Bald Mountain Trail

Bald Mountain Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Kenwood, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Hands down, Bald Mountain has the best views in the county! We came up Stern Trail to Bald Mountain Trail (all fire roads), then stopped for a picnic lunch at the top of Bald Mountain. It was a crystal clear day, and we could see south to all the Bay Area land marks...Mt Tam, the Transamerica building in SF, Mt Diablo, and beyond, and north east to St Helena, Mt St Helena, and Cobb Mountain. To the west we could see all the way out to the coast. We came down Grey Pine Trail, which was much more rutted and rolling, with very steep areas and loose gravel. More beautiful views, but a strenuous decent in areas.
This was 4.5 months after the fires, and while some areas are totally devastated, a lot of the park survived and many burn areas are showing signs of life. A few trails are still closed to the public, and the ones that are open wind through completely burnt out areas followed by untouched areas. It’s eerie.
Looking across the valley to Hood Mountain was depressing. That park was hit hard with large swaths of redwood forest totally burnt. The volunteer at Sugarloaf told us the restoration work hasn’t even begun at Hood.
It will be a long before Sugarloaf looks like it used to, but it’s still gorgeous and worth the trip.

Nice quiet park and campground. Spent 2 days hiking. Dogs are allowed in the campground and on the asphalt roads on a leach.

Very nice trail, challenging without it being impossible for beginners

Coming up Bald Mountain I was kind of bummed out because I didn't find the hike to be that pretty but when I got up to the top I realized that there were other paths to take. First, the view from the top of Bald Mountain are pretty amazing. I decided to go down Old Red Barn trail which is a good descent to a cool end of the trail and then a good climb back up. Once I got up top, I took Gray Plain trail down, met with Red Men. Trail, then Headwaters Trail and then Vista Trail. There were so many variations of trees, vegetation, scenery, little animals, creeks and views. The best was on Vista where there are two large rocks that you climb on and sit and look at the entire valley. Then I met Bald Mountain and took it back to the parking lot. All in all, great hike, 12 miles. I will do it again going up the way I came down. Best hike I have been on in Sonoma County!

nice views and easy to follow

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Moderately strenuous with amazing panoramic views stretching from the golden gate to the sierras. Well marked trail and easy access. Go do it!

Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Great 360 views. San Francisco to the South, Snow Mountain North, Sierra's to the East.

Sunday, November 06, 2016

family day hike , it was fantastic for kids

Friday, July 01, 2016

Went all the way to the top of Bald Mountain for spectacular view

Monday, May 30, 2016

Well marked trails. Making the full loop up to Bald Mountain and the 360* view is worth the time!

recorded Bald Mountain Trail