Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road

Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road is a 10.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,483 feet Route Type: Loop

A moderately difficult hike in Topanga Canyon State Park. Lush greens and beautiful views make this trail a hit! A 7+ mile hike from the Pacific Palisades to a popular overlook in Topanga State Park. The first part of this hike - the Los Liones Trail - is one of the most lush riparian canyons I've ever seen in the Santa Monica Mountains. It's gently graded, moderately shady, and definitely worth a look even if you have to fight crowds. Afterward, the trail meets up with the system of fire roads in Topanga State Park and makes a relentless ascent to Parker Mesa (1525ft). On a clear day, you'll get amazing views of the Santa Monica Bay, and often inland as far as the San Bernardino Mountains.

Good well travelled trail close to Santa Monica did the hike counter clockwise and the downward portion proved hazardous with steep loose rock would recommend clockwise. The out and back portion of the trail just added distance on a fire road with little shade no added views or scenery the loop portion had best views and look out spots.

Nice views and portions of the hike are challenging. I did this clockwise to avoid going down the rabbit hole. Unless you enjoy scrambling downhill over very steep terrain, I recommend going out and back (on east trail) or going up clockwise. There is not a lot of shade which makes this a good hike for a cloudy day. The amount off people heading up the trail to the overlook at the E Topanga Fire Road took this hike from a 4 star to a 3 star.

This is my second time on this trail and it was great. I didn’t do the small loop since the sun was setting. I was booking it back to the parking lot as light was fading fast. It was a great sunset looking west over PCH and seeing the purple and pink shades over DTLA all at the same time.

I followed the “all trail” route the entire way. Actually ended up going further to Eagle Rock definitely do it if you have the energy the scenery is incredible. On the way back I did the east trail after the park Mesa viewpoint and it was awful. Overgrown and full of loose rocks and gravel. You have to go down some v steep slopes and it’s all loose gravel I was really worried about hurting myself. I skidded tons and slipped a few times. I’m short so maybe that’s why I found it difficult. It’s very tough on the way down, I’d recommend if you want to have a challenge to go up the east trail first thus start the hike counter clockwise.

Endless Great views

Beautiful trail and views with lots of green everywhere. Only complain is that is over crowded on the weekends.

One of the best views in all of LA. Highly recommend going to the second overlook. Definitely has some steep grades, but totally worth it.

Nice work out, really enjoyed running down the rabbit hole at the end, pretty hike if you finish as the sun is setting.

Very beautiful views of the ocean and downtown. We went until parker mesa overlook starting from Los liones trail. And according to the map here it’s a thorough hike but in reality the trail down from parker mesa overlook isn’t like perfect and highly overgrown so most of the people turned back from parker mesa overlook to go down rather than the one on this map given.

Easy to moderate hiking. Just the right amount of shade.

The starting point was easy to find, parking wasn't an issue and was free. I followed the trail going counter clockwise up the single track Los Liones to the overlook, where it transitioned to the East Topanga Fire Road. It's a steady climb up, but not too difficult. I was switching between walking and jogging as I climbed up the hill. I continued on the fire road to Trippet Lane for the out & back portion of the hike. There were some different views of the surrounding mountains along the way, but it's wasn't very interesting. And it's a wide fire trail, so not technical or difficult. I jogged most of it just to get it done. The little loop at the top by the Santa Ynez Trail was overgrown. But to be fair there was a sign saying that it wasn't a maintained trail. If you were to hike the whole way down to the Santa Ynez Canyon, I can't image the trail conditions would improve much, so that would be an interesting hike for another day. I doubled back down the fire road and stayed right to continue to the Parker Mesa overlook. It started to become more of a single track and the overlook was a great spot to look out toward the ocean with Malibu and Santa Monica in the foreground. There were a couple benches although I'm not really one to sit still. Then it got interesting. I was expecting the climb down to be like the climb up, but boy was I wrong. The path became narrow and treacherous as the decent was steep and the footing was a mixture of loose dirt and rocks with not much to grab on to. My "hike" changed from mostly a trail run to slowly and methodically trying to navigate my way down the hill without slipping. I managed to make it all the way down the "Rabbit Hole" trail without wiping out, but if I had to do it again I would have looped around the other way to go up this trail instead of down. Although I have to admit, going up the rabbit hole doesn't sound as cool. Funny thing, just when I was feeling good about myself having made it down the hill in one piece, I passed a guy jogging up the hill in flip flops. Then when I checked my Strava flybys I found the guy did the hill up and down twice, in flip flops. Unbelievable. I felt accomplished in sneakers.

Loved this trail! I did this exact 10.7 mile route and it was intense! The last 1.3 miles when it starts descending steeply, make sure you have enough energy because I believe that was the hardest part. Keeping your balance after doing the majority of the hike and then ending off on the descent was brutal. My buddy and I ran out of water so we got desperate and continued and finished but for ppl that are not as experienced, this may have been very hard to finish without water. There is no shade so make sure you use adequate sunblock, adequate shoes and plenty of water and even some snacks! Some parts are overgrown but nothing unmanageable!

Nice hike, overall gradual gain. Restroom near the end of the loop.