. We would have stayed longer while we were eating our lunch, but it was freezing at the top! Still, it was worth it. I would definitely do it again. Make sure you bring $5 per group to pay the fee for the permit because you will be crossing over into desolation wilderness.