Loon Lake Trail

Loon Lake Trail is a 8.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pollock Pines, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and fishing and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Two buddies and I went backpacking up to buck island lake. Great views the whole way. Pretty hot during the day but we expected that since the elevation on the entire route is under 7,000 feet. Limited campsites at the lake so I'm glad we left early. The rubicon river was quite impressive and so cold. We had a blast!

Backpacked with my two young sons to Buck Island Lake. The trail is as advertised...alot of granite rocks. But it made for an exciting trip. It was hot, and not a lot of shade once you got to the end of Loon Lake. All in all, a great trip.

Was really a nice hike. The only criticism of this train is that it's composed of loose granite at around the half way mark, which could lead to twisted ankles or knees. Other than that the hike was very nice.

a beautiful hike! gorgeous views and very quiet. As of 06/09 there was quite a bit of water on the trail but still manageable.

Nice hike! Unfortunately thunderstorm, wind, hail came out of nowhere and had to pitch camp quick but ended up being gorgeous views, and hike. As of 6/22/17 there's no snow on the trails, wet from the rainstorm, but easily crossed over creeks and standing water without getting my hiking boots wet. No snow up toward rubicon reservoir! Mild patches noted on the mountain tops.

This was a great hike for our 3rd annual backpacking trip. We hiked from Loon Lake to Spider Lake. The trail is rocky but well worth the effort.

One of the best locations in the El Dorado National Forest; so beautiful!

So quiet and just gorgeous! I loved being able to bring my dog with me.

loved it

Amazing trail!!

We backpacked from the Loon Lake trailhead to Rockbound lake. This was a part of the area I have never seen and it was amazing! It was definitely a decent hike, however, like Mark said below...the rocks suck! It totally slows down the momentum and makes for a not fun portion of the trail. But when you get to Rockbound, hopefully you get the lake to your self like we did, it was amazing! If you like to fish, bring your gear, I wish I brought mine. Just after sunrise is breakfast time for the brownies!

Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Saturday, July 16, 2016

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

We backpacked from Loon Lake trailhead to Rockbound Lake, 7 miles. Beautiful scenery but BEWARE: They put crushed rock and boulders on the trail from before Spider to Rockbound Lake that makes it very difficult to walk on, totally messed up the trail. WTF Forrest Service?

Monday, July 04, 2016

Great LONG hike we started early so it wasnt to bad with the sun we had a picnic at the edge of the lake it was Beautiful