Middle Valley and South Valley Trail

Middle Valley and South Valley Trail is a 3.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Vallejo, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

From Interstate 80, take Hiddenbrooke or Red Top exit. Take McGary Road, the frontage road along the south side of the freeway. Turn (left if from Hiddenbrooke, right if from Red Top) at Lynch Road and pass under the freeway; follow Lynch Road to the park entrance.

Beware: only open Friday thru Monday 0900-1700, tried to do a hike with my son during the weekday on summer break to come to a closed sign...ugh

too much horse shit

Went several months back and it was a real mixed bag. On the one hand the location is easy to get to, the views were pretty and it offers a range of options with plenty of hills. On the other hand there were calves easily spooked that charged and created some tense moments. At this time it was also muddy and messy with trails fading in and out. I would go back again, but would do some things differently.

No dogs allowed. Got to the top of the 1st hill at the beginning and there was a sign that said dogs not allowed. Since when is a trail not acceptable to dogs when horses are able to use it? Myself & my group couldn't complete the hike. Fairly disappointed.

off road driving

NO OFF ROAD DRIVING HERE!

You can make it a much longer hike if wanted. Quiet and beautiful.

Lots of fun, quiet, away from the crowds of more popular trails. Lots of fruit trees and animals

off road driving

Off-road activity prohibited. Petting livestock prohibited. Must pay to park. Staging area has decent outhouse and picnic tables.. 1/5

Monday, June 27, 2016

I'm a amateur mountain biker ,and i consider the moderate trails great practice to get a feel for the disc brakes.I almost crashed twice .A full suspension bike would've handled this trail better.Not much to look at on the trail.

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Even though this page's description describes the Lynch Canyon Open Space as a 3.6 mi loop, there are actually a multitude of trails out here, the largest "loop" is close to 10 miles. Earlier this week (mid April) I hiked the Middle Valley/Prairie Ridge/Kestrel/South Valley trails (around 6.5 mi) and found that at the top of Pine Ridge the trail disappeared into the grass frequently. I suspect that the trails will "reappear" later in the summer after the grasses dry out and more people have walked on the trails. Since you are never really at risk of getting lost out here (find a ridge to climb and you will probably find a trail reappear somewhere below you) losing a trail, or following a fading trail, is a good opportunity to practice your navigation and trail reading skills. Watch your footing--cattle walk on the trails year round and lots of the (now dry) trails are very uneven and hard to walk on. Overall this was a good hike! Amazing views! I will probably do again in the fall.

Tuesday, December 22, 2015

I hike in this park on a regular basis, and love it. You can can take an easy hike through the valleys, or get a more strenuous work out by hiking up and down over the hills. Sure there is little shade, but the usual breezes keep you cool. Also, there is an excellent panoramic view of the north bay and the Napa Valley. You see few people, so this park is like a little bit of wilderness in my own back yard. I do have 2 minor complaints. Lynch Canyon is only open Friday thru Monday, and it does not open until 9 am.

Sunday, July 12, 2015

I have hiked this trail before but this time I decided to ride my bike. Now, I had seen someone ride a road bike last time so I figured it could be done somehow. I am kind of new to biking so I don't claim to be a good mountain or road biker. However, I now do about 20 miles a week.
I brought a cyclocross/gravel bike this time but I think a mountain bike is more appropriate for this space. I did about a 5 mile loop from the parking lot, down Lynch Canyon road, and then through the middle valley and south valley trails. There were several sections that were a bit too hard to pedal up and my tires weren't knobby enough for some of the ruts but overall I had a good time.
Again, this entire park has almost no shade so wear sunblock and bring a hate no matter what you do.
Also, I am not sure if the parking fee just changed but it is now $6 which is overkill to me for just a few hours. Below is a video I did so you can see much of the space.

Friday, April 24, 2015

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Nice open meadow but having to avoid mine fields of cow diarrhea, mean cows who'd chase you from the trails and running into garden snake. It was my first time hiking this Canyon and will be my last.