Lunada Canyon Trail

Lunada Canyon Trail is a 2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rancho Palos Verdes, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Went at sunset with the dogs and loved being the only people there. Some areas were secluded and I'd forget I was in the middle of a bunch of neighborhoods, but a few parts smelled like sewage so I remembered where I was again...

It's a little steep going up but manageable for a mildly in shape person like me.

Good for dogs, but careful of burrs and cactus (and dead animals).

I parked on the side road at the very top beside the house with the wall. Not worried about being towed or ticketed.

This hike isn't really a hike, nor is it very scenic considering the area where it's at. It's largely overgrown with dead weeds nowadays, and is mostly a stroll with the exception of a short steep part as mentioned by others.

Awesome...forgot to hit record from the beginning but I went from residential area to the end where the house begin again. The huge hill on the way back was awesome but pretty difficult. Definitely recommend if you want a quick hike that makes you sweat. Some good distant ocean views as well.

I liked this little trail, and I mean little. It was foggy, quiet, you could hear piano playing. Parts of it were fragrant, lots of birds, I had the trail to myself. There is one intense climb, that makes this one moderate, but it is worth it.

good clear trail .... down hill to edge.

Friday, July 08, 2016

This trail is more for a work out than a hike. The views of the ocean are nice, but the trail is pretty short. The trailhead starts from a residential dead end and like the Del Cerro trails, this trail is the type where it's just a stroll in the beginning and you suffer last with the uphill. Overall this trail is easy. However, there is one section of the trail where there is a very steep drop off. It was a little unexpected since the majority of the trail has a very gentle grade, but this specific section would probably make this trail moderate in difficulty. I had to take baby steps to go down, and going up was quite scary too since it was so steep. I thought it was steeper than the Rim Trail at nearby Del Cerro. However, this part is really short so once you pass this section, everything else shouldn't be too bad. You do have to pass the sewer several times so the smell was a bit disturbing when passing. If you go beyond the trailhead and continue along the residential streets to Hesse Park, you can make a nice uphill training course.