Lyons Creek Trail is a 19.8 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Pollock Pines, California that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, and backpacking and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 19.8 km Elevation Gain: 697 m Route Type: Out & Back

Don’t follow our trail, we got off trail (not the only one though), finally found the trail again or should I say stream & then snow. Couldn’t find a way across the river to get to Lyons Lake & we were only about .5 miles from it. Maybe in a couple weeks the river will be low enough to cross.

flooded

Yesterday the trail was mostly a virtual creek. Water was 1-3” deep. Snow was pretty deep in many places. Turned back before wilderness boundary because of post holing in deep snow. I’d wait a few more weeks.

Up to the Wilderness Boundary, the trail was basically a creek with some patches of snow. After the Wilderness Boundary, there was some dry trail areas through the boulders but then it became deep snow. I snowshoed to where the trail crosses Lyons Creek (just before the split) but I could not find a safe place to cross the creek. There is SO much water flowing. In the summer/fall, no problem. But today it was crazy. My goal was to get to Sylvia Lake and check out the routes to the base of Pyramid Peak. As you can see on the recording, I went up and down looking for a crossing but couldn't find one. So I had to turn around. It was a beautiful day and the snowshoeing was fantastic. If you go on this trail right now, your feet will get wet for sure!

icy

trail was either a mudflow, stream, melty snow hills, or rocky. 92 in Sacramento, and 72 up there, so it felt good to sink our legs on every 4th step into the snow, until it didn't anymore. Few, if anyone, made it to the end of this hike today.

It was my first time doing this trail yesterday. It was challenging due to the melting unstable snow. We had to go through a lot of dry shrubs and more than knee deep snow. I imagine it's not gonna be as hard when the snow is gone. But right now the little creek to the right of the Lyons Creek is your thail. Grab a walking pole, it will help you through the snow and the streams. We didn't make it to the lake. Will be back soon.

icy

The hike to scenic Lyons lake is popular and rewarding, but going off trail above and beyond the lake adds a new level of adventure and views. The weather was ideal for our early November hike to Lyons. Our goal for the day was to explore the area above the lake to determine the best route up to the adjacent Crystal Range peaks, Mt. Price and Mt. Agassiz. The Lyons Lake route is one of the three or four ways to reach those remote summits, but the trip beyond Lyons is rugged off trail that requires route finding. From the lake, we decided to take the path of least resistance, a less steep climb to the west. After bouldering up without too much difficulty for about for 15 minutes to 8750’, we realized the need to swing hard back to the northeast to avoid difficult terrain above and also get back on track towards the summits. We traversed the slope without changing elevation at a very careful pace for about 30 minutes until we reached a point that was almost directly north above the lake. From there, still at about 8750’, we saw to the northeast a route that passed above the Lyons Lake bowl to the higher drainage that leads farther up towards the peaks. From that drainage, I know the route to Price/Agassiz well from having passed through there on two previous summit trips via the Smith Lake route. For the present, though, we were content to enjoy the gorgeous windless day and incredible views and high Sierra ruggedness. From there, we returned straight back to the lake with the knowledge that a direct route to our day’s terminus is both very doable and the best way to proceed above Lyons Lake to the peaks. That will be next time.

Super cold early this morning... in the high 20s or low 30s. The trail is empty and we didn't see anyone until when we headed back. It's late in the season for fall colors since the leaves are either brown and completely fall off the trees and bushes. Lyons lake is beautiful and has a thin layer of ice. Such a beautiful lake to relax and have a bite of food.

Pretty nice trail. It was cold in the morning and lots of smoke today. Completed this trail in four hours with a decent pace. The swim holes are cool and lots of places to catch some rays. The trail was pretty wooded so the scenic view were limited to the later part of the trail.

A great beginner backpacking trip. Pretty easy hike except for the last .5 mile before Lyons Lake. Overall, the hike was mostly shady with gorgeous swimming holes, lush meadows & trees. Some parts can be rocky especially 3-4 miles into the hike. I wish the wind let up so I could of taken a dip into beautiful Lyons Lake! The wind was brutal in the evening & throughout the night, but overall a gorgeous trail & lake that I would highly recommend for the outdoor enthusiast.

Great shade for the dogs almost the entirety of the trail to Lyons, not too difficult. It was pretty frosty the first morning so bring layers!! There is Plenty of water for the dogs along the way, and the lake was beautifully clear..... and I even saw fish feeding as the sun went down!!! Seems to be a pretty popular location, but luckily people didn’t show up until well after 2 in the afternoon so I had the whole lake to myself for a few hours after arriving! I will absolutely be going again because it’s so close to home and amazing views. Remember to get desolation permit ahead of time online.

Took my son to Sylvia for two nights. it was great! Not to hard of a hike in, getting up to pyramid peek from there is a challenge, didn't quite get to the peak but made it to the ridge. Beautiful views from there, bet the ones from the from the top would be amazing.

Just did this as a mellow overnight with my dogs and partner! Printed out the permit Friday and hit the trail early Saturday morning. Only went to Lyons Lake to keep things chill. I would rate this as an easy backpack even if you were to do both Sylvia and Lyons. It’s a pretty mellow hike until the short climb up to the lakes with Lyons I think being steeper. A couple swimming holes in Lyons Creek along the way as well as wildflowers. The campsites at Lyons were nice and spread out with a good view of the lake. No mosquitoes at all probably because it was a bit windy and got chilly at night.

We did this as an overnight backpacking trip with our dog over Labor Day weekend 2019. We skipped Sylvia Lake and went straight to Lyons, making it just 5 miles there, 10 miles total. Gorgeous trail. First 3 miles are mostly in shaded wooded area, dirt trail along creek, gentle incline, nice breeze. Good swim hole exactly 1 mile in. Creek crossing was very easy. Rocks to step on. Our dog is afraid of water but was able to cross by herself. Last two miles up to the lake start more of a climb, and becomes more rocky. Final half mile is a super steep approach—fine for a day hike but was definitely challenging with back packing gear and full sun! But views back are worth it though and on return hike down! Found a great camp spot overlooking the lake. Good swimming (cold), but nice clear water. Perfect little route for a low-mileage overnight! Some mosquitos along first miles, but none at Lyons.

The creek runs along the trail during the first third of the route. There are some places to safely take a dip in the cold water (assuming it’s not after a rain and the snow at the top has been melted for a while; you probably wouldn’t want to be there in a deluge).

Great trail with my 6 yr old. Made it about 2.75 miles in. Flowers abundant with butterflies and grasshoppers.

Super fun. Great views. You can run most of it. Lots of water. Great views.