Lola Montez Trail

Lola Montez Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Soda Springs, California that features a great forest setting and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

One of my favorite trails❣️

Great hike, beautiful scenery. A lot of the hike is on gravel fire roads. Not as pretty as the single track, but still forested and scenic.

The lake makes it worth it. Walked around lower lake, tried to find the trail to upper lake by following cairns up the granite on the far side, but trail sort of disappeared, so we gave up and just enjoyed lower lake.

Lots of great places to camp around the lake and surrounding granite. Very picturesque. Will definitely come back for an overnight trip.

It was 110+ degrees in Roseville today, so we woke up early and headed up the hill. And it was a ton of fun. The destination lake was beautiful and fun to swim in, but we only saw very small fish (hooked into one using a fly rod). We also hiked to the rock peak to the left of the lake and enjoyed great views. There were a lot of mountain bikers in the area (Saturday so not a surprise). Great trail and swim for dogs, too.

Great trail and correctly rated as moderate. Nice stair climb section and the lake is very nice at the top.

Great trail, definitely some challenging parts but the lake at the top makes it all worth it!

8/4/17 - Hiked with my sister, my husband and our two kids ages 14 and 17. Beautiful hike through trees and on some gravel road (which is fine for group talking-while-hiking even though single-track is prettier) that gets steep in places so your heart gets pumping. It was fun to ford the creek, which you can do by stepping on rocks. No snow on the trail at all. The lake was gorgeous with only three other groups of people spread around it so we had a private boulder to picnic on and swim from. The lake was cold but not freezing. It felt great. When we started the hike I thought we were on a green "easy" trail so was surprised it was so challenging. Just now re-checking the All Trails description, Lower Lola Montez Trail is "easy" and Lola Montez Trail is "moderate." The trails look identical on the All Trails maps so I really don't know what the difference is. I would rate the trail moderate. And I would do it again and camp out.

I brought my kids to hike this yesterday. The trail was beautiful, passing a waterfall high up on a granite ledge about .75 mile in to the hike. Had to pass a thigh-high deep stream and climb over several downed trees. We opted for taking the fire road all the way up instead of the steeper uphill trail. Well, we missed the trail marker, but we're glad we did as it was pretty much like taking stairs straight up for a half mile. There were big patches of snow covering the trail up by the lake. But once you get past that, the lake was clear and lovely! Cold, but not so cold that you couldn't swim. We waded in thigh high and it was cool and refreshing. Hike back down was easy as it was all downhill pretty much. Will do this again!!

6/29/17: Hiked to Lola Montez over a rushing stream and over patches of snow to catch brook trout to 11". Catch and release. Had a great hike with my buddy Nino.

Keep in mind of the season or how the weather might affect it. Drove 1.5 hours just to find it's closed, because there's still 10 feet of snow...was very bummed. The weather was perfect though.
Will update the rating once the hike actually happens.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Monday, August 22, 2016

The trail to the 1st lake is quite pleasant, and as someone who loves finding a lake at the end, you won't be disappointed. There are some moderate uphills but all are manageable. There are private property signs but we saw all of one house. The second lake however is much more aggressive. It's about a half mile away from the first, but at a 600-700 foot elevation gain through thick brush and steep flat rock, it's not for the faint of heart. Prepare for scraped up legs, as the thick brush was quite unavoidable. What was disappointing is that we worked hard to get to the second lake, and found a few campers that had arrived via 4-wheel drive on fire roads. We hoped to have a lake to our own with a couple of other brave souls, so that was kind of a let down. The seemingly short hike to the second lake takes longer than the first one as you navigate through tough terrain. While the view from the second lake was certainly amazing, the 1st lake is larger and clearer. I'd definitely go again, but probably just to the first lake.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Lovely hike.

Monday, July 04, 2016

A nice hike to a pretty little lake. Trail is pretty easy to follow and is appropriately considered a moderate level trail. We didn't hike to Upper Lola Montez as the smoke from a fire had come in and settled in the area. I was not a big fan of hiking on the private gravel road so much as I enjoy the single track trail better - but c'est la vie. There are some decent areas to tent overnight (which we did) if one so desires but this hike is definitely doable as a out and back single day hike. The first water crossing was flowing really well and we waded across in about 18" of water. The second water crossing from the meadow, we were able to stay on the log which crossed it with the assistance of trekking polls. Overall, a nice hike, but as a prior reviewer reminded, be respectful to the local land owners as you are hiking on private property for part of the hike. Also, watch out for mountain bikers coming down the trail.