Lost Horse Mine Loop Trail

Lost Horse Mine Loop Trail is a 6.6 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Desert Center, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

Parking is limited.

I did the loop Clockwise...I guess it depends on how much hiking you do. It's all relative. Really not much to see on this hike. Some nice views at about the 3 mile mark but that's it. A little elevation gain over the first 1.5 miles but really not very steep. The the last 2miles (?) are a just plain boring as you trudge across sand (in and out of a wash) with really nothing to see.

The trail is very well marked...took 2:15 to do the loop, I'm generally a faster than average hiker.

My recommendation would be to go past the mine about a mile and then turn back.

Mid June, mid-90s, Breezy, no shade. Bring a couple of liters of water

nice hike with a few steep parts. make sure you bring water as the trail has no shade. once we arrived at the mine we hiked up the hill behind it and the views were amazing! if you dont want to do the full loop you can hike to the mine and back and that is 4 miles. to complete the loop is 6 miles

Easy day hike. A good loop trail for families with children.

A little difficult in the beginning due to it being very uphill, but once you get past the first part, it's a pretty easy hike. It was very windy when we went which was a little more challenging with the cold breeze blowing in our faces. Once we made it to the mine, we stopped and had lunch in an area where there was no wind. A little sad that the mine is gated off, but I understand it's for safety reasons.

This hike was a little rough in the beginning maybe just because I haven't hiked in a while but once you get about halfway through it's just a level path the rest of the way. We had so much fun on this hike and would def do it again. We were able to see a few bighorn sheep and jackrabbits. Bring plenty of water if you plan on doing the full loop, and snacks! The only downside was that the parking lot was on the smaller side so we had to drive all the way back to main road and walk to the start of the trail which added probably another mile to our hike!

Nice hike with good vista views, but we didn't find the horse. I would not classify this as difficult, it was an easy walk with only a few inclines.

We are 30 and in relatively good shape and it took us a little under 2.5 hours.

Hiked it in November was a beautiful sunny day. had to really budget water between the 4 of us, but made out okay. could have benefited from an extra 500-1000ml each, despite it being the cooler season. very scenic! feels remote, deeper you go on the trail (I.e beyond the mine), you see very fewer hikers.