Lockwood/Miller OHV Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow Star(57)
Los Padres National Forest

Lockwood/Miller OHV Trail is a 29.4 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Frazier Park, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for ohv/off road driving and is best used from May until November.

Distance: 29.4 miles Elevation Gain: 5,423 feet Route Type: Point to Point

ohv / off road driving

This road is closed from November to May every year.

Opening Day May 23, 2020

It was CLOSED as of Thursday May 7th. It may be open now not sure.

ohv/off road driving

Miller Jeep trail never disappoints. Big tires, lift with gears and lockers no problem, love the incline zigzag rock trail, so much fun. You will leave with some pin-striping.

ohv/off road driving

Very fun and difficult trail. No stock vehicle could make it up. Most difficult parts of the trail required 4x4. Went up in a Jeep Wrangler on 35s with a 3 1/2 in. lift. So much fun!!!!!

ohv/off road driving

Incredible trail. We did all 29 miles in a stock JL 4 door Sahara, just barely - equipped with the OEM bridgestone duelers. Don’t come up here in the other road spec OEM tires. Unlike some other trails that have an easy main road and various challenging offshoots, this one is a mandatory black diamond almost all the way through, but all doable. Limited slip helped immensely and lockers would absolutely boost confidence as it gets very rocky and challenging towards the top of the third and largest climb summiting the 6900 foot peak. Once you peak it finally lets you relax a little. Get on the trail by noon or else you’ll be wheeling at night, takes a solid 4-5 hours to run through. Unreal experience and loads of fun with insane views. Tons of technical wheeling and problem solving and a couple small/shallow river and creek crossings.

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport Offroad Trail

Sat Jun 01 2019

Awesome trail. Good all around trail with some easy but twisty trails some part good moderate and advanced sections. Stunning views.

Fri Feb 01 2019

Note: this review is for when I went during the fall back in October or so. I heard it's closed during the winter months starting November and won't open until May. You should check with the local ranger office or call to double check. Fun trail with steep and off camber climbs. Definitely recommend 4x4 with good off road tires and maybe rear locker. My stock Wrangler Rubicon made it through without damage but I used the lockers up the steep grades just to be safe.

Sat Dec 29 2018

Excellant challenging trail with great scenery. I've done this trail more than 5 times now. Every winter it changes. Last spring (2018) was the most challenging. I have a FJ Cruiser 3" lift 10K winch full set of Skids and rock sliders. ARB locker and ATRAC. This trail will show what upgrades you need for your Rig.

Sat Sep 22 2018

I Ran this trail with some friends, one 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee, another in a 2018 Wrangler Rubicon 4 door and yours truly in an 08 wrangler sport 2 door. I have a 2.5 inch lift on 35s. aired down to 18psi. and had a blast! the last part before you get to Dutchmans Camp. is the scariest part. but take your time it's about skill not speed. bring plenty of water, food, snacks. theres no cell phone reception for most of the trail so DONT GO ALONE!

Sun Jul 15 2018

Had a great day yesterday! We ran the trail with 9 rigs, no issues, no damage. It’s a fun day run for sure.

Tue Jul 10 2018

Did it today with a pretty much stock 2018 JK Rubicon all I have is 3/16” steel rock sliders for oil pan, trans pan, lower control arms skid, gas tank skid, front and rear diff skids aired down the stock tires to 24 psi and off I went by myself. I used my lockers maybe a handful times front and rear. I recommend to have at least 12” of clearance and 32” tires, I took my time and had the trail all for myself today single Rig no spotter (passengers) made it with just a few little scratches on my skids oh plus one rim got his first scratcher just before the Camp side.

Sun Jul 08 2018

I drove this trail in a lifted 4Runner. I read the reviews here first and I can say that it was pretty challenging and at times a bit of a nail biter! Not sure if it was I good idea but I went alone, without a spotter :). I dented up the underside of the Toyota and had lots of fun. Most definitely an adventure!

Sat Jun 30 2018

I drove all the way up there thinking “yeah it’s gonna be a hard trail but nothing my Tacoma can’t handle” turns out you really have to have a beefed up truck with rock sliders and bigger tires, and maybe a air compressor for when you air down. Ended up not doing it but did another down the hill with a easy sign attached to it. If your considering going, I would definitely have something like a Jeep or a lifted truck.

Thu May 17 2018

first time I did this trail I had a blast. second time I did this was a 10pm night run. it's long, it will take you a solid 2-3 hours depending how your rig is and how confident you are. 95% of it is easy, but the 5% will put any Toyota to its test if you choose the hard lines. I took it all with ease in my jeep wrangler. any stock jeep can do this trail easily, no lockers needed. towards the end of trail into camp ground, it looks intimidating for a first time experience, but all the rocks are solid in place and make for easy crawling through. none lifted Toyotas will have a bit of challenge but hey, get out and lay down a rock to make some stepping stones.. but try to kick them out after so the jeep guys can still enjoy the technical fun stuff :)

Thu May 03 2018

We have a 2000 Jeep Wrangler with a 3” lift and 33” tires. No lockers. We entered from Lockwood valley and popped out at the top of hungry valley. The trail was challenging at the beginning and at the end with large rocks and steep terrain. The last 2 miles are very challenging and slow going. Tight trails with some scratches from bushes. After this trail we added lockers and will be heading back out again. Plan on a full day of wheeling and don’t do it alone.

Sat Feb 17 2018

Went up there today with stock 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport 4 door factory Goodyear tires aired down to 29 psi we made it further then the junction of Yellow Jacket about another mile from there on up to the Miller Jeep trail. I tell you, don’t do it without a spotter or some experience. It is not recommended with the rig I had but it was fun even I had to bow down and turn around it was still a good time with the wife. All beginners be aware especially with stock rig!!!

Sat Dec 09 2017

Drove in off Lockwood Valley road, 3 Jeep Wrangler 4 doors, JKU, 2 were Rubicons. All had 3.5"lift and 37's or 35" tires. First time 4 wheeling a Jeep for all of us, though we all have off roading experience. Made it to the top of Alamo Mtn. via Miller Jeep Trail. It was a fun day with challenging hills with big boulders all over. Take the right line and it's pretty manageable. 4x4 lo, no locker and made it up to the top. Next time we'll bring the wives now we know what to expect. Regulatorz!!!! Mount up!!!

Sat Aug 26 2017

Amazing trail. Vader, my JKUR, worked its way just shy of half way with ease. Had to turn back due to time constraints but I can't wait till I get the chance to take on the whole thing.

Sat Jul 08 2017

this trail has lil bit of everything easy moderate and hard spots Its just Awesome !!

Thu Jun 29 2017

good challenging trail towards the top, lockers make it easy though.

Wed May 31 2017

I ran this trail in my 06 open-diff Xterra 4x4. With good spotting on a few obstacles, I was able to complete this trail with no issues. I had no body damage, only a few scrapes on rock sliders. Overall, this trail is challenging, but fun and a great learning experience to build up your skills. A lift is highly recommended with some under armor. Lockers will help greatly, but not necessary if lines are chosen correctly. It's all about the lines.

Mon Dec 19 2016

awesome trail, it's fun and challenging with 3 points of high intrested that I would rate 4 of 5 in diffulty ... the rest of the trail is a 3.. very fun and long trail none the less.... highly recommended it!

Tue Nov 22 2016

Great place to get away.

Sun Jul 10 2016

Good trail,I took my stock 2015 wrangler unlimited and made it out with no dents or damage.i would recommend doing it with another 4x4.

Tue May 31 2016

Correction this trail is closed for seasonal closure during the months of November through May, Source: Point Mugu 4x4 Club who maintains this trail through the Adopt-A-Trail program.