Bald Mountain Trail

Bald Mountain Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kenwood, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.1 miles Elevation Gain: 1,528 feet Route Type: Out & Back

partially paved

Sugarloaf Ridge State Park was established in 1962, but the area has a rich history and indigenous tribes had lived in the Sonoma Valley for more than 12,000 years.

This hike is beautiful! If you are going on a weekend, make sure to be there at sunrise. You can see the hot air balloon launching as you hike up the mountain.

This was a great hike - followed a gravel trail the first half up that was shaded, then onto the paved trail for the final ascent. View from the top was stunning! It’s a butt burner for sure on the way up though - and definitely bring your sunscreen! Our GPS tracker said the trail was 6.4 miles though, not 5.1

This was an awesome hike. The park has a pamphlet at the check in station outlining some of the routes that I would definitely recommend using. I hiked from the family campsites up to Bald Mountain, and then came down the back way (can’t remember the trail name). I got the top at about 7:00 am, and it was unbelievably beautiful. The fog had just settled in below me, so it was mostly other peaks that I could see. Some of the trails were muddy in a few places, but that’s to be expected. Not tons of shade depending on your route, but would absolutely recommend.

started from adobe canyon road. gorgeous in january

Great hike! The view at the top is fantastic! I would not attempt to hike this trial past June, it’s very exposed. Other than that it’s a great hike.

Great, challenging winter and spring hike. summer, can be pretty hot and exposed, so go early AM. Great views at the top. You can see the Golden Gate, SF Mt. Diablo,, Cobb, Mt. St. Helena.

Great trail for a quick and easy run! Starts off with a few minor switchbacks on a shaded single track, leading onto a paved fire trail for a majority of the ascent. The last quarter mile or so is a decent climb on double track until you reach your amazing view. Easy hills the entire time allow for a constant pace. Well worth the views and you will likely pass a group or two

Wed Nov 14 2018

Easy trail even a non hiker can handle this one, it’s on a paved fire road almost the entire way

Tue Sep 18 2018

I’m partial to natural dirt trails and this park is mostly paved road which is why I gave it 2 stars. With so many other choices in Sonoma County I don’t think I’d visit this trail again. Solely my preference.

Sun Jul 29 2018

Really nice hike and would’ve gotten five stars except for much of the trail is a paved road. Ordinarily views are great but we are experiencing a lot of smoke from the fires to the north

Sun Jun 03 2018

Did 8-mi loop: Loved the experience! I went with two of my friends. We intended to do the 5.1-mile loop, but ended up taking the longer route (7.9-mile: returning via Gray Pine trail) instead. Though the return path was unpaved, steep at times, long and rough, we did it! I feel so accomplished. I would definitely recommend this to anyone with some hiking experience. Please grab the map at the park and go through the list of trails with descriptions given - very handy. Breathtaking views from the top!

Sun May 13 2018

Great hike for all ages

Sun Apr 29 2018

This trail was alot of fun. It's a good challenge and the view from the top was totally worth it. Can be very windy.

Mon Apr 16 2018

Incredible view across the width of the state!

Wed Apr 11 2018

A spectacular and recently improved trail: better than before the fires. Untouched hillsides alternate with moonscapes of severe fire damage. Amazing wildflowers shoot up out of blackened earth amid the still- present odor of burned vegetation. The views from the top have been improved by replacement of informational signs which were faded and damaged over the years. Nice new bench on top. A good hike when other parks’ trails are muddy as most of this trail is paved. In the past we have seen flocks of wild turkeys. Also rattlers—-be careful!

Mon Feb 19 2018

Hands down, Bald Mountain has the best views in the county! We came up Stern Trail to Bald Mountain Trail (all fire roads), then stopped for a picnic lunch at the top of Bald Mountain. It was a crystal clear day, and we could see south to all the Bay Area land marks...Mt Tam, the Transamerica building in SF, Mt Diablo, and beyond, and north east to St Helena, Mt St Helena, and Cobb Mountain. To the west we could see all the way out to the coast. We came down Grey Pine Trail, which was much more rutted and rolling, with very steep areas and loose gravel. More beautiful views, but a strenuous decent in areas. This was 4.5 months after the fires, and while some areas are totally devastated, a lot of the park survived and many burn areas are showing signs of life. A few trails are still closed to the public, and the ones that are open wind through completely burnt out areas followed by untouched areas. It’s eerie. Looking across the valley to Hood Mountain was depressing. That park was hit hard with large swaths of redwood forest totally burnt. The volunteer at Sugarloaf told us the restoration work hasn’t even begun at Hood. It will be a long before Sugarloaf looks like it used to, but it’s still gorgeous and worth the trip.

Sat Sep 02 2017

Nice quiet park and campground. Spent 2 days hiking. Dogs are allowed in the campground and on the asphalt roads on a leach.

Sun Aug 20 2017

Very nice trail, challenging without it being impossible for beginners

Thu Jul 06 2017

Tue May 30 2017

Coming up Bald Mountain I was kind of bummed out because I didn't find the hike to be that pretty but when I got up to the top I realized that there were other paths to take. First, the view from the top of Bald Mountain are pretty amazing. I decided to go down Old Red Barn trail which is a good descent to a cool end of the trail and then a good climb back up. Once I got up top, I took Gray Plain trail down, met with Red Men. Trail, then Headwaters Trail and then Vista Trail. There were so many variations of trees, vegetation, scenery, little animals, creeks and views. The best was on Vista where there are two large rocks that you climb on and sit and look at the entire valley. Then I met Bald Mountain and took it back to the parking lot. All in all, great hike, 12 miles. I will do it again going up the way I came down. Best hike I have been on in Sonoma County!

Sat Feb 25 2017

nice views and easy to follow

Wed Feb 15 2017

Moderately strenuous with amazing panoramic views stretching from the golden gate to the sierras. Well marked trail and easy access. Go do it!

Tue Jan 31 2017

Great 360 views. San Francisco to the South, Snow Mountain North, Sierra's to the East.

Sun Nov 06 2016

family day hike , it was fantastic for kids

Fri Jul 01 2016

Went all the way to the top of Bald Mountain for spectacular view

Mon May 30 2016

Well marked trails. Making the full loop up to Bald Mountain and the 360* view is worth the time!