Loveland Reservoir Trail is a 1.1 mile out and back trail located near Alpine, California that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for walking, nature trips, and fishing and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 1.1 miles Elevation Gain: 144 feet Route Type: Out & Back

This trail is mainly used for fishing access, and the parking lot for Lake access is closed Wednesday/Thursday.

What a hidden gem ! I wouldn’t really consider this a hike though. The path starts to disappear and you have to make your own. Lots of neat little spots to take pics. It is super secluded. I loved it !

1.1 mile hike

Not really a trail but a walking path to the reservoir for fishing. Just over a mile long the walk back is a pretty nice up hill with some steep stairs good for cardio.

Nice walk around the lake. Watch out for snakes !

Sun May 12 2019

Overall this was a nice area. The water is beautiful. You see big sized fish jumping out of the water which is cool. It’s the only trail thus far where there’s not a lot of people. Most people are fishing right as you come in, but if you walk around the bend, it’s solitude.

Tue Jan 15 2019

Love this spot and hope people understand that this isn’t a true hiking trail. If your looking for a workout then your better off walking at the mall.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Came here to check out a new location that I have not been to before. Like others have mentioned it is a path to the reservoir. Overall it was quick and not too difficult. You walk down to the Reservoir and there is a semi-steep decline, but there is also stairs. Once you get to the bottom and almost at the reservoir the path narrows and you can go to the left or the right side of the lake. I was not able to find the crossing to get on the right side, but went to the left and got some great views. This would be a good place to fish (not my thing so I Could be wrong here, they had fishing signs), take some photos, or relax and read a book for a little. There is plenty of parking, but make sure to pay attention to the hours, they do lock the gate overnight.

Thu Oct 11 2018

Different options

Sat Jun 02 2018

This is a pretty little hike that would be great for kids. Also would be nice for folks into bird watching - there were lots of ducks and waterfowl on the pond, and the further east I walked the more I saw. They were very active and vocal. I kept stopping to watch, and I'm not even into birds. There were several guys on the shoreline fishing and I hope I was not scaring the fish away!

Mon Mar 05 2018

This trail was classified as easy. It was all down hill to the lake (elevation change 135 ft) with 92 deep stairs. I did not consider it easy and would not go on this trail again. Also, the sign says no dogs, not even service dogs. No access for disabled.

Wed Jan 31 2018

The walk from the parking lot to the edge of the water is not really a hike but there are some trails that go along side the water. These trails are not well defined and some parts there are no pathways. They are mostly used by people fishing to find the right place to cast their line. There is a great sunrise view on the highest point near the water but I had to hike through a lot of brush to get there

Thu Oct 26 2017

Trail app doesn't tell you the parking lot for Lake access is closed Wednesday/Thursday. the only access to hike down to lake allowed is thru parking lot.

Mon Sep 18 2017

Easy hike down to the reservoir, nice and clean and several places to hang out. hike back up to trailhead is reasonably steep but it's a short distance so even someone who hasn't hiked in a while can make it.

Wed May 03 2017

Easy hike with a nicely maintain trail. Not crowded.

Tue May 24 2016

So beautiful! The flowers are in full bloom and the hike is super easy.

Fri Jul 10 2015

There are some great trails on the other side of this reservoir but unfortunately you have to be from the neighborhood to know where to catch them and pick them up. I have walked them from my house and logged over 8 miles on the trails. Unless you know how to get to the trails on the other side of the reservoir there is no point in hiking this. It's a path for fishing.

Sun Jul 20 2014

The below comments describe the trail adequately. This trail is not designed for hikers. It is an easy walking trail to the resevoir. The other three groups of people we saw were fishing, so I assume it is good for fishing use!

Sun Feb 09 2014

I have to agree with Fabiola on this one. If you want to go fishing its a nice hike to the water. I'd suggest a good pair of waterproof above the ankle hiking boots. I went fishing there in Jan 2014 and there was some standing water I had to go through to get to the shoreline.

Tue Aug 20 2013

Love this place. Its beautiful and relaxing, however this is not for hiking. There are no marked trails and the ground is not firm. If you are there for fishing its awesome. I don't regret going but will not recommend for hiking.

Sat Apr 06 2019