Loma Alta and Big Rock Ridge Trail

Loma Alta and Big Rock Ridge Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near San Rafael, California that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Take the Big Rock Ridge trail to explore sections of the Lucas Valley Open Space Preserve. This hike feature nice views and meanders through a mixed range of elevation and biomes

Even on a windy, overcast mid-February day this was a great hike. Amazing views (East Bay, San Francisco, highway 37 all the way through Vallejo).

We did a slightly different route than the one published, turning it into a point-to-point hike instead of out-and-back. Parked one vehicle at the end of the Luiz Fire Road (on Creekside Drive), and started the hike at the Big Rock trailhead. Overall hike was still ~7 miles, taking us along the ridge for a solid ~2.5 miles. Hike time was 3 hours.

According the posted signs, portions of this alternate route are closed during deer hunting season (some of the route is an easement on private ranch land). So check before heading out.

I took the Big Rock Ridge trail all the way to the radio towers. This hike meandered through a mixed range of elevations and had fabulous views of overlooking the Skywalker Ranch, and on the top I could see as far as San Francisco.

Once at the peak, you'll experience great views and have the option to go down numerous offshoot trails.

A little more challenging than I thought it was going to be. A good charge up hill.

While it says easy, it is a pretty good clip uphill. It is very close to my place so I will definitely go again, but I may not go the full way to the radio tower. I think I would instead turn around at the spot about halfway through where you are overlooking Skywalker Ranch.

Sat Jan 31st - got WAY over ambitious and spent 6 hours on this trail - dangerous for my stage of health-- up Big Rock - to the tower then up to Luiz trail - total of 4.5 hours climbing up - then 1.5 dangerously steep downhill gravel road - collapsed at end of trail -- won't try this again for at least 6 months!! Yikes!..

Wed Jan 14 - first time I eer attempted Big Rock Trail - 75 minutes -- awesome trail - loved it- Jan 17th - came back for 120 minutes, with Katherine and Emilio