Long Lake Loop Trail

Long Lake Loop Trail is a 4.7 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clio, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.7 miles Elevation Gain: 1,053 feet Route Type: Loop

Stunning country. Large rock steps hard on my knees but a nice trail

This trail has amazing views. The section along the Mt Elwell side of the lake might be difficult for anyone with a fear of heights as it is very narrow and rocky.

It’s a lot of uphill. 5 mile loop from Lakes Basin trailhead. An early start is best since much of it is full sun. The light is best for photos in the early am as well. We met at the trailhead at 7:30 am. Got going about 7:45 finished at 11 am.

Beautiful trail. Well maintained. I took my 6 year old daughter and she managed okay. There were a few parts that were a bit too much uphill and tiring for her, but we managed. There's a picture-esque photo at just about every turn. We stayed in a tent at Lakes Basin CG, and it was better than I could have ever anticipated.

Great during August. Tried it end of May early June and was completely washed out. Closer to 5.7 to parking lot!

Hiked with Kylie 07/20/19.

Did this trail mid July. still small patches of snow witch made it great as you can tell all the plant life is enjoying the extra water. beautiful views, lots of offshoots to make as strenuous as you want. I recommend counterclockwise.

Awesome hike with great views. Did the trail in late June and there was still quite a bit of snow on the north facing slopes, however it was passable with just hiking boots. Probably would have been a bit easier with trekking poles. We did the loop counterclockwise and the only problem we encountered was at the east end of the lake at the dam/spillway. Winds were sustained at 30mph with gusts to 40 which was pushing a lot of water over the spillway, creating a river that was impassable with out getting wet.

one of my favorite, beautiful. little rocky on the other side of the lake but my pup and i made it just fine. definitely worth it.

Not only did i hike this but i also did the horseback riding guided tours back in summer. It was a cool experience! Definitely check out the guided tours during the summer when they are open since its seasonal. The hike was beautiful. The views were stunning.

Tuesday, October 09, 2018

Really beautiful hike. Challenging in enough places to keep it interesting. Lots of possible variations to hit additional peaks, lakes, etc. Trail shown here is def more like 6 miles.

Saturday, October 06, 2018

This is a beautiful loop hike but I agree with others here that have noted that the listed distance of 4.5 miles is incorrect. Our route tracker had it closer to 6 miles and we didn’t stray much from the inner loop trail option. That said this is a great hike and the fall colors, patchy clouds, dramatic views, and migrating flocks of geese high above were glorious - just be ready for something more like 5.5 - 6 miles.

Saturday, August 25, 2018

One of our favorite hikes with many variations available to add on. There is an off shoot above Long Lake that will take you to the top of Mt Elwell for great distant views. Near the end you can turn right and extend the loop taking you by Silver Lake, Big Bear, Little Bear Lake and Cub Lake. It is probably the most common route explaining the difference in distance some have mentioned. Best time is late spring early summer for an abundance of wild flowers or late fall for some fall colors. We usually do this several times a year.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

The views of Long Lake and its surroundings are absolutely stunning.

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Great beautiful trail with a nice variety of terrain, gorgeous views, and plenty of wild flowers. Lost the trail briefly at the highest peak. Could use some tail markers. All Trails app helped us get back on track pretty quickly. We highly recommend this hike!

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Definitely not a moderate hike. More difficult than that. Half of the loop is basically bouldering up a mountain. Would not recommend to people with children or older folks. Put your dogs in boots as the rocks very very hot and can cause blistering on their paws. Also our GPS says 5.8 miles, not 4.5.

Friday, July 13, 2018

GPS said 5.8 miles. Beautiful hike! We did it clockwise and it was a bit rough going down the rocky side. Next time we'll try counter clockwise! So many amazing views!

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Wonderful flowers all along the trail. Doable with kids (8, 9,12 years old) (6/27)

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Great hiking today. This app said 4.5 miles but my gps said 5.8.

Sunday, October 08, 2017

What a great day. Doing this one again for sure. Maybe hiking boots next time.

Saturday, July 29, 2017

Great hike. my 4 yr olds first backpacking trip. we camped at long lake eventhough it was "restricted". my son was too tired to hike out. this would have been nice to know before we got up there. We did some swimming. no luck with the fishing.

Sunday, July 02, 2017

Some shade, but wear sun screen.

Thursday, April 20, 2017

This hike was incredible. Highly recommended. Gorgeous lakes, places to relax, views... just perfect.

Sunday, November 20, 2016

Gorgeous views, wonderful hike. Depending on time of year it can be very windy. Carry plenty of water for the backside as the only access to the lake is a short distance.

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Doesn't get much better than this! Low traffic and beautiful views. I took a longer route going to Bear Lake too added a couple miles. Easy to follow.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

A trail with beautiful vistas everywhere you look. Looking forward to doing more hikes in the area.

Friday, June 17, 2016

The PCT portion still had snow on it when I hiked it June 12. Camping at long lake is prohibited but the lakes to the north are amazing and you can camp there. Fun easy trails.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Beautiful hike. I would rate this more moderate rather than easy. There are some rocky sections on the Mt. Elwell side of the trail that was a little difficult on my dogs paws after awhile (granted my dog has city paws). I could also see younger kids having a tough time, but there are shorter loops in the area for them. Beautiful views every time you stop to take a breather!