Learn more

Middle Valley and South Valley Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(53)
Lynch Canyon Open Space

Middle Valley and South Valley Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Vallejo, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

Length 3.6 mi Elevation gain 498 ft Route type Loop

Waypoints (2)
Facilities
Contact
Getting There

Creekside Trail, Left at North Loop, Right at Saddle Trail, Left at middle Valley Trail, Right on Lynch Road, Right on Ken Poerner Trail, Left on Saddle Trail, Left at North Loop, Left on Creekside Trail. Little shade, no water, bathroom half way. Not too hilly. Saw cows, blue jays, and gopher snakes.

Now open year-round, Saturdays and Sundays 9am to 5pm. Accessible at other times and dates by signing up for docent-led activities; see http://solanolandtrust.org/CalendarList.aspx . Daily parking fee $5 per vehicle; Annual parking passes available, 707.784.7905. One restroom. No source of drinking water. The prettiest time to visit is when the wildflowers bloom, April to June. To sign up for relatively easy, docent-led hikes to watch the overwintering, migrating, and resident hawks, falcons, eagles, kites, and other raptors, contact Lynch Canyon Docent Mary Beth, mbcrittendon@comcast.net . Lynch Canyon is a significant stop on the Pacific Flyway.

Solano Land Trust, 707.432.0150, http://www.solanolandtrust.org Park Ranger, Solano County Parks, 707.374.2097 Lynch Canyon Trail Run, http://www.lynchcanyontrailrun.com Raptor-watching hikes, Lynch Canyon Docent Mary Beth, mbcrittendon@comcast.net

From Interstate 80, take Hiddenbrooke or Red Top exit. Take McGary Road, the frontage road along the south side of the freeway. Turn (left if from Hiddenbrooke, right if from Red Top) at Lynch Road and pass under the freeway; follow Lynch Road to the park entrance.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (53)
Photos (94)
Recordings (33)
Completed (103)
Lindsay Epperly
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 07 2020
Hiking

This is the perfect trail for you if you really enjoy hiking in cow pastures among herds of cows. Trail itself features a lot of cow patties and potholes. Views are okay.

View Lindsay's Recording
Jaclyn Klieman
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 01 2020
HikingNo shade
View Jaclyn's Recording
DanL .
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 18 2020
Mountain biking

Trails are really bumpy on full suspension MTB. Lots of cows & poo.

Ken Poerner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarWed Mar 18 2020
Bird WatchingMuddy

South Valley Trail is now called the Ken Poerner Trail.

Enes Muftic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat May 04 2019

South Valley Trail was closed few weeks ago

Satinder Singh
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Apr 23 2019

love the view close to home 2 I support local

HikerVonVon Williams
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 01 2018

Great hike. I cannot wait to explore it more.

Christopher Sutterley
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 28 2018
Hiking

Open, Fri, Sat and Sunday, lots of cows, open grassland and hills. High point is the view from the ridge. Distant points that can be seen: Diablo. Sierra's, including Pyramid Peak, Mt. Saint Helena, Mt. Veeder, Mt. Tam. and GG bridge towers, if you know where and when to look. Good intermediate hike. Watch for ticks and respect the cows:)

Leemelvin Gavino
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Aug 08 2017
Hiking

Beware: only open Friday thru Monday 0900-1700, tried to do a hike with my son during the weekday on summer break to come to a closed sign...ugh

ishma jackson

too much horse shit

Ashley Goldsberry
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 14 2017

Went several months back and it was a real mixed bag. On the one hand the location is easy to get to, the views were pretty and it offers a range of options with plenty of hills. On the other hand there were calves easily spooked that charged and created some tense moments. At this time it was also muddy and messy with trails fading in and out. I would go back again, but would do some things differently.

Trisha Reece
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu May 04 2017
Hiking

No dogs allowed. Got to the top of the 1st hill at the beginning and there was a sign that said dogs not allowed. Since when is a trail not acceptable to dogs when horses are able to use it? Myself & my group couldn't complete the hike. Fairly disappointed.

Zander Yepsen
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 15 2017
OHV/Off Road Driving

NO OFF ROAD DRIVING HERE!

E J
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Apr 14 2017

You can make it a much longer hike if wanted. Quiet and beautiful.

Jessica Campbell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Apr 08 2017

Lots of fun, quiet, away from the crowds of more popular trails. Lots of fruit trees and animals

Logic Gate
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Mar 09 2017
OHV/Off Road Driving

Off-road activity prohibited. Petting livestock prohibited. Must pay to park. Staging area has decent outhouse and picnic tables.. 1/5

Jonathan Kinter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jun 27 2016
Mountain biking

I'm a amateur mountain biker ,and i consider the moderate trails great practice to get a feel for the disc brakes.I almost crashed twice .A full suspension bike would've handled this trail better.Not much to look at on the trail.

Lisa Sanders
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Apr 19 2016
Hiking

Even though this page's description describes the Lynch Canyon Open Space as a 3.6 mi loop, there are actually a multitude of trails out here, the largest "loop" is close to 10 miles. Earlier this week (mid April) I hiked the Middle Valley/Prairie Ridge/Kestrel/South Valley trails (around 6.5 mi) and found that at the top of Pine Ridge the trail disappeared into the grass frequently. I suspect that the trails will "reappear" later in the summer after the grasses dry out and more people have walked on the trails. Since you are never really at risk of getting lost out here (find a ridge to climb and you will probably find a trail reappear somewhere below you) losing a trail, or following a fading trail, is a good opportunity to practice your navigation and trail reading skills. Watch your footing--cattle walk on the trails year round and lots of the (now dry) trails are very uneven and hard to walk on. Overall this was a good hike! Amazing views! I will probably do again in the fall.

Denis Waldron
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Dec 22 2015

I hike in this park on a regular basis, and love it. You can can take an easy hike through the valleys, or get a more strenuous work out by hiking up and down over the hills. Sure there is little shade, but the usual breezes keep you cool. Also, there is an excellent panoramic view of the north bay and the Napa Valley. You see few people, so this park is like a little bit of wilderness in my own back yard. I do have 2 minor complaints. Lynch Canyon is only open Friday thru Monday, and it does not open until 9 am.

Paul Lentz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 12 2015
Mountain biking

I have hiked this trail before but this time I decided to ride my bike. Now, I had seen someone ride a road bike last time so I figured it could be done somehow. I am kind of new to biking so I don't claim to be a good mountain or road biker. However, I now do about 20 miles a week. I brought a cyclocross/gravel bike this time but I think a mountain bike is more appropriate for this space. I did about a 5 mile loop from the parking lot, down Lynch Canyon road, and then through the middle valley and south valley trails. There were several sections that were a bit too hard to pedal up and my tires weren't knobby enough for some of the ruts but overall I had a good time. Again, this entire park has almost no shade so wear sunblock and bring a hate no matter what you do. Also, I am not sure if the parking fee just changed but it is now $6 which is overkill to me for just a few hours. Below is a video I did so you can see much of the space.

Hiep Tran
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Apr 14 2015

Nice open meadow but having to avoid mine fields of cow diarrhea, mean cows who'd chase you from the trails and running into garden snake. It was my first time hiking this Canyon and will be my last.

Shawn Webber
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Feb 28 2015
Hiking

Although it was a bit windy, I went ahead and hike the entire perimeter of this trail today. The first couple miles (3) was very pleasant: rolling hill sides and very scenic views. However, the last 6 or so miles wasn't as pleasant, mainly because the path (cow path) was really trodden, which is to be expected when one is hiking in , for all intensive purposes, a cattle pasture. I didn't have any problem dodging cow poo, or even walking around the many cattle frolicking about. I'm merely stating that the "trail" was rough on the feet is all. And speaking of the trail, I think the Park Services need to do a better job of marking it. I saw several people who were lost/turned around. Anyways, I would rate the trail as moderate overall, and would not recommend it to anyone who has week ankles.

Daniel Guerra
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 13 2014
Mountain biking

Went on a Monday. Only 3 other people there. 1 bike 2 hikers. Went on a breezy day. Hot days not recommended. Out of parking lot went left. South valley trail. nice workout on the hills. nice view of hwy 80. Then went past a group of cows. Walked around them did not want to spook them. To middle valley trail. then left to lynch road to the reservoir. Then back to parking lot. Very nice ride if you want a workout and not technical stuff. If you realize this is a working ranch the cow and horse poo is to be expected. share the land folks. several live stock gates on the trails so please secure them after going through. If you like to be alone on a trail and get a workout go here on a Monday if you can. A breezy day helps as well.

Diana Tahamata
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jul 08 2014
Hiking

Super quiet. Didn't run into a single person. Did a 6 mile hike. I feel it was a moderate one. Beautiful views. Only downside is the amount of cow and horse poop on the trails.

Michelle Milner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarWed Apr 09 2014
Running

Visited Lynch Canyon for a trail run this morning (Tuesday, 8 April 2014). The park was closed...it is only open Saturday-Monday. No worries...you can park right outside the gate and hop the gate to gain access to the trails. Note: I don't recommend this as the best course of action. The area outside the gate is a no parking area. While your vehicle is not visible from the road, I am sure the local police patrol the area. Once inside, I grabbed a trail map from the kiosk and took off on a circuit around the park, in this order: Lynch Road to the reservoir (small pond), then up the Tower Trail to the North Ridge Trail, across the Saddle Trail to the Prairie Ridge Trail, left on the Kestrel Trail, right on the South Valley Trail back to the parking lot. All told, about 7.5 miles. The trail is mostly single track and clearly used b horseback riders. In several places the horses have torn up the trail so much I had to stop and walk or risk turning an ankle. Also, the trails were surprisingly wet...small streams running in a few locations and very muddy areas in others. While the park is closed, cows are allowed to wander freely in the area. A few times I had to walk to allow the herds to move off of the trail. One particular momma cow was not happy and briefly charged me. You also need to pay attention to the frequent cow pies and horse poo that litters the area. In a few places the trail disappears and you run cross-country in the general direction you believe the trail to follow. This happened on the Kestrel Trail and the North Ridge Trail. Both times it was fairly easy to figure out. No need to bring a compass or topo map. The trails are well-signed, especially at the trail intersections, but make sure to grab a trail map before you head out. The hills are awesome...good hill workout if you are into that, and the views are pretty cool too. All in all a good run, but only three stars because of the condition of the trail.

J Castro
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Aug 08 2013
Mountain biking

I went there last week and it was closed, it's only open on weekends from 9-5 and I went on a Wednesday. I jumped the gate to take a ride anyways but I only rode around for a bit. They let their cattle loose so I just left and went to Rockville in Fairfield. I also found some sites that says its open daily and that a ranger is there to collect the $5 for parking. When you show up there is a sign asking you to place $5 in a envelope and slip it in a box, so no there is no ranger. The sign also says that if you get hurt out there you're on your own. Even though I jumped the gate I still put my $5 in lol

Kellie Robb
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFri Jun 28 2013
Hiking

This is a great hike! There is so much history here. This area was occupied by Native Americans BC. There is a location of stone tables with grinding holes under a large Oak tree cluster. Many raptors to see. Two Golden Eagles spotted on my last hike. Its nice but very hot in Summer. No shade.

Sandra Wells
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 20 2012
Hiking

I went on this trail twice. The first time I only did the lower, easy part that goes by the resevoir, I think it's called Lynch Road. It is very easy and I just went out to the resevoir to see the cows grazing and came back, about 30 minutes of an easy walk. Nothing special. When I went back the second time I took the Middle Valley trail to the Tower and Northridge Trail. I recommend getting the booklet at the sign in area before entering. It maps out all the trails and make sure you pay attention when crossing by the little signs, that will help you remain on the part of the trail you desire. I'd say it is a moderate trail to hike, so you feel like you are actually getting a workout. It offers a beautiful view, I loved the open feel, it is a nice summer hike both times I went the weather was cool. It's close enough to Vallejo to get the ocean breeze. I'm not sure but I think the water view is of San Pablo Bay nice!! Make sure you leave your dog at home, they are not allowed on this trail. There is a cherry tree and quite a few blackberry bushes growing. I picked a few, delicious! This hike can get very windy, so it might be cooler than you think!

Sarah Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat May 14 2011
Hiking

We did the Lynch Road - North Ridge Trail and looped back on the Middle Valley Trail. The trail itself is pretty wide and well kept on the Lynch Road, Tower, and North Ridge Trails, but we had some difficulties following the Middle Valley Trail back since there was overgrowth. Unfortunately, we took a wrong turn and had to walk through a lot of mud to get back on the trail. I almost lost my shoes a couple times. There happened to be a utility vehicle the was stuck on part of the trail and abandoned. What I really didn't like about the trail was the excessive cow poo everywhere. You spend more time finding your footing around the cow pies than actually being able to look around at the spectacular views. I wouldn't recommend this trail in the late summer since there is no shady areas and can get hot easily. It's green in the spring, but you would need to wait for a good week without rain before hiking. I'm giving it 3 stars only for the views.

Jeffrey Rea
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSat Jun 13 2020
View Jeffrey's Recording