Lookout Mountain via Bear Canyon Trail

Lookout Mountain via Bear Canyon Trail is a 8.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, California that offers scenic views. The trail is only recommended for very experienced adventurers and primarily used for hiking, camping, birding, and backpacking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

At about 1.5 miles you hit the "Bear Flats" sign on your right. Just a little further up, the trail to Lookout Mtn. breaks off to the left. It looks like an old creek bed. Walk down that for maybe a hundred feet and the "trail" breaks off to the right and out of the creek bed. From there it is really hard to follow, so use the gpx. It goes down into the canyon and follows it to the start of the west fork. At that point you ascend to the saddle and walk the ridge line to Peak 6930 and Lookout Mountain. Get Afoot and Afield Inland Empire for detailed instructions.

Secluded trail, but at what cost? To call this trail overgrown is an understatement. I would compare it to pulling off of Angeles Crest Highway at any given point and just tromping into the wilderness with no direction. If you’re trying to live out some Indiana Jones fantasy then this just might be the trail for you— complete with sliding boulders and snakes. I guess you could call me a trail snob, but I like my trails like I like my men, well groomed.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Very technical and seldom used trail off of Bear Flats and up to Lookout Mountain. About 9 miles round trip. Check my GPX file for details as I got lost several times. So maybe don't follow it to the letter, but don't add on the extra 1.5 miles I did. VERY challenging hike when it is hot. Lots of overgrown trail and spikey things. Also, lots of very eroded trail. Be careful, bring poles, and water...whole lotta water. A-Mazing views at the end make it all worth it.