Long Canyon Loop

Long Canyon Loop is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Simi Valley, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Nice views, weather was great. Good after work hike. Where you get close to the homes near the end you discover there are fewer responsible pet owners.

Very nice, have not been on a hike in a while. I took my 8 and 5 year old girls. They were a bit tired by the end but we did it!

Nice little hike. Beautiful wildflowers out there this time

Went today for the first time and almost the first hike ever for my friend and I. It was fun and we'll definitely do it again. Even though this is rated as Easy, the first 3/4 mile is where you gain the most of the elevation so be prepared to chug up a hill for a bit. Other than that, easy hike with very little if any shade. Nice breeze, overall good weather and leaving early helped with the lack of shade. Of course, wear good shoes because the trail is never flat (lots of divots, rocks, etc).

Great place to hike! Watch out for rattle snakes and make sure you have your dog on a leash coyotes are always around!

casual hike but choose your own pace. And of course even run the trail to add challenge!

Saturday, January 28, 2017

Nice trail but went when it was windy. Will go back but not on a windy day!

Monday, January 02, 2017

2 and 4 year old kids had fun. Trails are starting to get nice with all the rain lately

Monday, November 21, 2016

I took my 4 yr old son with me and he walked and even ran for the some of the course, it's a good trail, nothing crazy and we enjoyed it. The views are awesome!

Monday, November 14, 2016

Nice long walk

Sunday, September 25, 2016

nice long walk. pretty rolling hills. no shade.

Saturday, September 24, 2016

A great early morning family outing. An easy and kid friendly hike! Our 9 year old really enjoyed it! We saw a deer and rabbits.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Great little climb with a lot of cactus flowers in Spring!

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Got started a bit late on a hot day. Two snake sightings, lots of bunnies.

Monday, May 09, 2016

I hiked from Long Canyon to Simi Peak and Back, this review is for that track. The day was beautiful, cool in the 60's with almost total cloud cover and patches of blue sky. The fields had already turned golden and China flat was no longer lush and green however this was still an amazing hike.

This route was not overly difficult. I would rate it as medium difficulty and nearly a perfect way to spend a day. Not a hike I would be interested in doing in the heat. as there is very little shade cover save for a few spots.

I have hiked in this area in dry warm conditions and the ground becomes hard and clay like which puts a bit of stress on my legs and knees. Fortunately the day I hiked this was the day after rains and the soil was soft and moist, even a touch muddy in places. It was great for hiking overall despite the muddy spots, soft ground with no dust.

Despite the fields of gold there were patches of green in places, mostly under a small section of oaks.

Rather than take China Flat trail I took a narrower trail which was nice however, it gets quite narrow and very cut out in places which makes finding a flat surface challenging. Not good if you have bad ankles. Also, the tall grasses combined with the narrow track made using my trekking poles a bit challenging. Next time I might stay on the main China Flat trail until it intersects with the Simi Peak trail.

This hike took me nearly 6 hours with ample breaks at both Simi Peak and the ridgeline overlooking Long Canyon. Total hiking time was about 5 hours. Bring plenty of water as there are no sources on the path and make sure you bring sunscreen or clothing to cover exposed skin as the midday sun is known to get quite brutal out there, especially in the summer.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Glorious! Loved the fields of long green grass, wild flowers, rock formations and mountain views. Just a beautiful moderate hike!

Saturday, March 12, 2016

An amazing hike, every 10 minutes the scenery changes to something totally different. Took about 2 1/2 hours for a group to make the loop, a good hike for those starting out.

Saturday, October 10, 2015

good one to train for strenuous hikes.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Great hike. The inclines provide a great way to train for other strenuous hikes/mountain climbs. Bring a lot of water with you because it can get very hot depending on the time of the year; not much shade until the end of the hike.