Lola Montez Trail

Lola Montez Trail is a 6.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Soda Springs, California that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Truckee: Travel west on Hwy. #80 and take the Soda Springs exit. On the north side of the freeway follow the paved road east past the fire station for 0.3 miles to the parking area.

Great spot!

Great for a quick get away, saw a few mountain bikers and only 1 other couple hiking. Beautiful views at the lake!

One of my favorite trails❣️

Great hike, beautiful scenery. A lot of the hike is on gravel fire roads. Not as pretty as the single track, but still forested and scenic.

The lake makes it worth it. Walked around lower lake, tried to find the trail to upper lake by following cairns up the granite on the far side, but trail sort of disappeared, so we gave up and just enjoyed lower lake.

Lots of great places to camp around the lake and surrounding granite. Very picturesque. Will definitely come back for an overnight trip.

Beautiful hike!! The hike to the lower lake was easy to moderate. If you go the upper lake, there is a bit of rock scrambling and bouldering involved. You'll see stacks of rocks as trail markers along the way to the upper lake. There is a big rock in the middle of the upper lake that is great to swim too. Bring plenty of water if you go in hotter weather, there are parts that are exposed to the sun and you'll want to stay hydrated.

It was 110+ degrees in Roseville today, so we woke up early and headed up the hill. And it was a ton of fun. The destination lake was beautiful and fun to swim in, but we only saw very small fish (hooked into one using a fly rod). We also hiked to the rock peak to the left of the lake and enjoyed great views. There were a lot of mountain bikers in the area (Saturday so not a surprise). Great trail and swim for dogs, too.

Great trail and correctly rated as moderate. Nice stair climb section and the lake is very nice at the top.

Great trail, definitely some challenging parts but the lake at the top makes it all worth it!

Took my 9 year old daughter and 70 year old father on an overnight trip to this lake. My daughter gives the trip an 8 out of 10. We went to watch the meteor showers and saw about 7, but we didn't have a good view of the sky from where we were camped. The creek was crossable without getting your feet wet- August 13th. I only killed one mosquito, but it seems like there should have been more. Took us 2 hours 45 min to hike in with backpacks. 2 hours to hike out. There were close to a dozen people camped around the lake. Trail is well marked, but don't miss the turn to the lake. You can download that section in google maps and see where you are even with no signal. We had good signal with Verizon and T-Mobile at the lake.

8/4/17 - Hiked with my sister, my husband and our two kids ages 14 and 17. Beautiful hike through trees and on some gravel road (which is fine for group talking-while-hiking even though single-track is prettier) that gets steep in places so your heart gets pumping. It was fun to ford the creek, which you can do by stepping on rocks. No snow on the trail at all. The lake was gorgeous with only three other groups of people spread around it so we had a private boulder to picnic on and swim from. The lake was cold but not freezing. It felt great. When we started the hike I thought we were on a green "easy" trail so was surprised it was so challenging. Just now re-checking the All Trails description, Lower Lola Montez Trail is "easy" and Lola Montez Trail is "moderate." The trails look identical on the All Trails maps so I really don't know what the difference is. I would rate the trail moderate. And I would do it again and camp out.