Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road

Los Liones Canyon and East Topanga Fire Road is a 10.7 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Pacific Palisades, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 10.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,483 feet Route Type: Loop

A moderately difficult hike in Topanga Canyon State Park. Lush greens and beautiful views make this trail a hit! A 7+ mile hike from the Pacific Palisades to a popular overlook in Topanga State Park. The first part of this hike - the Los Liones Trail - is one of the most lush riparian canyons I've ever seen in the Santa Monica Mountains. It's gently graded, moderately shady, and definitely worth a look even if you have to fight crowds. Afterward, the trail meets up with the system of fire roads in Topanga State Park and makes a relentless ascent to Parker Mesa (1525ft). On a clear day, you'll get amazing views of the Santa Monica Bay, and often inland as far as the San Bernardino Mountains.

wonderful as always. saw an adult rattlesnake!

I prefer approaching this hike from Topanga Park because it is far less crowded and therefore much more peaceful from that trail. The trade off is that it is less strenuous starting in Topanga because it has a much gentler grade up. Also, there is much less free parking from there too since it is in the neighborhoods. You can always pay for parking inside the park though. If you want more incline and a much steeper ascent, then approach from Los Liones Road (tons of free parking); but then you have to deal with the crowds and the single lanes on the trail. If you can manage to ignore the crowds (weekdays less so), this is a stunning hike with inclines, cardio, and long stretches of gentler grade to simply enjoy nature. Bring your own water b/c there is NONE along the trail. The hike gets very hot during the summer months with little shade; and is magical during the winter when you get to literally walk in the clouds, as they blow into you along the trail right off the ocean. Highly recommend for a great stress buster- if you live in LA you probably need one.

Solid exposed hike with a modest elevation gain. Beautiful scenery.

Over grown at the beginning but clears up with higher elevation gain. Bathroom available at one of the view points

Great hike. Hard. Great views. It’s worth to hike all the way up to Mesa overlook.

It's a typical LA city hike. Not a hike hikers would call a hike! If you take away the idiots that like to play loud music, the groups of sissy boys that like to use the f-word, lots of tits and ass, and all the people with dogs even when there are several huge signs that say, "No Dogs" then it's OK at best. I won't mention the overcrowding on the trail. Good thing is the police were up at the 1st overlook giving tickets to all the fools that had dogs. I'm a dog lover but there's a reason why domestic pets shouldn't be on certain hiking trails. One is disease from their poop and the other is the really stupid owners let their dogs run loose and they chase wildlife. There are mountain lions in these hills. The 1st mile is close to being a hike, the rest is walking on a dirt road. Amazing how many people that live in LA think rules don't apply to them and have no respect for themselves or others.

You need stamina to keep going through this long hike! But it’s beautiful!

Overlook is awesome

Probably my favorite spring hike in LA. Beautiful today because overcast. So green from the rain. Did Los Liones to Parker Mesa Overlook and the extra Topanga Fire Rd track down to the Topanga Canyon sign and back out via Los Liones. Our health apps were saying longer than 10.7miles, but know they aren’t totally accurate. Is 10.7 correct? This hike is hot when sunny because little shade, but go early and it is one of the best!

Love this hike, mostly for its cardio. After the mile or so of wooded, in-the-mountain terrain, it gets super exposed to the sun on the fire road. It's steep for a few miles until you hit Parker Mesa. Nice view of the ocean. I've seen a few snakes up here. You can also find solitude in this hike as it's more difficult and less people take on the challenge.

This trail has a ton of great views of the coast and the city. It’s very popular so there are almost always a ton of people there, but everyone is nice and along for the ride. There’s barely any shade so it’s not great for dogs, but it’s doable. I love having my dog off-leash but I wouldn’t recommend for this hike because of the traffic.

Terrific hike. Strongly recommend as you approach the trail head to go left through the drainage basin and do rabbit hole up first as others have described. Would be treacherous to come down. That part lasts a couple miles, it’s difficult, and overgrown, but it’s fun. The rest of the hike is moderate.

overall, I really enjoyed this hike, it was a great challenge with lots of elevation gain and great views. What I did not enjoy, however, was the portion called Rabbit Hole. If you are hiking alone or with younger kids, I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING RABBIT HOLE. it was extremely steep and slippery due to loose rocks (I had to slide down on my butt or risk falling for about 1/3 of it), very overgrown and I actually got lost at one point because the trail was not clear. Not fun when you are hiking alone. So if you do the loop counterclockwise (which I recommend) , when you get to Parker Mesa Overlook I suggest going back the way you came. don't do what I did and take some sketchy goat trail through the mountains alone.

this Trail will forever be one of my very favorites. it has great Lookout points that look over the Pacific Coast Highway, the Pacific Ocean, downtown LA, Peaks at some Hollywood homes, and yet the path you are on makes you feel like you are so far from the city. this Trail makes you feel like you're in the desert and jungle at the same time. comparable to Runyon Canyon and its difficulty level however I find Runyon Canyon to be far more overrun, touristy and parts of the path are paved which just gives me less of a hiking feel. there are public washrooms at the bottom of the trail and there's public parking along the street leading up to the entrance. I recommend wearing hiking boots or Runners with thick treads due to the loose stones and uneven surfaces. I have seen rattlesnakes small lizards and many birds while hiking. it takes roughly 35 to 45 minutes to reach the first look-out spot where there are benches to relax and take in the view. the next section of the trail has no shelter from trees so this can be a little more strenuous. often you will see hikers, runners and people riding mountain bikes. everyone I've met on the trail has been very friendly and from all over the world.

Mayne the view is tight asf and the hike up was good too definitely recommend

My first hiking trail in LA. I have been there for two times. But just realized that I didn’t finished the full trail and we only hiked like 4 miles. Nice Malibu view on the top and good work out. No shade tho

Beautiful hike. We did this loop counterclockwise saving Rabbit Hole as our last few miles. With tired legs it was a bit sketchy on the descent. Lots of small rocks making it slippery. Might go clockwise next time getting the uphill scramble of Rabbit Hole out of the way.

This is a great trail. We went last weekend. First weekend right after the rain we had here in LA. It was beautiful to see so much greenery. I do recommend heading up early. There was a lot of people heading up as we were coming back down. Noon was the busiest. Other than that, I would totally be back there again.

Best hike in LA

Fantastic views of the snow covered peaks behind LA. Absolutely spectacular day for a hike.

Love this hike! Challenging and great ocean views at the same time :)

Excellent hike