Los Pinetos Waterfall, Ridge: Oak Pass And Los Pinetos Trails [CLOSED]

Los Pinetos Waterfall, Ridge: Oak Pass And Los Pinetos Trails [CLOSED] is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Newhall, California that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

hot springs

closed

Hike to the waterfall is closed for the time being. Placerita Canyon Natural Area received minor fire damage, and park is closed until further notice as of 6/26/17

Easy, quick and beautiful. You can get a quick 30 minute trail hike, I preferably RHike (Run-Hike), and be about your day. The view of Newhall is beautiful.

Saturday, September 02, 2017

trail is still closed. has been for a year

Monday, July 17, 2017

Anyone know if the waterfall re-opened? thanks :)

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

nice trail. Frequented by BSA. Hiked lower portion.

Monday, April 24, 2017

Beautiful hike... ran into a rattle snake hiding in grass... be careful!

Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Hike to the waterfall is closed, very disappointing. Park ranger said maybe will re-open in a month or two. We went counter-clockwise up the Manzania trail for few miles, that was open, but the ranger said we had to come down same way. Several steep hike spots after you hit the firebreak. Nice Views. Nature trail was short, few plants marked. Several birds, turtles and snakes at the nature center. Nice picnic area across the mostly-empty creek. Some construction going on in the area, a turn-off. Avoid until the waterfall trail opens up.

Monday, April 03, 2017

Not much hiking here right now due to flooding from rain. Park ranger explained that they have closed off the main hiking trail due to dangers of precarious boulders they anticipate can come down at any time. He directed me to Elsmere Canyon.

Sunday, April 02, 2017

Excellent hike. We started out at the Nature Center. I highly recommend doing the loop counter clockwise to hit the hardest section at the beginning. Steep steady incline for the first ~3 miles, then down through a lovely oak forest until we hit Walker Ranch (5mi) with much-needed water fountains and port-a-potties. Back to the Nature Center via Canyon Trail, which I didn't realize was closed due to being washed out at various sections. Thanks to the rain there was a nice little stream all along Canyon Trail. The Los Pinetos section of the trail is sparsely populated even on a weekend. Dog loved it.

Friday, March 24, 2017

excellent for mounting biking..

Sunday, February 05, 2017

Great hike close to home. Very strenuous first half if you start to the right and hike counterclockwise. Very interesting scenery on the way down. Many trees have fallen across the trail due to recent fire and storms. This is my first time, but I'll be back again!

Saturday, October 15, 2016

trail is closed

Saturday, June 25, 2016

A great day for a hike, though very hot at about 95 degrees, I started out at the Manzanita trail at Placerita Canyon Nature Center and climbed up to the shadeless firebreak and finally made it to the shady tree in the clearing by the road. I hung out at Wilson Saddle for a while before descending down the Northside of the Los Pinetos trail. A good descent, just a hint of sun, but unfortunately many of our friend the gnat swarmed in the forest. Down to Walker Ranch and across through the scenic canyon to the Nature Center was a nice easy warmdown, however it felt plodding after the intensity of the first two legs.

I would recommend doing the trail in this direction, though an earlier start would have been welcome, as the high noon sun will cook you on the firebreak. Bring a wide brim hat, shades, and a wet rag to cool off with if you do this during summer.

Friday, June 10, 2016

no water

Monday, June 06, 2016

it was my first time here and it was amazing !
I just wish I knew which trail took you on top of the SCV.
Besides that it was a good hike !

Friday, May 27, 2016

Best hike ever!!!

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Well maintained trail. Awesome views of scv. Restroom at the top and area to have a nice lunch.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

is good i liked

Sunday, March 27, 2016

This was a simple easy relaxed hike that involved a gently balancing act around some corners. This is perfect if you're just looking for an easy quick hike.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Beautiful shaded hike until you start the descent. Steep slippery trail, unmarked and easy to lose your way. Beautiful views though.

Saturday, January 10, 2015

My family and I love this hike! We have GPS'd it to be 7.5 miles around the loop mapped above. The topography varies depending on where you are which makes for a nice hike. We tend to like to start along the trail that leads to Walker Ranch and climb from that side. The trail down on the Western side of the loop is steep in places so hiking sticks are helpful. We complete the loop in just under 3 hours; however, we have taken less experienced hikers and while they can complete the hike it can take much longer. The lower part of the trail down by Walker Ranch is much traveled more heavily. Once you climb up the mountain and move toward the top, you cross fewer hikers along the way. I have seen large bucks along the path.

Saturday, August 02, 2014

I took the left side of the loop first...very enjoyable and easy trek up to the picnic area. I decided to go the the Waterfall even though I know there isn't any water this time of the year....can't wait to go back when there will be water. I then headed to finish the circuit of the Los Pinetos Trail. There are lots of different paths so I would suggest that you download the mobile app and keep the map open to make sure you stay on the correct trail. I also had "map my walk" on and the entire circuit logged in at just over 8 miles. The last part was very steep and slippery which after 7 miles was hard for me. No shade on this section either. Next time I will go to the right of the trail head first so that the hardest part of the trail can be done while I'm still fresh. Overall an excellent workout.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

Great hike. Very peaceful forest like setting towards the top..more options when you get there.if you turn left and continue hiking eventually you reach the five mile mark at veterans.

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Awesome place to hike and have a picnic with the family.

Sunday, July 21, 2013

I have hiked this many times and have always enjoys it. I took my daughter and she spotted two deer about a half mile from the falls. There is no water this time of year but I have been there when it is and is worth the hike. The hike from the nature center is about five miles round trip.

The thing I really like about this hike is there are plenty of big oaks and assorted trees to give you shade from the sun during the hike. I was impressed by all the work that has been done to the trail since the last time I hiked it. They have added some nice fencing along the trail and added boulder barriers which I am guessing are used to slow down mountain bikers.

The one thing that I didn't like was that they capped the small area that the oil use to bubble out of the ground. I wanted to show my daughter but there is now a cement cap and a steel plate covering it up. How could this have caused a problem? Did some idiot think it was water and try to drink it. It had a foul smell and looked like oil. I know it's not a big deal but this was one of the little surprises that made this trail unique. Overall a fantastic hike and highly recommended!

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Very well cleared out trail, good signs. Took our kids, 14, 15 and 17 took us 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete to the waterfall. Nice clean bathrooms at the nature center, also outhouses at the two mile mark.

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Two thumbs

Monday, April 15, 2013

very nice hike!! after reaching the top of los pinetos trail we walked another 4 miles to los pinetos fire station. in total i did a 20 miles hike enjoyed the very green area towards the top and how preserved the area was!

Monday, April 01, 2013

The waterfall trail was an easy but enjoyable trail. The pinetos trail is very steep but a lot of shade toward the top

Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Overcrowded hike was good but lots of people. Waterfall wasn't good little water. But lot to see. Will do it again cause it was a good workout going he other trail without the waterfall.

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Very beautiful canyon with a few different paths to choose from. Fairly easy but enough to get a good workout while enjoying nature. Saw a lot of beautiful birds, a buck , and a natural oil well where oil is literally bubbling out of the ground. Incredible views of the valley once you are heading up the mountain after the picnic areas. Definitely worth hiking here at least once but I suggest getting there right at sunrise to avoid other hikers if you want an isolated nature experience.