Learn more

Long Valley Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Inyokern, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from May until September.

Length 4.8 mi Elevation gain 587 ft Route type Out & Back
Camping Fishing Hiking Nature trips Bird watching Forest River Views Wild flowers Wildlife
Waypoints (0)
Photos (6)
Recordings (6)
Completed (9)
Marina Woodward
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 30, 2020
HikingBugsOver grownRockyScramble

Fun hike! We called it the fairy waterfall hike because there are a bunch of cute little waterfalls. We didn’t make it all the way because we were carrying our baby. But loved what we saw. I would not recommend this hike for kids/baby. There were some pretty crazy rock scrambles towards the beginning, it was pretty tough. I wouldn’t rate this hike moderate. But moderate difficult. At the beginning there were some rock scrambles and you had to step in some mud. Easy to lose the trail, but it pretty much just follows the creek. We saw a bunch of rock cairns. You definitely want to wear pants we saw a bunch of ticks. Only saw one other group on the trail. Partly shady. I would suggest off road vehicle to get to trail head. I wouldn’t want to take my car.

View Marina's Recording
Brandon Matthes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 16, 2020
HikingOver grownRockyScramble

As others have stated, this trail is very overgrown and rugged. Being a climber, it reminded me more of a climbing access trail than a hiking trail. I'd imagine it would be hard to get lost because you hike along a stream the entire way, but due to the growth along the stream it is challenging to navigate what side of the trail and where the easiest path is. Plan for twice the amount of time you'd expect for a 4 mile hike, and don't be deceived by the first half mile of "cleared" trail. We also experienced an abundance of ticks, I pulled about 10 off me over the course of the hike, and 30 to 40 off our dog. All that said, this trail affords you a unique and beautiful experience in a remote part of the Sierras/Kern river. We considered this more of an adventure than a hike. Note, you can go in the Kern river, but it's not as playful expected and the shore has a lot of growth. I went into this expecting a short but slightly overgrown hike to a pleasant swimming hole along the Kern, it was not that. But, we had a great time and will definitely remember it.

Ray Badalich
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSeptember 10, 2018
Backpacking

Very rough overgrown trail with lots of obstacles. Easy to lose the path but just follow the creekbed down and you will reach the Kern. Look for stacked rocks to keep on the trail. Lots of wonderful rock formations and desert wildlife.

Aladdin Obeid
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarApril 5, 2018
Hiking

Very nice place to hike and camp!

Jess Vsqz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 2, 2018
Hiking

No fish... but very beautiful place

James Y
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarFebruary 17, 2018
Backpacking
First to Review

Easy backpack in from the Long Valley primitive campground to the South Fork of the Kern River. Highly scenic and highly remote.

Mark Iacone
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 14, 2019
View Mark's Recording