Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road

hardYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(749)
Topanga State Park

Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road is a 10.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, nature trips, and bird watching and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,483 feet Route Type: Loop

A moderately difficult hike in Topanga Canyon State Park. Lush greens and beautiful views make this trail a hit! A 7+ mile hike from the Pacific Palisades to a popular overlook in Topanga State Park. The first part of this hike - the Los Liones Trail - is one of the most lush riparian canyons I've ever seen in the Santa Monica Mountains. It's gently graded, moderately shady, and definitely worth a look even if you have to fight crowds. Afterward, the trail meets up with the system of fire roads in Topanga State Park and makes a relentless ascent to Parker Mesa (1525ft). On a clear day, you'll get amazing views of the Santa Monica Bay, and often inland as far as the San Bernardino Mountains.

Views of the coastline and downtown LA were great. It was a hot day and I prayed for an ocean breeze that seemed to just tease me. I followed the route posted but ended up not taking the western loop down past the point (best views are from here - a must), I turned back towards the outhouse at the split on the advice of locals that said the route was steep beyond the benches. Added extra miles to my hike so I think I did over 13 miles. Great hike, but it took everything I had to finish it.

Great hike very crowded but definitely worth it.

This trail was soo pretty. i enjoyed it a lot. you can go with your dog, and kids. It was easy, and this trail is one of my favorites trails. The parking is free. i went two week ago. I really recommend this trail.

Overgrown. Check for ticks

Absolutely love this trail and do it quite frequently with friends. It’s long and scenic and a mix between easy and moderate inclines to keep it interesting.

Awesome views!

If you’re looking to avoid people on the trails due to the quarantine— this is not the trail for that. The narrow trail is often elbow to elbow with other people as they pass you/you pass them. The landscape was beautiful and you can see far out to the Santa Monica pier, but this is not a good trail to practice social distancing. It’s too narrow. I’d try again when we get through this pandemic but right now— it’s not a place to stay safe. There were three people on the trail who were actively coughing and few people were hiking with masks on. My roommate and I ended up turning around and heading back to the car instead of completing the loop because we felt uncomfortable with how close we were with lots of other people. It was packed today.

Amazing views great trail. Just make sure your body is all covered ‘poison oaks’, and try not to stay after sunset you might get lost.

Great hike! My fiancé and I love it.

Great track, but very crowded

Good well travelled trail close to Santa Monica did the hike counter clockwise and the downward portion proved hazardous with steep loose rock would recommend clockwise. The out and back portion of the trail just added distance on a fire road with little shade no added views or scenery the loop portion had best views and look out spots.

Nice views and portions of the hike are challenging. I did this clockwise to avoid going down the rabbit hole. Unless you enjoy scrambling downhill over very steep terrain, I recommend going out and back (on east trail) or going up clockwise. There is not a lot of shade which makes this a good hike for a cloudy day. The amount off people heading up the trail to the overlook at the E Topanga Fire Road took this hike from a 4 star to a 3 star.

This is my second time on this trail and it was great. I didn’t do the small loop since the sun was setting. I was booking it back to the parking lot as light was fading fast. It was a great sunset looking west over PCH and seeing the purple and pink shades over DTLA all at the same time.

I followed the “all trail” route the entire way. Actually ended up going further to Eagle Rock definitely do it if you have the energy the scenery is incredible. On the way back I did the east trail after the park Mesa viewpoint and it was awful. Overgrown and full of loose rocks and gravel. You have to go down some v steep slopes and it’s all loose gravel I was really worried about hurting myself. I skidded tons and slipped a few times. I’m short so maybe that’s why I found it difficult. It’s very tough on the way down, I’d recommend if you want to have a challenge to go up the east trail first thus start the hike counter clockwise.