Los Penasquitos Canyon Trail

Los Penasquitos Canyon Trail is a 6.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, California that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

paddle sports

This is a generally flat hike that you can make as long or as short as you like. There are runners, walkers, mountain bikers, horse riders and people of all sorts on this shady and sunny walk. The trails are well maintained and marked. You can stay on the main drag or jog off on the single lane trails that always eventually meet up with the two main trails.

It was way more interesting than I expected. Definitely go to the waterfall. In general it’s very flat, but the trees are very beautiful.

$3 cash to park.

Great trail for walking and trail run. Several trails to choose from. Small ponds and waterfall along the way. Came across several people on trail and mountain bikers. Share the path. Signs throughout path. Great workout. Will do again. Recommend if your looking to walk (not hike) and trail run.

More of a walk than a hike, but suited our needs perfectly. Quite a few other hikers and bikers but a nice wide trail and really lovely waterfall/pools at the end of the trail and some pretty bridges crossing the stream along the way. Brought the dogs on leashes and they loved it. Did see a pretty big snake slither across the path so was glad we kept the dogs on leashes at all times.

Great hike! Very easy if you walk! Lots of different routes to go which is nice for seeing different things. But I did have to PAY THREE DOLLARS IN CASH

Nice long but easy hike. Pretty views of the river along the way. Unfortunately it's tick haven right now. Also there was quite a bit of evidence of snakes on the trail. Be extra cautious with dogs and horses!

Good trail to walk. “Waterfall” wasn’t much. But overall it was nice.

its, nice place

Great Trail for beginners!!

My girlfriend and I loved this hike!!! So beautiful and peaceful.. 8 Miles!!

Pretty sweet lil trail super easy , easy to navigate , descent lil scenery nice lil water way in the middle

Definitely bring some sandals, or a towel. The waterfall and creek is very inviting after hiking an hour or two. Flat and lots of nature.

So this hike is beautiful but... the tick infestation sign at the trail head is no joke! My dog brought home 9 ticks. If you hike this trail I highly recommend staying directly on the trail and don’t let your furry friend run around in the brush at all! I love the hike but I won’t be back to this one because the ticks are terrible to deal with.

Great ride for beginners... was my first mountain biking trail and I loved it.. gonna do this a few more times to build more confidence... went on a weekday, very few people on the trail.

Good hike that leads to a small waterfall, but a little crowded. Still worth the experience.

Lovely trail, well maintained. We did the loop today in 2hrs 22min.

Not a very interesting trail and crowded. Very hot. The creek was cool.

Went with my 4 yr old and 8 month old and they did fine. Saw a large coyote after a family of deer which was neat. Waterfall was ok nothing spectacular but nice to look at. We came in on the West side of the trail so no parking fee.

If you drive in to the actual preserve it costs $3 to park. There was still quite a bit of water at the falls, it was a pretty hike!

A nice long trail so if you like long walks & nature go check it out. Bring plenty of water food/snacks. At the end of trail is a water fall nice site to see.

Nice but very busy as you would expect being so close by.

It's been several years since I visited this trail and now I remember why. The trail was full of runners and packs of cyclists so most of our morning was spent trying to get out of their way as they came passed. We started before 8:00am and there were already a lot of people on the trail. If you are looking for peace and quiet, I do not recommend this hike.

It was a long walk with an 11 and 5 y/o but they did It!
We went on a Sunday and it was busy.
The falls were pretty and we enjoyed some of the small off trails by the creek.

A nice trek indeed. You are surrounded by nature's beauty throughout the different stages of the trail. The only thing to watch out for are the horse/dog droppings. Will definitely be back to this trail again.

We went with two 7yrs old kids on a breezy bright San Diego morning. I was skeptical at first. Thinking the kids was going to whine and not make it to the goal.

We all had fun. Really enjoyed the scenery and the walk was easy for everyone.

Mostly flat or you can choose hills that loop back to main trail.

A good more like a walk in the park hike. Some bike traffic but overall very quiet send peaceful. A few folks at the water fall.

An easy hike; if you can call it one. It’s flat for the most part, and paved. Plus, it’s nice and quiet. Perfect way to wake up on a slow weekend morning or something.

Beautiful. Peaceful. Easy as you make it.
Afternoons and weekends tend to be busy.

Take the hidden trails if you’re hiking.

Nice LONG walk! Not crowded.

This is my new favorite hike to take my dogs on! We got there at 630am and had the trails mostly to ourselves! We did come across a coyote on one of the side trails but it continued on its way after checking us out. It’s pretty flat with great scenery! Once we got to the end of the loop we started seeing a lot more people so I suggest getting there early. The park was closed when we got there so I went over to the community park and parked in the back.