Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road

Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road is a 10.4 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November.

A moderately difficult hike in Topanga Canyon State Park. Lush greens and beautiful views make this trail a hit! A 7+ mile hike from the Pacific Palisades to a popular overlook in Topanga State Park. The first part of this hike - the Los Liones Trail - is one of the most lush riparian canyons I've ever seen in the Santa Monica Mountains. It's gently graded, moderately shady, and definitely worth a look even if you have to fight crowds. Afterward, the trail meets up with the system of fire roads in Topanga State Park and makes a relentless ascent to Parker Mesa (1525ft). On a clear day, you'll get amazing views of the Santa Monica Bay, and often inland as far as the San Bernardino Mountains.

Great hike and great views from the top. Pretty good workout but this is a perfect time of year to hike, except the fires.

Excellent trail

Excelente trail

You can make this a shorter hike by turning around once you get to the first lookout point. It would then be about 2.6 mi. That's what I did today. Check out my map of your interested. One of my favorite hikes, great shade and fun (LL portion). After that it's pretty much out in the open.

Picturesque LA hike

My favorite hike in the city

great! not easy!

Very pretty hike. Nice views.

Fun hike with great views. Can hike from 1.5 up to 10 miles.

just did hike again and realized it's the 3rd hill that is really difficult, but fun!! 2nd hill must seems to go up forever!
take the path less traveled - go to the left!

The trail is a loop. At the trailhead, just past the gate to the left is a drainage ditch the trail is at the bottom. Start up right away and keep going up 4 hills to the lookout area. Instead of 3.5 miles, you are there in 1.3 miles. Wear shoes with tread - lots of loose rocks and sand. The 2nd hill is long, steep and rocky! I was crawling at times! It is a fantastic climb. Definitely would rate this way HARD. To me, the way most people go - through the canyon to the fire road, is moderate. TBH - wouldn't go down this way - I would end up on my butt! If you want a challenge, take the trail on the left!!

Great view at the top. Beautiful trail.

Hiked this trail midweek at 8:30am. Plenty of street parking and two nearby lots at that time. I parked across from the LDS church and right near trailhead. Also public restrooms close by but don't open till 8:45-9am. Hike is a mix of narrower path and then opens up to a fire road. Shade for first 15-30 minutes. Then direct sun but ocean views. Steep the entire time for the 2 miles I hiked. I had to stop a few times to catch my breath but I was also chatting entire time with a friend. Turned back after 2 miles and ran into a lot more people on the way down. Street was also a lot more full with cars by the time I ended around 10:15am.

This is by far one of my favorite hikes and it was awesome....

This is my absolute favorite trail. The first part takes you to a bench that oversees the ocean and city is perfect for all ages. Continue up the trails to get an intense workout and you'll eventually run into the Temecula Trail. Good for hiking, trail running, and quite the workout! Highly recommend this trail!

This trail is very busy, but still pretty enjoyable. Get there early if you want to be able to to park near the trailhead. The current map shows a loop, but this is an out-and-back hike - there is no trail that continues from the benches to the trailhead other than the way you came. Most people hike to the benches, take in the view and then return the way the came, rather than continuing along the fire road to the Santa Ynez trail. I only saw MTBs going up there.

Super trail !

July 23rd: The first mile or so is full of vegetation (shades) and single file trail. The remaining of the trail was on a fire road which is wide and provides absolutely no shades going to Trippet Ranch and Parker Mesa Overlook (from 8:30am on). I started at 6:30am, so there were some shades and the heat wasn't too intense then...but... it got worst. I got sunburned despite wearing an UPF 50 shirt.

Challenging but great

This loop is 5 miles and 1,500 ft. of climb, not 10 miles and 2,400 as listed.